Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

More details about Reyes's move to Arsenal - apparently, we have to win the Champions League for the next 5 consecutive seasons (and Reyes must play in 125 matches, which isn't too hard to achieve) in order for us to pay the full price of £17m for him (otherwise, it stays at £11m). I think it would be easier for Sevilla to just win this money by putting 10 quid at the bookies, then to hope for something even Real Madrid can't achieve

(although if we did do it, then any amount of money is worth it)

Personally, I don't think he will make much of an impact this season, or possibly this year. It's a whole new country and lifestyle for the kid, and even with Henry and Pires, it took them more than a year to settle in. Still, he will probably make more of an impact than Wiltord or Jeffers this season - it's hard not to. But Wenger has been keeping an eye on Reyes for the last 18 month, our chief scout has spent more time in Seville than at home, so he is definitely the player Wenger sees as essential for success.

RvN has also signed a contract extension. I don't think Real Madrid will get either him or Henry, as their pulling power isn't as great anymore due to Chelsea and their new sugar daddy. The EPL is fast becoming the place to be, so why would RvN and Henry move away from it?

And yeah, rumour is that we've also signed Defoe and he will be announced as a surprise signing in today's press conference. Trez, Ronaldo and van Persie to come in the summer
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• Oriphus
      Digital Video Technician
      Digital Video Technician
      • Aug 2003

It looks like its a cert you will only be paying the £11 million then. Reyes is quite a young player so it is likely it will take him a while to settle at the club, but who knows, he could make a big impact on the scene at Arsenal soon. Gerry Armstrong reckons he is the second best youngster in spain this season, after of course Fernando Torres, who is absolutely amazing - captaining his team at only 19/20? Wow!! He by the way, is linked with coming to us in the Summer. Now that would be a hell of a signing. Carlos Puyol is still linked as a saummer transfer target - if we got him and torres our side would be soo strong.

Dont really see RvN or Henry going anywhere to be truthful. Alex Ferguson may be heading though after this new year rolling contract. Think thats Magnier and McManus's falt though. I wonder if Liverpool can hold on for another year to Houllier and then hopefully we can get Martin O'Neill down from celtic, who i think would make one of the best managers, though Alex is of course amazing himself.
      http://www.dvd-backup.tk

Comment

• admin
        Administrator
        • Nov 2001

Great debuts for the top three teams' new players. I watched the United game live, and I think it's fair to say that you were very lucky to have won that game - Southampton fully deserved a draw, and probably something more. Saha did very well in the first half, although for the rest of the game, he seemed to want to pass the ball to someone else at the first opportunity.

The same with the Blackburn-Chelsea game - a late equaliser wasn't enough, I guess. Parker did well, although Chelsea's other 15 midfielders (that's an actual number, if you include players on loan at other clubs) could do the same probably.

Arsenal's game was a very scrappy one, mostly because of the terrible conditions. And that's another brawl, although to be fair, most of the players involved were trying to break things up between Cole, Edu and Anelka. What a way to introduce Reyes to English football - first game in a new country after only about two day's training, the worst possible playing conditions, a fight or two (one of which he was involved in, after being pushed and shoved for no apparent reason), and still, he managed a very good shot on target and kept up the pressure and forced an error from James. I think the kid will fit in nicely.

Comment

• Oriphus
          Digital Video Technician
          Digital Video Technician
          • Aug 2003

Yeah, reyes does look like good potential. I think that Saha is doing very well at UNited. 3 goals in 2 games is an impressive start, though he will always have a great load of support. I am getting annoyed though at the amount of goals we are conceding. We shouldnt be conceding 3 goals to Everton, or 2 to Aston Villa. The defense should be stronger than that. I hope that we arent taking the attitude that Real Madrid had that if they score 4 we'll score 5, etc...

Just back from skiing, damn good fun

Comment

• admin
            Administrator
            • Nov 2001

Welcome back. Saha does look good, but it seems that your goal scoring problem has been fixed, defence has become your new problem. I've said it before, but your season is strikingly similar to our last one - great going foward, defensively questionable due to a suspension to your key defender. Arsenal look more balanced, even though we have a serious striker shortage at the moment, but Henry is a player and a half, so we'll cope.

Reyes will take time to settle, but he's already shown more than Jeffers has shown in 2 years at the club, or Wiltord this season (considering Reyes was sick for the most part of last week, and had to go back to Spain to say final goodbyes, such was his quick and sudden departure). We seem to be more confident when he is playing (not counting the Carling Cup game, as he wasn't fit to play anyway), as the last two league games have shown (the winning goals in both games were scored after Reyes was subbed on). He won't make an instant impact like Saha, but then again, I believe both clubs should be able to win the league without the new players. Time will tell ...

