X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alien Bay
    Always learning
    • Oct 2004

Quoting:
    "Trying not to be ignorant here, but exactly what version of Shrink is Setarip talking about?" That's me!
    Response:
    "
    As I understand, the version 3.2.0.16 referred to by UncassMS, is a special RESTRICTED version available to residents of Germany - restricted in that the decrypter was removed from it so that it abides by a new German law that apparently prohibits the backup of software and any digital media (and, I presume, makes it illegeal to provide a program that has that capability)."
    ~~~~~~~
    I was asking what version YOU were referring to????
    ========
    I cited UncasMS response...
    "perhaps you may not be interested, but i even received a version 3.2.01.6 via email from the author"
    because it just seemed so juvenile. 'Nah, nah, look whose e-mailing me.'
    So kick me off...it's how I feel

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    quote:Thank you, Alien Bay for questioning that obvious misquote by "Kedirekin". Perhaps "Kedirekin" has somehow confused me with some other poster.
    ~~~
    I'm just asking that we keep it above the belt, and intellectually honest. I'm very glad to hear you confirm publicly that was a below the belt misquote. Obviously, it was a statement made out of some other motivation on Kedirekin's part.
    APOD

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

To Alien Bay

"I was asking what version YOU were referring to????"

Sorry if I misunderstood you. As I had said nothing regarding any particular version of DVDShrink, you're absolutely correct in your estimation of the "response" by UncasMS.

"So kick me off...it's how I feel"

I rather doubt you run that risk for expressing yourself in an intelligent, non-antagonistic manner...

Comment

• Alien Bay
        Always learning
        • Oct 2004

Setarip, the shear volume of your posts indicates to me you're trying to help people. Please, keep it up.

Now what version of Shrink were you referring to?????????????????????
        APOD

Comment

• cynthia
          Super Moderatress
          • Jan 2004

Moved to OT.

Comment

• Alien Bay
            Always learning
            • Oct 2004

Dog. What's OT?
            APOD

Comment

• LT. Columbo
              Demigod of Digital Video
              • Nov 2004

off topic
              "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
              Columbo moments...
              "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
              "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
              (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• Alien Bay
                Always learning
                • Oct 2004

Have no idea what that means. Off Topic. The topic started out about a version of DVDshrink that was less than great..to Setarip.. I was asking for the version based on the original post.
                APOD

Comment

• Alien Bay
                  Always learning
                  • Oct 2004

I have an e-mail that may really kick me off about the effite corp of impudent snobs that inhabit this forum. I am constantly chided to read 17 hours of FAQ. I dang well appreciate those constructs, but I don't have 17 hours to get an answer to a simple question. If you've got the dang answer post the link...just don't remind to read the FAQ. I run a dam* large computer system for physicians and if I treated them like I'm treated here, well I'd get canned.....like I feel I'm about to be for being candid. Please see my FAQ about PACS and radiology services for PET/CT.
                  APOD

Comment

• blutach
                    Not a god of digital video
                    • Oct 2004

Alien Bay - why are you ranting?

Lots of people help lots of others here.

It is useful if people search the forums first for answers that may have already been given over and over and over again. The FAQ is an in-progress embodiment of much of this knowledge and AFAIK, you are the first person to criticise it. That is your right, of course.

You need not read every FAQ thread to get your answer. A simple search of the very good index, which is updated regularly, will surely help you and other folks in need of assistance.

As for the volume of posts, that is hardly an indication of willingness to help. At least, not IMHO.

As for being effite (sic) (meaning ineffectual) or impudent snobs (meaning we look down on others and show them no respect), I think you are very off target here. I do not see that happening very much at all. There are folks who don't get on, but that is the nature of a "community". A good example is setarip and I. But that doesn't mean that, speaking personally, I don't respect him or look down on him.

Regards
                    Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
                    [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• cynthia
                      Super Moderatress
                      • Jan 2004

That German version of the DVD Shrink - is more or less the same as the current one. The only difference is that you can't use it with DVDs that have a copy protection on them. Due to German laws. So it's not very handy if you want to backup your DVDs.

Comment

• Alien Bay
                        Always learning
                        • Oct 2004

"As for being effite (sic)..." *what the heck does that mean? *"(meaning ineffectual) or impudent snobs (meaning we look down on others and show them no respect), I think you are very off target here. I do not see that happening very much at all."
                        The very nature of some of the responses to newbies with such arcane acronyms speaks to me of an "effite corp." Given it is a heady forum. No doubt!!!
                        But there is a big mix here. Either give way to the inexperienced or warn them to keep away if you're not on your level.
                        I'm not going to banter about my other points..I believe what i said and I dont think I was "ranting".
                        Last edited by Alien Bay; 31 Mar 2005, 03:40 PM.
                        APOD

Comment

• Alien Bay
                          Always learning
                          • Oct 2004

As an aside, I should have quoted "an effite corp of impudent snobs". - Spiro Agnew....and, no, I don't like him either.
                          Last edited by Alien Bay; 31 Mar 2005, 03:52 PM.
                          APOD

Comment

• setarip
                            Retired
                            • Dec 2001

To Alien Bay

"Now what version of Shrink were you referring to?????????????????????"

If I now understand what you mean - In my initial post to this thread, when I spoke of the "latest version" of DVDShrink, I was referring to version 3.2.0.15. Is that what you were inquiring about?

"I have an e-mail that may really kick me off about the effite corp of impudent snobs that inhabit this forum."

If I can suggest - Take it from where it comes and laugh it off. As it is with most forums, there seems to develop an "us and them" mentality which, since it can't be overcome can best be addressed by "cutting the wheat from the chaff" and simply disregarding most, if not all, of the immature bile that rears its ugly head from time to time. There really is a wealth of information available at the DVDShrink sub-forum (and the Digital Digest Forum overall, of which the DVDShrink sub-forum is a part) so, if I may suggest, feel free to wait for a specific response to your question(s) if you'd rather not follow general references to "look it up in the FAQ". I, for one, typically try to provide specific detailed responses to those questions I believe I can intelligently address.

"...well I'd get canned.....like I feel I'm about to be for being candid."

First of all, being candid is not grounds for being banned. More importantly, as I've suggested in the past to others, you've got to develop a "thick skin" and not let the little things get to you...

"'...(sic)' 'what the heck does that mean?'"

I believe "blutach" was using the editorial annotation ("sic") to indicate that he/she had somehow discovered that the proper spelling for Mr. Agnew's favorite word is "effete".

(Did they get the green dye out of the river yet?)
                            Last edited by setarip; 31 Mar 2005, 04:22 PM.

Comment

• setarip
                              Retired
                              • Dec 2001

To cynthia

I believe my initial post creating this thread, rightfully belongs back where it was originally posted, in the DVDShrink sub-forum...

Comment

• blutach
                                Not a god of digital video
                                • Oct 2004

@setarip - re sic

In fact, it is not simply an editorial annotation, although it is used much in this fashion.

It is a proper word, derived from Latin, meaning essentially, a quote exactly as it stands, esp for a word that is rong (sic).

Bit like nefarious when you mean notorious.

Regards
                                Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
                                [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

Working...