Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrvideo
    • Apr 2007

DirecTV, on your decision to transition to Mpeg-4

Message to DirecTV, I read somewhere else that you have launched a separate satellite and will eventually be sending all your HDTV eventually in Mpeg-4. I would just like to say while, hey, maybe Mpeg-4 looks acceptable by HD standards on a 17" PC monitor but not so much on a 50" HDTV display. Even with no equipment or interference problems, noise and artifacts will be clearly noticeable so please reconsider.
    Last edited by mrvideo; 19 Apr 2007, 09:22 PM.
  • BR7
    He is coming to your little town!
    • Aug 2005

You have to keep in mind that they are only allowed a certain amount of bandwidth so maybe
    this is their best option

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• drfsupercenter
      NOT an online superstore
      • Oct 2005

I hate satellite anyway, my grandparents like it because they don't have local news on stuff like the morning shows... but that's exactly why I don't like it.

And even their broadcasts of things like NBC come in seconds late anyway. Better off with cable.
      CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
      Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
      My DVD Collection

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

A HD mpeg 4 should do well with 10MB/min stream

Comment

• BR7
          He is coming to your little town!
          • Aug 2005

Originally Posted by drfsupercenter
          I hate satellite anyway, my grandparents like it because they don't have local news on stuff like the morning shows... but that's exactly why I don't like it.

And even their broadcasts of things like NBC come in seconds late anyway. Better off with cable.
          I know both Direct TV & Dish Network offer local channels in most areas.Second with the new law both Dish & Direct TV can't offer distant locals anymore.So if you in an area that Dish and Direct Tv hasn't set up shop for your locals then your SOL especially if you cant even get your locals with a rooftop antenna (there are no exceptions)

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• Budreaux
            • Jan 2006

Originally Posted by BR7
            So if you in an area that Dish and Direct Tv hasn't set up shop for your locals then your SOL especially if you cant even get your locals with a rooftop antenna (there are no exceptions)
            Well, that's not totally true, but this isn;t a forum for that type of discussion.
            You also need to remember one thing about he Satelite companies..both are fighting a constant battle against signal theft, a.k.a. pirates.
            Many changes that are introduced are an effort to thwart those attempts.
            DTV has been much more successful in cobatting the pirates, but Dish has had very little effect. Dish has had warnings as to actions thgat will be taken if they do not make better attempts at thwarting signal theft..... but again, their Smart Cards architecture have been studied very closely and emulating the card has become common.
            Both have terrible customer service, but not nearly as bad as the cable companies..I went to satelite because of the customer service from cable... with satelite, I don;t need the customer service..

Comment

• drfsupercenter
              NOT an online superstore
              • Oct 2005

I know both Direct TV & Dish Network offer local channels in most areas.Second with the new law both Dish & Direct TV can't offer distant locals anymore.So if you in an area that Dish and Direct Tv hasn't set up shop for your locals then your SOL especially if you cant even get your locals with a rooftop antenna (there are no exceptions)
              They get ABC and NBC, but it's not local. That's what I mean.
              CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
              Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• Budreaux
                • Jan 2006

Originally Posted by drfsupercenter
                They get ABC and NBC, but it's not local. That's what I mean.
                But locals are available through the sat. companies, you just have to pay extra for them, like an add-on package.

However, there are antenas you can place on your dish to get your locals...FREE.... many folks seem to have forgotten that their local channels are still broadcasted for free in your area....
                With the advent of cable tv and sat tv, folks forgot about the old rabbit ears... their not rabbit ears any longer, they have gotten pretty technical with local anteanas...

Comment

• katzdvd
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Feb 2006

However, there are antenas you can place on your dish to get your locals...FREE.... many folks seem to have forgotten that their local channels are still broadcasted for free in your area....
                  With the advent of cable tv and sat tv, folks forgot about the old rabbit ears... their not rabbit ears any longer, they have gotten pretty technical with local anteanas...
                  won't the analog signal be phased out shortly, when the digital comes on the scene? They are going to drop the analog broadcast.

At that point, they would need a dig. receiving antenna. (2008)

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                    NOT an online superstore
                    • Oct 2005

I have cable that has local channels... that does become a problem on my family room TV, however, because of what I call antenna interference. A weak signal from the air waves mixes with the slightly faster cable signal and makes a ghost image on the screen. The cable guys had no idea how to fix it either
                    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                    Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• doctorhardware
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • Dec 2006

@drf
                      No that is not the problem it sounds like you have a cable coax problem. What you need to do is to have the cable company come out and take measurments on the cable. Look at the bit error rate and the signal lost. Been there done that and finally found a tech that actually knew what they were doing, and how to take the proper measurements.
                      Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                        NOT an online superstore
                        • Oct 2005

Well you have to pay to have the cable people come out.

I never watch local channels, except if there's some breaking news, so it's not that big of a deal.
                        CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                        Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• olyteddy
                          • Nov 2006

Actually, what you have is 'ingress'. That's the local over the air leaking into the cable. The usual fix is to tighten or replace fittings. There are usually at least half a dozen, and if one or more are loose or poorly installed the coax's shield can't shield the cable signal and bingo, ghosts.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                            NOT an online superstore
                            • Oct 2005

Would it be easier to replace the coax altogether?
                            CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                            Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• doctorhardware
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              • Dec 2006

I have comcast here and they don't charge anything to come out and check out any problems you may have.
                              Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

Working...