Comment

• Oriphus
              Digital Video Technician
              Digital Video Technician
              • Aug 2003

Yeah, i've been thinking that myself. Once we get up front sorted, the defence seems to give in. Conceding 3 goals to a team in the second half of a match is pretty much a disgrace for the champions of any league. Its always the football way, fix one aspect, the other goes nuts. We need to bring in a world class defender like Nesta or Puyol to patch it up a bit.

League table remains the same with Chelsea winning. Real Betis beating Racing Santander 2-1 today at Racing, my mate will be soo angry (he is from there and supports them) but im well chuffed.

I'll makea few comments on the United match after i watch it tonight

Comment

• Oriphus
                Digital Video Technician
                Digital Video Technician
                • Aug 2003

Well, I've watched it twice now. It was a good an entertaining match from a neutral perspective, but an anxious second half for a Unite fan. To be brutely honest, it shouldve been 7-0 atleast by half time. RvN missed two complete sitters that you would think would be impossible for him to miss. A header into an open net with no keeper from around 5 yards, though it came fast off the bar, and one that trickled wide. Very unlike him. Scholes hit the post as well. Also, Louis Saha Missed two complete sitters, one should have been a tap in that he missed, the other was similar to his second goal, all he had to do was hit the target. He didnt, i cant be angry bout that though, since both scored 2 goals each. The strikers did well today, it was a good attacking force.

However, the same cant be said about the defense. No team should concede 3 goals in the second half of a match they completely dominated first half, let alone Man Utd. Every goal scored came from the air and from set-plays. I know Duncan Ferguson is the maestro when it comes to heading a ball, but, please, the team shouldve been able to deal with it. That is why i am constantly saying that we need another central defender, or atleast Carlos Puyol to drop into right back and bring Gary Neville into the centre for some security.

Ah well, i suppose a win is a win. I see Arsenal's game brought up quite a bit fo confusion over the off-side rule. To be honest, i see nothing wrong with what Thiery Henry was doing, he came back onside before the ball was played to him, so i put it down to poor defending.

Comment

• Oriphus
                  Digital Video Technician
                  Digital Video Technician
                  • Aug 2003

Oh My GOD, what teh hell was that score line all about. Losing 2-3 at Home to feckin Middlesborough. What is the world coming to. 9 goals conceded in 3 games, bloody pathetic. And what the hell was Alex Ferguson doing playing Kleberson out on the far right. Huh???? He doesnt play there. Ronaldo shouldve been on playing on the far right. John O Shea had a poor game. I really really am so pissed off. 5 points behind Arsenal with no sign of correcting the defencive problems. Why the hell did Alex Ferguson not buy a solid defender like Nesta or Puyol in the transfer window. The whole United following was crying out for a defender to come to the club. It was so obvious. A blind man wouldve seen that we would need a defender, especially since we knew that Rio Ferdinand was going to be out for a long time. It made sense to buy one while we could.

I really cant see us holding on to the title now. All i can hope for is that Arsenal draw with Chelsea and both lose a game and United win the rest of our games. If we even draw or lose another game i feel its over, especially considering the form that Arsenal are in at the moment.

Im so angry, so no taunting me..........

Comment

• admin
                    Administrator
                    • Nov 2001

Our Boro-thonâ„¢ in January must have been good practice for Middlesbrough

I have mixed feelings about the 5 point lead, as that's exactly what we had last season as well
                    Last edited by admin; 12 Feb 2004, 02:04 PM.

Comment

• Oriphus
                      Digital Video Technician
                      Digital Video Technician
                      • Aug 2003

True, but we were on form last year, this year we are not.

Comment

• admin
                        Administrator
                        • Nov 2001

Reyes 2 - Chelsea 1

Comment

• hacker_on_fire
                          Digital Video Expert
                          Digital Video Expert
                          • Mar 2002

Reyes is great, he just needs time to settle in, adapt and abit of Wengers magic. And people say without Henry Arsenal will loose...well we prooved them wrong on many occasions..
                          MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

How 2 post questions correctly
                          Look here before posting questions

Comment

• Oriphus
                            Digital Video Technician
                            Digital Video Technician
                            • Aug 2003

lol - yeah good game. Man United 4-2 Man City. lol We beat them well with 10 men after Gary Neville decided to dive in the box and then jump up and head-but McManaman. Ah well...

Comment

• admin
                              Administrator
                              • Nov 2001

Away to Liverpool or Portsmouth next in the cup, and then probably United in the Semis or final (if they make it that far ). It's like a mini Premiership. Could we get a harder fixture?

Comment

• Oriphus
                                Digital Video Technician
                                Digital Video Technician
                                • Aug 2003

lol - It should be fun though. Your fixture is easy, we play Filham most likely, first team to beat us this season

Comment

Working...