X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Netflix Now Accounts for More than a Third of Peak Internet Traffic

Internet users streaming Netflix videos are using more than a third of all Internet traffic during peak hours, according to a new report.

The report by network management firm Sandvine Inc highlights the growing popularity of video streaming, in particular, Netflix's offering, in North America. 34% of all Internet traffic during peak times were traced back to Netflix usage, up from 32% in the latter half of 2013.

And perhaps unsurprisingly, Internet users flocking to Netflix's huge video library are also now pirating less. File sharing traffic, once as high as 31% of all peak traffic, now only accounts for 8.3%.

Sandvine also provided information on so called "cord-cutters", those that have moved away from traditional cable offerings to rely solely on online based content. These users, Sandvine says, were the top 15 per cent of streamers and downloaded an average of 212 GB of data per month, equivalent to about 100 hours of video.

This compares with the bottom 15%, users who only used on average 5 GB of data.

Netflix recently signed major deals with top ISPs to ensure the smooth flow of data to subscribers.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • rago88
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Aug 2005

Is the streaming 1080I OR P?
    I never did Netflixs streaming but when I watch a movie I want to see it at full quality that my Plasma projects.. Not at a lower resolution.

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

Resolution will vary dynamically based on available bandwidth, but the highest quality (not counting the couple of 4K resolution titles, for those with compatible TVs) is Super HD which is 1080p at about 6 Mbps. The bitrate doesn't sound high, but Netflix uses a highly optimized encoder and so can get away with it (so quality is not quite Blu-ray, but not too far behind either).
      Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

Working...