Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • snifferpro
    • Oct 2023

Compress an old movie on DVD to an MKV file

Objective - Rip an old DVD (not protected) to a compressed file on disk. Preferably MKV or MP4.
    I have many DVD's that I'd like to rip and save to disk with as little space and size as necessary for a quality movie.

I’m a complete novice to using ffmpeg to rip a DVD to a compressed (mkv) file.

I’ve played around with it a little, but there are just too many parameters with the command line switches for this old mind.

Basically all I want to do is rip some old movie DVD’s to disk creating a compressed file similar to the ones you might download from YouTube.
    I won’t need the physical DVD’s if I can do this and drive space will be limited till I can upgrade (add an SSD just for movies).
    Anyone have a good example of the command line for ffmpeg (with an explanation) to do this that they can share?

Thanks

Input file = I drive - DVD drive
    Or
    C:\Movies\dvd (dvd copied to this drive)

Desired output file location
    G:\Movies\mkv

Output file name
    Movie 01.mkv
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Have you tried VidCoder? It's a GUI for Handbrake and handles DVD to MKV/MP4 conversion in a set and forget manner:

VidCoder is an open-source DVD/Blu-ray ripping and video transcoding application for Windows. It uses HandBrake as its encoding engine.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

Working...