Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

Well I get what you're saying but why wouldn't these elderly people have gotten the coupons a year ago when they had plenty of them?

If people don't watch TV enough to see the DTV transition advertised they probably won't even miss it! Basically, the government will be rewarding laziness! I mean, they approved me for two coupons and I said I have cable. (There were some reserved for those with no cable, though)

It's not that I have a problem with delaying the date (apart from the frame ghosting thing I mentioned which just makes watching local channels a PITA), it's more the concept of this thing has been planed for well over a year and now they want to undermine that and change the date... they could delay it by 2 years and still not 100% of people will be ready. It's just a fact the government will have to admit.
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

• Abuilder
      Digital Video Enthusiast
      Digital Video Enthusiast
      • Oct 2006

Drf
      Some elderly people won’t understand the need for a convert box until their TV turns into snow. And when that happens I can see a few just listening to there AM radios. while they are complaining about the damn government. LOL
      And YES the money factor is a big issue for people on a fixed income. Give it 40+ years Danny, then you'll understand.

I got my box about three months ago and really enjoy all the extra station with digital. The funny thing is, about three weeks ago my old analog TV decided to take a dump so I ended up buying a digital ready LCD TV anyway. Go figure!
      They tried to Assimilate me and failed!

Comment

• drfsupercenter
        NOT an online superstore
        • Oct 2005

Some elderly people won’t understand the need for a convert box until their TV turns into snow.
        Well how would that be any different in July then?

And all my local channels have been "advertising" the DTV transition forever... like "If you don't get a converter box or a new TV you won't be able to enjoy this station after 2/17" How do you miss that? I mean, once or twice I understand... I don't even watch commercials and I've seen those ads.
        CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
        Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• Abuilder
          Digital Video Enthusiast
          Digital Video Enthusiast
          • Oct 2006

Drf
          A big part of this change over to digital is, some people just don’t like the idea that BIG Brother is forcing the change. That is a crock of sh1t!
          My question is:
          Who got paid off and who did the paying to force this change.!
          It all smells like a SONY type transaction to me.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
            NOT an online superstore
            • Oct 2005

Big brother is still gonna be forcing the change if they move it to July!

Nobody's getting paid off except all the Chinese companies that make the converter boxes. And I'm willing to bet anything, they'll move it to July... it'll roll around, come June they'll go "OMG, 4 million people still aren't ready!" and want to push it back some more.
            Imagine if they moved the Superbowl back a couple weeks because not everybody was going to be home on that night.

To quote the Joker: "Nobody panics when things go "according to plan." Even if the plan is horrifying! If, tomorrow, I tell the press that, like, a gang banger will get shot, or a truckload of soldiers will be blown up, nobody panics, because it's all "part of the plan."
            All that'll happen is people who did buy converter boxes will get confused and be like "why'd I waste my money if the government lied about the date?"
            CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
            Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• doctorhardware
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Dec 2006

I have not received the Visa debit cards as of yet for the converter box. I decided if the government wants to give out money might as well get in on the deal.
              Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                NOT an online superstore
                • Oct 2005

They aren't Visa debit cards... they look like credit cards but they're just $40 off coupons. You can't use them on anything but converter boxes.
                CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• doctorhardware
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Dec 2006

The Visa card that I saw at Tiger Direct for the digital TV tuner, said debit above the Visa 3D logo. So that is what I am going by. I have not received mine in the mail as of yet.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                    NOT an online superstore
                    • Oct 2005

This is what they look like:

I saw some at Wal-Mart and Target that would be $10 after the coupon. And they aren't bad, either.
                    I also got one at Best Buy for a bit more, because it had S-Video output (slightly better quality.) But the actual user interface is terrible... the cheaper ones are actually better LOL
                    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                    Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• PurpleDemon
                      Digital Video Expert
                      Digital Video Expert
                      • Mar 2006

Senate passes bill to delay digital TV switch

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The Senate passed a bill on Monday to delay the nationwide switch to digital TV signals, giving consumers nearly four more months to prepare.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090127/tv_nm/us_dtv_congress

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                        NOT an online superstore
                        • Oct 2005

Just watch, June will roll around and people still won't be ready.

Sad. Just sad. Now I'm glad I have cable... this is just stupid. (Though, on that note, now that I'll be suffering from ghosting a while longer... anyone know how to filter out antenna signals from the coax cable?)
                        CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                        Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• PurpleDemon
                          Digital Video Expert
                          Digital Video Expert
                          • Mar 2006

Did you try the terminators Doc talked about in post #3?

Comment

• Budreaux
                            • Jan 2006

Originally Posted by drfsupercenter
                            Just watch, June will roll around and people still won't be ready.

Sad. Just sad. Now I'm glad I have cable... this is just stupid. (Though, on that note, now that I'll be suffering from ghosting a while longer... anyone know how to filter out antenna signals from the coax cable?)
                            I still don;t get why you are so bothered by this.
                            You have cable, so you won;t even see a difference when the switch is made.
                            This is the right thing to do. The economy took a serious dive and we are in the process of trying to repair it, but until we do, many/most folks are note buying more than needed, and some are not even able to buy what is needed.
                            Sure, your ghosting problem will go away, but it is also easily corrected with a little know-how.

So please, focus your energies on correcting that issue and less on complaining about others that are less fortunate than yourself.

Comment

• doctorhardware
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              • Dec 2006

That picture is different from the one's I saw at tiger direct, that this lady was using. So I am confused, when the tuners were wrong up, the cards were slide through the credit terminal it deducted $40 per card. So I do not know where they got the cards.

Comment

• Abuilder
                                Digital Video Enthusiast
                                Digital Video Enthusiast
                                • Oct 2006

Doc
                                The two coupons I got looked the same as the pic that drf posted. I applied for mine online at www.drv2009.gov. That was back in june or july and got them within 6 weeks.
                                Last edited by admin; 27 Jan 2009, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Working...