X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

Puran Defrag free for personal use

I just tried Puran Defrag on my Windows Seven machine. I did the non-booting defrag with all optimizations. It felt very much like running MyDefrag Daily Optimize but with a much nicer on screen dislplay.

I ran Crystal Disk Mark afterwards and it got marks close to or a tad better that MyDefrag Daily Optimize on my 32 bit machine.

It also has idle processing and scheduling options as well as low-priority defrag for automatic modes. I haven't tried those yet. But I think it's worth getting just for the manual defrag mode.

You want to download the free edition. They say it's the same as the trial but with no time limit. Corporate customers are supposed to buy the licensed version.

Comment

• dr_ml422
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • May 2007

So you ran Puran Defrag on both your 32 n 64 bit flavours and liked the results? Is that correct?
      SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• MilesAhead
        Eclectician
        • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by dr_ml422
        So you ran Puran Defrag on both your 32 n 64 bit flavours and liked the results? Is that correct?
        Yup. Just tried it on Vista64 a bit ago. I haven't tried out the automatic modes yet. It looks like a nice software.

Comment

• dr_ml422
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • May 2007

Originally Posted by MilesAhead
          Yup. Just tried it on Vista64 a bit ago. I haven't tried out the automatic modes yet. It looks like a nice software.
          You still running the RC 7 x64 or this a new 7 x64? I remember you wanting to stay w/your Vista x64 since it was stable and running fine.

I'm glad you posting this not only as freeware but also as having no issues. I peeped that Native x64 site you posted. Pretty good stuff. Lot of new name software as well.

I got it. Hope software developers wakeup and start putting out complete support for x64 already and none of this x86 or will work w/x64 w/e crap.
          Last edited by dr_ml422; 5 Feb 2010, 07:14 PM.

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Comment

• MilesAhead
            Eclectician
            • Nov 2006

Yes, I ran it on Vista64 and on Windows7 32 bit. I tried to use automatic mode later but I think because it was already defragged it came on and analyzed and decided it didn't have to do anything. The automatic uses a separate program with no UI anyway. I'd rather just run in manually. But this version has all the optimizations of manual mode in the auto setup. Those who want to use scheduling or idle automatic can try it for themselves.

I like the UI quite a bit. You can really get an idea what it's doing. Plus it has the defrag on boot settings if you need to defrag your page file or whatnot.

I set my page file min and max the same. It's pretty rare I need to do a boot time defrag. Maybe once a year.

Comment

• dr_ml422
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • May 2007

Since playing w/7 and seeing how much better it is from the gate I haven't dove into any tweaking to make it more efficient or w/e. This page file thing though I have seen and read quite a few posts. I'll Google this one day to see what's up. I know for sure it's a storage tweak of sorts.

Miles as a software guy haven't you also kinda wondered why software developers are being either too lazy or slow to bring out Native x64 ware? I mean the writing's on the wall.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                Eclectician
                • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by dr_ml422
                Since playing w/7 and seeing how much better it is from the gate I haven't dove into any tweaking to make it more efficient or w/e. This page file thing though I have seen and read quite a few posts. I'll Google this one day to see what's up. I know for sure it's a storage tweak of sorts.

Miles as a software guy haven't you also kinda wondered why software developers are being either too lazy or slow to bring out Native x64 ware? I mean the writing's on the wall.
                There's always a lag time. Corporate programmers that have resources to get the latest and greatest tools will always have the jump. As the system matures the little guys get a chance to catch up. But who can spend money to write free software? With the internet now you can download almost any small to medium sized utility and use it for nothing. How is the one man shop supposed to buy tools? He isn't.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • May 2007

I was almost confused but i get you now as far as the lil guy. The big guys though like game developers and so forth should be on this. Even Google which is no small enterprise should by now be having a x64 browser. I think Minefield comes in x64.

Oh well, I'd just hate to see a lot of good programs disappear for lack of support down the road. There's a couple already that prolly most of us used that basically are either just about dead or soon to be. I'll maybe start a thread about this. don't want to go OT here.

Thnx for the reply as always though.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                    Eclectician
                    • Nov 2006

Toggle

Toggle is a little utility I wrote for my own use, mostly with Firefox. But you can use it with any window with a title:

This website is for sale! favessoft.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, favessoft.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

It's the one that just says Toggle, not to be confused with TopMost Toggle that's lower down on the page.

Usage: Toggle [% width] [% height] Title

e.g. Toggle 75 90 Opera

It sits in the tray. When you press Alt-F11 or double click the icon, it looks for a window with title Title, saves its current size and position, then centers it and sizes it the specified %width and %height of the desktop.
                    If you only specify one number that will be used for both. If you specify no number, just the Title, 50 will be used for both. Also if you don't specify any params it will assume Firefox at the size I like. If you don't like that size, specify something.

Why? Because I hate maximizing apps. When maximized they block RocketDock and other stuff. This way I can hit the hotkey and toggle between big(but not maximized) and original size and position. (btw if the associated window is maximized, the command will do nothing in order not to mess up the stored window state used by Windows.)

btw I know there are a zillion windows size control utilities out there. I just don't like something intercepting stuff and changing it on the fly. Mainly I want to have this action with my browser, not every app on the desktop. Keep It Simple Stupid, or simply stupid.. whatever... simple enough if it breaks I can probably fix it.

Once launched it only toggles window with Title. You can launch more than one with different params to toggle different windows, but only the 1st can capture the hotkey. But you can just Double Click the Tray Icon to toggle. The tooltip tells you which window that instance toggles. (It matches any substring in the window caption. If more than one window comes up a match, it should pick the one most recently active.)

