Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BR7
    He is coming to your little town!
    • Aug 2005

I wasn't aware of that, thanks for the heads up.At least it's easy to see the difference between the two by the different cover art.I think I might pick it up at tower next week

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• NightTran
      King of Digital Video
      King of Digital Video
      • Aug 2005

is it ten episoles?
      sigpic

Comment

• admin
        Administrator
        • Nov 2001

All versions are eleven episodes I think, but the US version's episodes are missing some scenes.

Actually, the US versions only have 4 discs, while the European/Australian version has 5 discs. In terms of the actual documentary itself, the BBC version (US or European/Australian) is the best. In terms of extra features, the European/Australian version is the best, followed by the Discovery version (which has about 30 minutes of extras), and lastly the US BBC version (which has no extras at all). I think the 5th discs contains the same extra as the 5th disc in the DVD set (which is 5 discs in the US as well), but not in HD.

Here's the difference between the US BBC and Discovery versions, from the High Def Digest review:

This US edition of the series is different in several ways compared to the previously-released BBC edition. Among the changes made by The Discovery Channel for the US broadcast were a re-sequencing of the series' eleven episodes, a new main music theme, and the replacement of David Attenborough's narration with the decidedly less British actress/conservationist Sigourney Weaver. Most controversially, the Discovery Channel version also excised roughly 6- to 7-minutes of material out of each episode to allow for commercial interruptions. The result is a total runtime of approximately 480 minutes for the domestic version of 'Planet Earth,' versus 530 for the unexpurgated BBC edition.
        Last edited by admin; 7 Mar 2008, 11:51 AM.
        Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• admin
          Administrator
          • Nov 2001

Apparently several thousand orders were made for Planet Earth from the online store (JB Hi-Fi), with most coming after 3am. The sale didn't officially start until 11:30pm the previous night, so that's a lot of orders during the night. The item officially became unavailable around 8am.

Many of the orders were coming from the US, and there were quite a few bulk orders that asked for 50 and even 100 copies ... JB will apparently give preference to Australian orders first, and then probably to personal orders, so hopefully those eBayers who ordered 100 copies will miss out.

Comment

• admin
            Administrator
            • Nov 2001

Crap. My order got cancelled. Apparently, it only took 15 minutes for all stock to be depleted (stock was said to be at 1000 copies), and my order (while early compared to most others) was already about an hour after the news first broke, and about 140 orders too late. Out of the 30 or so HD DVDs I've ordered, this is the first order that has been cancelled.

Note to self: avoid JB Hi-Fi Online in future

Comment

• admin
              Administrator
              • Nov 2001

Yes! Secured my copy of the 5 Disc Planet Earth version for $USD 30 with shipping. Not as cheap as before, but I'll take it. Several hundred copies sold within an hour!

Comment

• tigerman8u
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Aug 2003

I got the set Planet Earth about 2 months ago when prices were higher. $52 with shipping. I haven't watched all of it yet but what I have watched is really great. IMO
                anybody that gets this set will really enjoy. it.

Comment

• jmet
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2002

Just bought Planet Earth HD-DVD set for $29.00 + free shipping

Comment

• doctorhardware
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Dec 2006

If I had a H/D DVD player I would be buying the sell out.
                    Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• admin
                      Administrator
                      • Nov 2001

There are some crazy people on eBay, and questionable characters as well buying bulk in the fire sales and selling them online once stock has been depleted. Here's on example (Bee Movie for $400?):

I tracked a couple of Planet Earth (Australian edition) on eBay, and most of them sold for $70 and beyond.

The XE1 I got last month for $550, one actually sold (I think it was used) for $800 on eBay just recently.

Comment

• jmet
                        Super Moderator
                        • Nov 2002

If anyone is wanting to purchase Planet Earth (HD-DVD Version) for $29 + free shipping, here is the link: http://shopping.discovery.com/product-65764.html

Just found a $5 off coupon (grrrrr wish I would have found it before I ordered), you would apply the coupon after clicking checkout...it would bring the price down to 24.99 I believe. Here is the coupon code: EML2008
                        Last edited by jmet; 14 Mar 2008, 01:39 AM.

Comment

• BR7
                          • Aug 2005

I finally ordered my BR copy of Planet Earth this week,I got it for $45 Brand New at Blu-rayboxsets.com. I was wondering if any of you have seen the Wild China documentary? BBC is releasing it July 1st on BR and DVD.

The two-disc set will include all six 50min episodes, including "The Great Ricebowl", "The Forests of Shangri La", "Tibet", "Beyond the Great Wall", "Land of the Dragon" and "Crowded Coasts". Also included will be the making-of featurette "Hunting Dragon."
                          Link to story
                          Last edited by BR7; 23 Mar 2008, 06:05 AM.

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• admin
                            Administrator
                            • Nov 2001

I've only watched the first disc of PE so far (not enough time!), and it's fantastic, better than what I had expected. The scene in the first episode where the flowers bloom ... it was like 3D. Best $30 I've ever spent.

Although I'm not sure if it is applicable to the US 4 disc version, but the packaging on our local 5 disc version is horrible. They basically crammed 5 discs into the same case as a normal single disc movie, and so the first and last discs have scratches. The middle plastic holder for the 2/3/4th discs are also sometimes broken (snapped off due to pressure of too many discs in the package. The local Blu-ray version is the same. Perhaps the 4 discs version is slightly better, but it's something to watch out for. Didn't have any playback problems though, even though the scratches looked pretty deep.

Comment

• BR7
                              • Aug 2005

I will let you know how it was packed when it arrives at my house sometime next week Maybe they will pack it like the Blade Runner: 5-Disc Complete Collector's Edition,it was just a thick case with 5 of those flap things in it (not sure what they are called LOL).

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• admin
                                Administrator
                                • Nov 2001

Our local version of PE comes in the fat case as well, but I think the grooves in which the disc is placed is too thin and the discs are actually touching the case. It wouldn't be a problem if the discs didn't move around freely, but they do, and so there are circular scratches. I've did a bit of a search and apparently, the US version may suffer from the same problem. Some say it's manufacturing defect, since the case it self shouldn't have caused the scratches. Both the Blu-ray version and the HD DVD version are affected, which to me, suggest more of a problem with the identical case being used rather than some glitch in manufacturing.

I hope they stop trying to cram so many discs into a smaller package ... just use multiple thin cases, each holding 2 or 3 discs.

Speaking of Blade Runner, I'm really tempted to get the 5 disc edition, having never watched it properly before (don't have the DVD). I've read many reviews which say this 5 disc edition is fantastic and other "special edition" HD movies should learn from Warner's example here.

Comment

Working...