X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Xbox One Sans Kinect Provides 10% GPU Performance Boost

Ahead of the E3 expo taking place over the next week, Microsoft has announced that by now making Kinect an optional accessory, developers can access up to 10% more GPU processing power than before.

Microsoft recently announced that the Kinect motion gaming device will no longer be a core part of the Xbox One platform, and that consoles without the camera device will now be sold.

Previously, Microsoft had insisted that the Kinect device had its own processing resources and the way it is integrated into the Xbox One system would not negatively affect the overall performance of the console. It appears now that these assertions may not be completely accurate, that some system resources were reserved for Kinect, and that by removing Kinect from being an integral part of system operations, developers will be able to access additional GPU resources.

Microsoft's Larry Hryb later confirmed via Twitter that developers will need to modify existing code to take advantage of the performance boost gained from accessing the GPU reserves.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

Interesting. I bought my Xbox One at launch so it came with the Kinect - though I don't ever use it, it usually sits unplugged unless I am playing a game that requires it.

One thing that has irked me from the start is that you can't set the system to automatically log you in, since it wants you to use the Kinect to sign in (e.g. by standing in front of the TV), without it hooked up you have to go to "sign in" and select your profile every time.

Any word if there will be a firmware issue that lets you fully utilize the console without it asking you to plug in the Kinect to do basic functions?
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

Working...