Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MikeyBK
    Digital Video Maniac
    • Feb 2006

I've just went back to Netflix because BB was starting to become inconsistent after several months of decent service. I did like the 4 free in-store coupons, but they did start getting extremely slow in the turn-arounds. So I cancelled and re-opened my Netflix and I have been getting all the new releases from them this past month (not getting the new releases was 'the' major reason I cancelled with them before) and the turn-around time is always as usual, two days ( I mail in on a Monday, they recieve it on a Tuesday, they send out the next movie on that same Tuesday, and I recieve that movie on Wednesday. )

So I think that I will ride each service until they start screwing up, then cancel, re-open with the other, and continue that cycle. Hope they don't catch on!!!
    MBK

Antec 900 ATX Mid Tower
    Antec True Power Trio 650W PSU
    ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel Motherboard
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz CPU (Overclocking @ 2.9GHz)
    XFX GeForce 8600GT 256MB GDDR3 Video Card
    Patriot eXtreme Performance (2 x 1GB) DDR2 SDRAM
    Seagate Barracuda(Perpendicular Recording) 320GB SATA 3.0Gb

*SAMSUNG 18X LightScribe SATA SH-S183L DVD±R
    *Sony DRU-810A IDE DVD±R
    *BenQ LS DW1655 IDE DVD±R

Comment

• volfann
      Digital Video Enthusiast
      Digital Video Enthusiast
      • Jun 2006

That seems to be the best way to do it.. Longevity gets you nowhere with BB or NF
      sigpic

Rent This Space

Comment

• mahoney19
        • Apr 2005

I have tried what you suggested Mikey but I dont know if the blockbuster shipping center in las Vegas is especially horrible or what but 2 times I have tried them for 3 months at a crack they were slower to ship than Netflix. Thought about using the BlockBuster in store 2 at a time pass but the selection is awful.

Comment

• codajohn
          Digital Video Expert
          Digital Video Expert
          • Jul 2005

@jm1647-how nice of them to scr-w you openly. Honesty is the best policy, except with your customers?

I've had both BB and NF. I needed to stop BB because their concert music selection was horrible. NF's music selection is definitely better.
          The 4 free movies a month offered by BB is a great selling point.
          It's had to make a choice based on slow service. To me, they seem about the same.
          What to do? What to do?
          IMHO, try both (one at a time) and see which one you prefer. Try to remember your subscription start date so you can cancel your subscription without loosing any days and/or start the next month's subscription.
          Due to work and kids, I stopped both NF and BB. If I need a movie I'll drive to BB.
          CJ
          My DVD Collection
          Register To Join Digital Video Forums

Dell Inspiron 9100 Laptop, Windows XP Home SP 2 (build 2600), 2.80GH Pent 4, ST94811A 40GB HD, 2GB RAM, NEC DVD+RW ND-6100A 104D, ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9700, External 250GB Maxtor HD, External LG-5163D A105

IBM ThinkCenter 8189, XP Pro, 3.2GH Pentium 4, 120 GB HD, 1GB Ram, BENQ DW1650 BCIC, Nvidia GeForce FX 5200, Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")

The Golden Rules of Burning

Comment

• jm1647
            An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
            • Apr 2005

@codajohn - I'm retired, just me and the wife home, both kids married, and kicking back and enjoy watching new movies at home and also old releases I missed. So with the 3@time on both NF and BB I can juggle movies between their queues to help get them faster.

And with the 4 monthly free instore rentals at BB it pays for the online membership fee. I have a BB ~1 mile from the house.

Like you mentioned the service from both have been about the same. NF picked up acknowledging my returns sooner (I also went to my Post ofice and complained it was taking a long for NF to get some of them and mentioned that somebody in the PO might be watching them also ) I also posted I starting dropping my returns off at the main PO and NF received most the very next day.

Now when I return a movie in the mail to BB or NF I use one of them glue sticks to seal the envelopes and it seems returns are getting back a lot quicker. The glue on the flaps of both NF and BB envelopes are like the glue on the round envelope seal of NF. Almost like post it glue and ya can peel them back.

Comment

• AlienX69
              Interstellar Traveler
              • Feb 2005

Bondo works great too ...... hehe .....

Comment

• jm1647
                • Apr 2005

Originally Posted by AlienX69
                Bondo works great too ...... hehe .....
                I oughta buy a gallon and use it

Comment

• TastyNutz
                  • Aug 2006

I've been a Netflix subscriber for almost 3 months. I send most movies back the day after I receive them. So far my service hasn't been slowed. The distribution center is local, so turn around is fast. A movie returned Monday gets checked in Tuesday, and new movies arrive Wednesday. If I return each disk right away, I can get 6 movies a week.

It'll be interesting to see how long that lasts!
                  Dell Inspiron 5150, 3.06 Ghz, 1 Gb RAM, 40 Gb system HDD, 100 Gb external USB, WinXP Home SP2, NEC ND-6650A, Epson R-200.

Comment

• jm1647
                    • Apr 2005

Originally Posted by TastyNutz
                    I've been a Netflix subscriber for almost 3 months. I send most movies back the day after I receive them. So far my service hasn't been slowed. The distribution center is local, so turn around is fast. A movie returned Monday gets checked in Tuesday, and new movies arrive Wednesday. If I return each disk right away, I can get 6 movies a week.

It'll be interesting to see how long that lasts!
                    Didnt last too long for me. The most I ever received on the 3@time plan is 20 and haven't gotten 20 from NF in a long time. Mail from where I live to Philly is normally received overnight.
                    I have put returns to NF back in the mail the same day I have received them and some were not acknowledged as received by NF until 3 days after that. Who's to blame, NF or the USPS, only The Shadow knows BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Comment

• BR7
                      He is coming to your little town!
                      • Aug 2005

I have to agree with TastyNutz I have been with NF for a long time and I average 6-8 DVD's a week I think it all depends where you live

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                        Demigod of Digital Video
                        • Nov 2004

holy crap br7, how do you keep up watching all those?
                        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
                        Columbo moments...
                        "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
                        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
                        (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• BR7
                          • Aug 2005

I embarrassed to say but outside of work I am pretty much a homebody I am not much on going out, on occasion I catch a movie in a theater or I will go to some concerts.As you can tell from the boards I am not much of a conversationalist

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                            Demigod of Digital Video
                            • Nov 2004

no sweat howard hughes
                            "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
                            Columbo moments...
                            "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• BR7
                              • Aug 2005

lol If I get to that point I hope I would be smart enough to seek professional help

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                                Demigod of Digital Video
                                • Nov 2004

you won't find it here
                                Columbo moments...

Comment

Working...