X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Oriphus
    Digital Video Technician
    Digital Video Technician
    • Aug 2003

Probably the latter to be honest. I think expansion is the key with Glazer. No doubt selling more shirts and possibly gaining larger TV revenues in Asia as well as in the USA is his motive. PSV is a Chelsea club? Im not aware of that. Have they set up a deal like what we have with Antwerp and Lisbon?
    http://www.dvd-backup.tk

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

Chelsea PSV article here. Chelsea got them out of some financial trouble, so PSV are now their nursery club, much like how Arsenal and Man U have nursery clubs in Belgium. This way, Chelsea can use PSV to get EU passports for players (like Alex?), and since PSV are still a relatively large club, big name players might want to go there as well. Chelsea has the same relationship with many big clubs around the world, including this year's winners of the UEFA Cup CSKA Moscow, Corinthians and Benfica (news article here).

Forget the Ashley Cole scandal, this is where the real news is. Rumour is that millions are being moved around these clubs, and players have been exchanging hands, in an attempt to stop other teams buying players, and also to get passports for players Chelsea want (but doesn't want others to get). It's all very secretive and underhanded, and the next time your club doesn't get a player, Chelsea are probably behind it. This is probably how Roman did business in Russia as well.
      Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• Oriphus
        Digital Video Technician
        Digital Video Technician
        • Aug 2003

This is probably how Roman did business in Russia as well.
        Probably very likely. His Russian competitor is now in jail lol, wonder what would have been in store for Roman had he pursued any political interests in Russia because, although i have so much respect for someone who has started life with nothing and has himself created so much wealth. What i do wonder though, is in a Communist era, how can two men, Roman and his competitor who is in jail, end up with so much personal fortune?? Surely thats not part of Communism's practice?

Very interesting article on PSV. Never knew that it was a Phillips Electrical companies football team for factory workers in its early days. Thats pretty cool to learn.

Comment

• admin
          Administrator
          • Nov 2001

Roman and many like him made their fortunes shortly after the collapse of the Soviet Union. At that time, I think many state owned businesses (which were most businesses) like the lucrative oil and natural resources industry were sold off, usually closed door deals involving bribes and such. Some were given to the people who worked there, but because the businesses were badly managed and these people didn't have any salary, Roman and others bought their shares for far below market value (eg. 5 rubles for something worth 50000). The people selling the shares, having just come out of the communist era, didn't have any idea about shares and markets.

Abramovich is actually the current governor of a state in Russia, mainly because he backed Putin in his rise to power. However, Putin seems to have different ideas about how the country should be run (and who should have the money), and so he has started to go after people similar to Abramovich, but who supported his competitors before he rose to power. But there are signs now that Putin may go after Abramovich soon (eg. the 1 billion tax bill recently given to Abramovich's company), and I think one of the reasons Roman bought Chelsea is to give himself legitimacy in the UK, so that the UK won't dare to deport him to Russia if Putin gave out the order to arrest him. Roman is also probably moving money around so that they don't get frozen by the Russian government if something happens.

Comment

• Oriphus
            Digital Video Technician
            Digital Video Technician
            • Aug 2003

and I think one of the reasons Roman bought Chelsea is to give himself legitimacy in the UK, so that the UK won't dare to deport him to Russia if Putin gave out the order to arrest him.
            I think you've hit the nail on the head so to speak with that. I believe that was a real motive in him buying Chelsea, because now he owns a large UK company and can i believe apply for UK citizenship in the not too far way future. That will prevent any Russian interest in getting him deported to face any action from the Putin.

Moving back to mainstream football...i see that Arsene Wenger is very interested in Baptista from Sevillia. He has said he wants to move away from Sevillia, and although Real & Barca are interested (prob cuz he scored 50 goals in two seasons), he has hinted in the papers that he would like a move to the Premieship. Chelsea havent been mentioned in looking for his signature, Arsenal & Man Utd have both, but i think Arsenal are the more keen team for him...

