Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ashy
    • Nov 2003

Try the Configuration above.
    What drives do you have attached to the PC?

Comment

• auschick
      • Dec 2003

absolutely nothing externally apart from a floppy drive via USB occasionally! does that nero download need the whole program to run? Because I dont have it anymore!

Comment

• ashy
        • Nov 2003

It would help if you download 'Nero info tool' then run the program and click the 'Configuration tab' then copy and report the results here.

Last edited by ashy; 28 Dec 2003, 09:31 AM.

Comment

• auschick
          • Dec 2003

Ok downloading right now. Ill be back in a minute to let you know what it says,

Comment

• auschick
            • Dec 2003

Primary IDE Channel:
            master is: my DVD+RW, dma off - auto run on

Secondary
            Master: IC25N020ATMR04-0 dma on

Comment

• auschick
              • Dec 2003

Need any more info?

Comment

• auschick
                • Dec 2003

Ashy! What do you think of this? Sounds like uninstalling the secondary might be the way to go?

After I upgraded my Sony Vaio PCG-FXA53 notebook computer to Windows
                XP Service Pack 1, I noticed that DVD's played very choppily and
                slowly. I opened the Device Manager and saw that the secondary IDE
                channel, which holds the Mat****a DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive, was only in PIO
                Mode, even though the device settings were still set at "DMA if
                available." Rebooting had no effect, nor did changing the Advanced
                settings to "PIO Only," rebooting, changing back to "DMA if
                available," and rebooting again, as one posting had suggested. The
                first channel (containing the hard disk) was using DMA, but the DVD
                was stubbornly stuck on PIO.

I visited the Sony support site and downloaded and successully
                installed (flashed) the R0121K5 BIOS update, at the suggestion of the
                Sony customer service tech (although I don't think he actually
                understood my problem or had a knowledgebase entry for it). After
                rebooting XP, the PIO problem was still there.

However, taking a tip from another support posting, I finally tried
                uninstalling the secondary IDE channel from within the Device Manager,
                and then doing a Scan for New Devices to re-add it. After I did this,
                without even a reboot, the secondary channel switched to DMA, and now
                DVD's and other high speed transfers work smoothly.

Because I removed/reinstalled the IDE channel so late in the process,
                I don't know whether the BIOS update was actually necessary, or
                whether I could have done the remove/readd right away and fixed the
                problem. But it didn't hurt, and I know (at least) that if you do
                both things, you will get your fast DVD back.

I am posting this for future Google searchers - good luck!

Comment

• ashy
                  • Nov 2003

I opened the Device Manager and saw that the secondary IDE channel, which holds the Mat****a DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive, was only in PIO Mode, even though the device settings were still set at "DMA if available." Rebooting had no effect
                  Don't you mean your DVDROM/RW is attached to the Primary IDE channel as stated in your previous post?

If your DVDROM/RW is on the primary IDE then the config is wrong it should be on the secondary IDE.

However it seems to be working OK now you have managed to get DMA on for the DVDROM/RW drive.

It should have automatically reset to DMA after uninstalling and then re-booting, but that's Windows for you.

Just watch out for that PIO mode, it sometimes creeps back when your not looking.

Comment

• auschick
                    • Dec 2003

I did the uninstall trick with the secondary IDE and its fixed my problem! Im very happy! Thanks so much for your help Ashy, I appreciate it very much.

Comment

• auschick
                      • Dec 2003

Woops I think I might have confused you before Ashy, that long post was a quote I found searching through Google about similar problems to my own, but with a Vaio! Sorry if that confused things for you.

Comment

Working...