If the associated window is not found, it pops up an error dialog for 2 seconds. I try to save the active window and restore around the error dialog to avoid it stealing the focus, but that only works with the hotkey. Naturally if you double click a Tray Icon, no desktop window has the focus anyway.

It should work with Windows XP and later. It's only for the main monitor.
                    I don't have multiple monitors to test multi-monitor stuff.

You are welcome to use it at your own risk.

I'll probably submit it to Softpedia. If you prefer to download from big sites, look for it there maybe early next week(I don't think they work on weekends putting up new stuff.)

I recommend creating an empty folder and unzipping into it. Then set up your shortcuts or use from a batch file. There's an included Readme.txt with details. There's no .ini file or Registry settings with this one. The main "gotcha'" could be if you forget and launch more than one with the same params. Then I recommend closing them all and opening just one, so that you'll have a chance to capture the hotkey.

It's an AutoIt3 compiled app that uses UPX to compress the resources. That's why it may be flagged false positive by your av program.

What else? Um, it's free for you to use at your own risk. Hope you enjoy it. If not, just delete the folder and shortcuts and it's gone.

Comment

• blutach
                      Not a god of digital video
                      • Oct 2004

For sizing and maximising apps - eg IE, also consider autosizer, which I have found to be terrific.

Automatically maximize and resize your programs. Control their size, position, and even set them as Always On Top.

Regards
                      Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
                      [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• MilesAhead
                        Eclectician
                        • Nov 2006

Toggle is a little utility I wrote for my own use, mostly with Firefox. But you can use it with any window with a title:

This website is for sale! favessoft.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, favessoft.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

It's the one that just says Toggle, not to be confused with TopMost Toggle that's lower down on the page.

Usage: Toggle [% width] [% height] Title
                        Now the only parameter is optional Window Title as in:
                        Toggle [WinTitle] for example: Toggle Opera.

I've changed the design of Toggle to be dedicated to toggling one window. I really wrote it to toggle my browser between 2 non-maximized sizes and positions. Rather than center the window it now has 2 Toggle states, Red and Green. When you toggle it saves the current size and position then moves the window to the alternate size and position. If no alternate has been initialized, it pops up a dialog advising you to resize the window. The color of the Tray Icon is changed to indicate the current Toggle state.
                        The Tray Icon Tooltip tells you the title of the current associated window. You can change the window title association using the Tray Icon Menu.

This way there's no "starting" size or position or any need to keep the Toggle settings and window position in synch. You can keep moving and sizing the window and hitting the hotkey to save the last position and size.

Settings are saved to an .ini file in the Toggle folder.
                        It's special purpose but someone may enjoy using it.

edit: btw you can also use [ACTIVE] (yes, with the brackets just as typed)
                        for WinTitle to use it with the active window, no matter what it is. Bring
                        your editor up front, hit the hotkey, resize and position, hit the hotkey again,
                        now you have your 2 window settings set up. Toggle back and forth. That
                        way you don't have to care what the window is. As long as it is a single top level window like a browser, notepad, editpad lite etc.. it should work.

another edit: in fact I just uploaded. The latest version, file version 1.2.5.1, has the keyword
                        [ACTIVE] as the default. You can change it to a specific window title using the command line or the Tray Icon Menu.
                        Last edited by MilesAhead; 16 Feb 2010, 01:49 PM.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                          Eclectician
                          • Nov 2006

Updated Toggle to v. 1.5.

Spiffed it up with a bit of Glass for Vista and W7 users.
                          I rewrote the Readme to better explain what the utility
                          is for.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                            Eclectician
                            • Nov 2006

Explorer size/position monitor

This one is still in the beta stage if anyone wants to try it out.
                            It's strictly for people who only use one Explorer window, and
                            have a problem with it not opening to the preferred size and
                            position.

I'm writing it for someone who uses an Explorer AddOn that
                            has multiple tabs, so therefore he only has one Explorer window open.

The program sits in the tray and watches for an Explorer window. When it sees it, if it has not resized explorer window already, it moves it to the size and position indicated in the .ini file settings. That's all.

Run it once, then quit to create an .ini file in the same folder as the .exe. Then just change the x,y, width and height to what you want. You shouldn't have to mess with the Sleep setting unless it is running up the CPU on you.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• jonkit
                              • Feb 2010

To the forum not a reply to the post

CAN'T find a "new thread" button
                              I only wanted to say,
                              Please get rid of all the FAKE download links, leaving the real one.
                              Now I also want to say,
                              INSTALL a "new thread" button that CAN be found, as is implied in the FAQ !

Comment

• MilesAhead
                                Eclectician
                                • Nov 2006

The program sits in the tray and watches for an Explorer window. When it sees it, if it has not resized explorer window already, it moves it to the size and position indicated in the .ini file settings. That's all.

Updated to v. 1.1.0.2
                                I've added help in TreePad format. (You need at least TreePad Lite 3.0 to view the help, but there's also a plain text readme. A TreePad file is way smaller than .chm esp. if no pictures are required.)

Also you can size the Explorer window, then hit a Save settings command in the Tray Icon Menu. No need to edit the .ini file settings. Added a Reload Settings command so you can edit the .ini file if you want without having to close the application. Edit .ini and save changes, then hit Reload so the changes are not overwritten on close.

Maybe one of these days I'll adapt this to use with a selectable window for those pesky windows that won't open to the correct size.. but that's in the future.

Just search ResizeExplorer on my Downloads Page

Comment

Working...