Chris

Comment

• admin
              Administrator
              • Nov 2001

Baptista looks very interesting indeed - and for him to link up with Reyes again would make the homesick Spaniard happy, I suppose. To be honest, I'd rather him than Robinho or SWP, mainly because of the height issue, and I'm not sure Robinho can make it in the Premiership, and SWP isn't the striker that we need (isn't a striker at all, actually).

Don't know what's going on with the van Persie case. The Dutch police haven't even charged him yet, so as far as anyone is concerned, he is only a suspect who is (by force) assisting the police with their investigation. The good news is that if he is not charged, he gets €25 per day for his stay in jail, so he's not doing it for nothing

Comment

• lfcrule1972
                Liverpool 'til I die......
                • Nov 2003

25 euros a day ? lol Probably earns that in a second at Highbury.....

I see that Millwall (what a pleasant club) are about to appoint Steve Claridge as their new manager.... Millwall look for new Manager

Senderos to commit to Arsenal Thats got to be good news for the gunners.....
                "There will come a moment when you have the chance to do the right thing......"

"I Love those moments - I like to wave at them as they pass by...."

ImgBurn Support Forum

Stop !! Before you post read this !

cynthia is Queen of the smilies !

Comment

• Oriphus
                  Digital Video Technician
                  Digital Video Technician
                  • Aug 2003

Barcelona have said they arent gonna make a move for Thiery Henry this summer....had they planned too?

Do i now have a new team to support lol - the "New" Manchester United - aka FC United of Manchester:

Arsenal are apparently talking to Guti at the minute on a possible deal. Great player, though has the tendencies to go off the rails sometimes and play some exceptionally poor games.

Comment

• admin
                    Administrator
                    • Nov 2001

Don't really know what to think about the Guti link. I don't think we really need him to be honest, and the quoted 12m seems like a lot.

Fernando Torres to Arsenal? Sounds made up to me. If we sign one of Hleb, Torres, Robinho or Baptista, then I would be happy. So we'll probably end up signing Guti then.

Apparently van Persie is now in solitary confinement. If he is not charged, why does he have to suffer like this. Still, I hope he's not charged.

Comment

• lfcrule1972
                      • Nov 2003

Solitary confinement ?? Sounds severe but as far as I know nothing has been proved either way yet.....

Chelsea make 1st Summer signing

Man Utd sign Park (lol the original Man Utd that is......)

Souness keen to sign Figo

ImgBurn Support Forum

Comment

• mindless
                        • Jun 2005

What about Confederation Cup these days in Germany? What do you think who will come to final game?

Comment

• Oriphus
                          Digital Video Technician
                          Digital Video Technician
                          • Aug 2003

I havent really been watching the confederations cup, but maybe ill look into it mate.

Chris

Comment

• admin
                            Administrator
                            • Nov 2001

Australia was crap defensively in the Confederations cup. Brazil was terrible against Mexico (the "I've got the ball now and I don't want to lose it, I'm a big star so I'll shoot from 30 yards out" syndrome), and the German defense (apart from the game in which Lehmann was in goal, and a clean sheet was obtained) is shocking (a 4-3 win against Australia says it all). The Youth World Cup is more interesting, IMO.

Comment

• lfcrule1972
                              • Nov 2003

Yeah I can't get into the Confederations Cup either - too many randomn results for me....

I was pleased to note that Liverpool drew Total Network Solutions of Wales in the 1st qualifying round of the CL, the two Irish sides, one form NI and from Eire are drawn together as well. LFC have been lucky in that should they progress (please !!!!) they will meet with a Lithuanian or Faroe Island side in the second round of qualifiers....

ImgBurn Support Forum

Comment

• Oriphus
                                Digital Video Technician
                                Digital Video Technician
                                • Aug 2003

Yeah, i think its Glentoran from NI playing a team from the Republic. That should be a good match lol.

Im off to Jamaica soon guys, for 3 weeks, but hopefully ill get to access the internet the odd time. I'll post before i go cuz i know ill be sorely missed lol

Comment

Working...