Avatar Blu-ray DRM Causing Playback Problems?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Budreaux
    • Jan 2006

My HTPC had no issues, just had to update PowerDVD.

I originally watched the DVD version, then I watched it on BR and the difference is extremely noticable, at least it is to me. The reflections, shimmering surfaces, vivid colors....

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

Maybe not the right place to post this, but the DRM problem is compounded by the fact that this Blu-ray movie sold in record numbers.

Avatar had 48.8% Blu-ray market share for the first week of release. In other words, almost as many Blu-ray/DVD combo versions of the movie had been sold compared to the DVD only version. The combo version is only $4 more expensive than the DVD only version (meaning essentially, you can get the Blu-ray version for $4 more if you want, and I think most people would want that, even if they don't have a Blu-ray player at the moment). Avatar helped Blu-ray market share to reach a high of 22% - the previous high was the week District 9 was released, with 21.18% - not as high as some predicted (including myself), but that's mainly because the movie was so damn popular, even the DVD only version sold in huge numbers.

Full stats will be posted here in a couple of hours.
      Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• Tiamat26
        • Nov 2010

I was wondering if anyone purchased the Extended edition of the movie and if they were also getting issues with the extended cut at chapter 38 onward. I had no issues with pixelation at all from my blue ray copy till that chapter.

Then after that it all went to hell. I did the firmware update on my Sharp 22 u just before playing it as it would not even read the disk. My Sharp says its up to date with all the software firmware updates.

This is depressing having spent this amount of money to have an original copy of this movie and all its peripherals just so that I don't enjoy the end of the movie.

if you are having the same issues as I am starting from Chapter 38 onward please let me know I am not the only one...

Thank you

Tiamat26

Comment

• dr_ml422
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • May 2007

Welcome Tiamat and thanks for sharing this as I was going to give it to my cousin as a xmas gift. I'll just get him another nice Blu-ray Movie.
          SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• doctorhardware
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Dec 2006

The extended version plays fine on a samsung blurry. Did not have to do a firmware update, on the samsung.
            Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

Working...