• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jm1647
    An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
    • Apr 2005

ABC wants to disable Fast Forward on DVR

What the heck is gonna be next ???
    ABC wants people to have to watch commercials on shows they record with a DVR These people are going crazy

MediaPost Publications is an on-line publishing resource for all advertising media professionals - TV, cable, radio, print, interactive, agencies, buyers, and reps - providing news, articles and commentary.
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

I still use VHS!

And they ain't got nothing on my TV Tuner either
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

• BR7
      He is coming to your little town!
      • Aug 2005

If HBO wasn't allowed to place a code in their signal so people couldn't record their series on DVR to try prevent them from being exported to the Internet for others to download I doubt ABC will succeed

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• drfsupercenter
        NOT an online superstore
        • Oct 2005

I heard it was illegal to tape stuff off of HBO or something... I don't even get that channel however.
        CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
        Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• BR7
          He is coming to your little town!
          • Aug 2005

I am not sure about that drf.I have dish network and I have a dishdvr system I have to pay an extra $5 a month for copyright fees they said I am allowed to record any channel I like as long as I don't pirate it in any way shape or form

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• drfsupercenter
            NOT an online superstore
            • Oct 2005

Interesting... I have cable and I don't pay a thing to record my shows... my cable provider couldn't care less
            CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
            Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• uufta
              Digital Video Expert
              Digital Video Expert
              • Dec 2005

According to Comcast, anything they send out over the cable can be recorded, there are no restrictions..but at the start of sporting events/games or PPV they always give the disclaimer "cannot be disseminated without the express written consent of blah-blah-blah" so I imagine you cant make copys and sell them all over the hood (or shouldnt)

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                NOT an online superstore
                • Oct 2005

Mine doesn't even say that... I have Comcast's competitor

I never use PPV, that's what the library is for. Plus you need a cable box and my TV is cable ready so why pay for one?

So basically of the 80 something channels I get I can record whatever I want... and if anyone asks me if I am allowed to burn them on DVDs for friends, etc. I can just say "well they never said I couldn't"
                CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• jm1647
                  • Apr 2005

Originally Posted by drfsupercenter
                  I never use PPV, that's what the library is for. Plus you need a cable box and my TV is cable ready so why pay for one?
                  In my area to be able to get the "Soap Channel" for Mrs. Cause you need Comcast digital cable box and other channels and they send out some channels over 125, you need a cable box.(Cinemax, Showtime you need to get the cable box. An added feature for the digitalcable box is On Demand where you can watch the movies\shows from the premium channels any time you want when they are on, and plenty of free movies. The HBO On demand is always rerunning their series so in case you missed them you can watch them again any time you want. I do my stuff right to my standalone DVD Recorder that they can't control.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                    NOT an online superstore
                    • Oct 2005

Here you have to pay extra for Showtime and other movie channels.

If you go to any channel in the 70s, without a cable box, it's just static but you can hear it. With a cable box it says you have to call the ISP and pay for it.
                    Yay for loopholes.

Besides... why pay for a movie that is shown once when you can just check it out for free and have it for a week?
                    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                    Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• jm1647
                      • Apr 2005

Originally Posted by drfsupercenter
                      Here you have to pay extra for Showtime and other movie channels.

If you go to any channel in the 70s, without a cable box, it's just static but you can hear it. With a cable box it says you have to call the ISP and pay for it.
                      Yay for loopholes.

Besides... why pay for a movie that is shown once when you can just check it out for free and have it for a week?
                      Right now I pay for HBO for the series I watch. I have never done a PPV movie. I hadda get the digital box for Mrs. Cause and the bonus for me was the On Demand stuff which is free, some of which is the On Demand HBO reruns, Encore, TCM, and the free movies that they always have a bunch of.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                        Demigod of Digital Video
                        • Nov 2004

the one good thing that makes paying not so bad for hbo and the movie channels and even PPV is there is none of that god-forsaken devilish editing and commercials. ok to capture. can make a "decent" copy of something.
                        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
                        Columbo moments...
                        "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
                        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
                        (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                          NOT an online superstore
                          • Oct 2005

I just use TMPGEnc DVD Author and take the commercials out
                          CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                          Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• Kabuchan
                            Digital Video Enthusiast
                            Digital Video Enthusiast
                            • Apr 2006

I'm not worried, I don't watch ABC! LOL!

We have Directv, and we get something like 250+ channels. Never anything to watch. That's why I am either on the PC or reading a good book. I go through about 4 books a week.

That was Zen, this is Tao

My Gallery

Comment

• copyless
                              Digital Video Expert
                              Digital Video Expert
                              • Apr 2006

@BR7, Are you sure that is what your fee is for? I only ask because I have had dish network since they started, and have never heard of this fee. I have three PVR's and two DVR's. The DVR's have a $5.98 leasing fee, because DN no longer sells equipment such as that. The PVR's have no fee since they are owned by me.

Comment

Working...