• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dr_ml422
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2007

MCE 2005 and sp3. Clean install.

Hi Chewy. I want to do a clean install w/mce 2005 and possibly slipstream sp3 to it.

Might as well burn my dell to the ground while it's still alive. Let's do this.
    SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

slipstreaming sp3 into mce 2005 is not supported and unless they release a special sp3 for it, will never be

Comment

• atifsh
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • May 2003

onlyclean way is install mce2005 frm scratch install both rollup packs then install sp3.
      after that now do what ever u want
      Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• dr_ml422
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • May 2007

Ok. So slipstreaming sp3 is not supported but i can add it after i do a clean install w/the rollup packs? is that correct? is it not supported at all or just as a slipstream? i would think that if it's not supported than what's the use of adding it on. some clarification would be appreciated. thnx.

i know ms is going to support xp 4 a lil while longer. any word if mce 2005 is going to be supported for a while also, and if so how much longer?

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Comment

• Chewy
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2003

was this your first xp type computer?

I would be looking for a retired xp home oem number/liscense myself, altho this is technically illegal(according to MS/ who by the way has been the most illegal corporation in world history, name another that has been sued as much by state federal and world governments)

Comment

• dr_ml422
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • May 2007

yes it was and i had no idea what i was getting. matter of fact 1st computer period. i've come a long way since. i do have my oem xp disc which i use on my new build. would i be able to install that in my dell? i don't know if it's hardwired to accept just the mce that came w/it.

Comment

• Chewy
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2003

you would have to have a different number/liscense to activate it

know anyone with a broken emachine?

that brand suffered total breakdowns where mobo, cpu and power supply all died at once

Comment

• dr_ml422
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • May 2007

isn't the number/liscence inherent to the oem disc? what's the emachine play in this? thnx.

Comment

• Chewy
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2003

your handmade/nlite oem disk will accept any valid xp home oem number, but it can't be in use on more than one computer

I used my disk I created to load an old dell in this thread

I just used the number from the outside of the case

Comment

• Chewy
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2003

afaik here are the different types of liscenses for xp, each require unique numbers

home oem
                    pro oem
                    retails
                    upgrades
                    pro corporate
                    pro student
                    last 2 are volume liscenses?????

Comment

• atifsh
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • May 2003

Originally Posted by dr_ml422
                      Ok. So slipstreaming sp3 is not supported but i can add it after i do a clean install w/the rollup packs? is that correct? is it not supported at all or just as a slipstream? i would think that if it's not supported than what's the use of adding it on. some clarification would be appreciated. thnx.

i know ms is going to support xp 4 a lil while longer. any word if mce 2005 is going to be supported for a while also, and if so how much longer?
                      sp3 is not supported on mce2005 as a slipstream.

yes u can install it later after u installed both update rollups
                      Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• dr_ml422
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • May 2007

Originally Posted by Chewy
                        slipstreaming sp3 into mce 2005 is not supported and unless they release a special sp3 for it, will never be
                        Ok Chewy. This is what properties shows under my computer. I'm using my dell right now w/the sp3 i slipstreamed as i posted earlier in the other thread you alluded to above.

Microsoft Windows Xp
                        Media Center Edition Version 2002
                        Service Pack 3

Now would this be supported and if so for how long? If not what would happen as a result of it not being supported? Thnx.

I don't know if it went back to the 2002 version after the slipstream or it justs says that and it's still mce 2005.
                        Last edited by dr_ml422; 2 Sep 2008, 10:14 AM. Reason: misquote

Comment

• Chewy
                          Super Moderator
                          • Nov 2003

When I googled all this, a lot of different things were tried, with varying results, I'll pass on this mess

People over at the MS technet were comparing MCE to windows millineum, that's about as bad as it gets

Comment

• dr_ml422
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            • May 2007

Originally Posted by Chewy
                            When I googled all this, a lot of different things were tried, with varying results, I'll pass on this mess

People over at the MS technet were comparing MCE to windows millineum, that's about as bad as it gets
                            Just got off that MS technet forum. Bunch of mess is right. wmp9 not ten. Amanda the dancer there and not there. under help and support in start menu it words it as mce 2004. Basically this version of windows is screwed up. I've always been pretty good on the phone. I'm seriously thinking about contacting dell and more or less letting them know I have a os which they shipped as 1 thing and turned up to b another. Hey I did get a new hd from them. Lol... Bottom line I'll just probably go find some old xp machine somewhere and slip my generic oem in here w/that liscence. Oh well you live and you learn.

Comment

Working...