Cinavia Anti-Piracy Protection Close to Being Cracked?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Cinavia Anti-Piracy Protection Close to Being Cracked?

A major development may be about to happen in the anti-piracy cat and mouse game between Hollywood and movie pirates, with the hard-to-break Cinavia protection being broken, according to the publishers of a DVD copying software.

Cinavia is a digital watermarking technology designed to foil those that download pirated videos. While it does not prevent copying of Blu-rays, the copied movie will have the digital watermark incorporated within, even after converting to other formats, like MKV or AVI. When played on a device supporting Cinavia, which is all Blu-ray players produced since 2012, including the PS3 and PC software solutions, the watermarked clip may lose sound or playback will simply stop, with an error message informing users of "unauthorized playback".

Cinavia has been at the center of controversy and criticism, both because it is more difficult to remove than other types of anti-piracy protection, and because it prevents users from performing format-shifting, which usually falls under fair use.

But now, a company that has been working on breaking Cinavia for the last couple of years has finally succeeded. Pixbyte, makers of the $69.99 DVD-Ranger software, claims to now have a process that strips Cinavia from downloaded files, including downloaded MKV, AVI and MP4 files.

The entire process only takes 20-minutes, and involved re-encoding the audio track (where the Cinavia watermark is stored), while the video and subtitle tracks are untouched. The software itself also does not perform the actual DVD or Blu-ray decryption, requiring users to obtain other tools to perform what the DVD-Ranger website says is "illegal DRM disabling".

The authors of the software don't believe that breaking Cinavia will bring them legal trouble, at least not in their native country, Germany.

"In our country it is only forbidden to develop and sell software that circumvents copy protection. The law doesn't mention digital watermarks. So is it legal? Definitely," Pixbyte's Ingo Förster told the BitTorrent news website, TorrentFreak.
    Last edited by admin; 27 May 2014, 06:12 PM.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

Wait, which formats actually have Cinavia anti-piracy exactly?

Are you saying retail Blu-Ray movies will have it? Or it's only for digital download videos like Vudu or something?
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

Some Blu-rays movies will have it, and all Blu-ray players released since 2012 will support Cinavia. It's an audio watermark that's persistent even after you convert the Blu-ray to another format, like MKV.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
        NOT an online superstore
        • Oct 2005

Interesting... is there a way to know if a Blu-Ray has it?

I'm surprised AnyDVD doesn't remove it. Or does it?
        CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
        Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
          Administrator
          • Nov 2001

There are updated lists of titles (mostly Blu-rays, but some DVDs too) you do a Google search - not sure which list is the most updated. Most of the listed titles are from Sony studios.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
            NOT an online superstore
            • Oct 2005

Without entering too deeply into the technical details, the Cinavia anti-piracy system relies on a special type of watermarking which enables it to stay

Interesting. I hadn't even heard of such a thing. But then again, I don't copy Blu-Rays. I was just not aware that there were any DRM schemes which hadn't been cracked yet.
            CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
            Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
              Administrator
              • Nov 2001

Originally Posted by drfsupercenter
              https://torrentfreak.com/cinavia-vid...anydvd-130313/

Interesting. I hadn't even heard of such a thing. But then again, I don't copy Blu-Rays. I was just not aware that there were any DRM schemes which hadn't been cracked yet.
              Yeah, it's easy to bypass it on the PC since you can always use a non Cinavia compatible player (like Media Player Classic, or pretty much any non Blu-ray/BDA certified media player) and they won't even try to detect the Cinavia watermark.

But on standalones or game consoles like the PS3 (and PS4, Xbox One), you'll need a Cinavia ripper to get rid of the watermark, which has so far been difficult to do (some releases substitute audio tracks from non protected sources).

The company that has done it released a white paper in 2013 on how to detect and remove the signal, and they're the first (but probably not the last) to have successfully done it.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                NOT an online superstore
                • Oct 2005

Can Media Player Classic even play Blu-Rays properly yet? Last I looked into it, you had to open the m2ts file directly, which wouldn't give you the menus or anything.

I had an OEM copy of WinDVD that came with my Blu-Ray drive but it was such a hassle to watch BD movies on my computer that I just stick to my PS3 (and now, Xbox One)
                CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
                  Administrator
                  • Nov 2001

I was mainly talking about converted files, but I think work is progressing on MPC's Blu-ray playback functionalities, including menus and stuff.

Comment

Working...