Newbie: File verification fails and movie starts to stutter from about half way throu

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"their a bulk paq"

If you're referring to the brand name "Bulkpaq", there have been myriad negative comments regarding their (poor) quality...

Comment

• thedread
      • Jan 2004

hmmmm......
      I've just tested the movie on the hd after a full dvd decryption and it was fine so the problem must be with dvd shrink.
      Does just selecting the movie cause any problems and if i shrink the whole disc to fit on a 4.7gb and therefore use compression apart from the decline in quality will there be any reading problems with say stand alone dvd players???????

Comment

• ormonde
        Digital Video Explorer
        • Dec 2003

"Does just selecting the movie cause any problems and if i shrink the whole disc to fit on a 4.7gb"

I gather from your pervious post(s), that you movie is well under the 4.37 gig limit. (a quote from your 2nd post: “un compressed selected movie only and got 8 files approx 3.7gb”). If this is true, why would you need to shrink at all?

"therefore use compression apart from the decline in quality will there be any reading problems with say stand alone dvd players???????"

I don't think there have been specific issues that DVDShrink has ever been the culprit of "reading problems" with regards to standalone players. These issues are more related to the specific "burning" software used, and more importantly what quality media is used.

Comment

• windtrader
          Platinum Member
          Platinum Member
          • Feb 2002

I've just tested the movie on the hd after a full dvd decryption and it was fine so the problem must be with dvd shrink.
          Good. Now, we can eliminate the source disc as the problem.
          The decrypt step goes ok now. I have never heard or experienced a problem with Shrink that involves creating stutters.

The next thing to try is to go back to Shrink, specify the same source as the last full copy, select reauthor, then select the main title.

Play the just created files. If they play fine, then the problem is not Shrink.

At this point you have eliminated any problems with the source or the copying to hd. This leaves the problem in the process of backing up to DVD media, which is where these types of problems nearly always exist.

As before, you media may be crap, your drive may be going out. Try a completely different brand of media and see what happens.

Make sure you are using the latest version of DVD Shrink.

Comment

• thedread
            • Jan 2004

hmmm the movie on hd after shrink is ok now too must just have been a freak shrink prob.....????

Comment

• windtrader
              Platinum Member
              Platinum Member
              • Feb 2002

Glad it is working.
              You may be getting stutters from other parts of your system. For example, if the system has other processes running, it may cause the software dvd player to "hang" for a bit, creating a stutter type of situation.

Another thing to look at is possible problems during the actual DVD record process. If you are running a process that holds the CPU for a bit, it can cause a buffer underrun or other problems that mess up the recording.

anyway, glad it works now.

Comment

• pcapa
                • Jan 2004

Where can I find the mfg. code id's:

My disks says:

Pre-recorded Information:
                Manufacturer ID: CMC MAG. AF1

But I have no idea who this is.
                It came from a Memorex DVD-R 5 pack.

Comment

• windtrader
                  Platinum Member
                  Platinum Member
                  • Feb 2002

CMC is a major disc producer. Many brands sell these discs. Go here for all the details.

Comment

• pcapa
                    • Jan 2004

Thanks for your help. It's a bit strange though. My first Memorex box (purchased a few days back) had a MFG ID of RITEK - these were -RW discs. How do you know what you're buying when this information is not clearly labeled on the box itself. Is it hit or miss??

Comment

• ormonde
                      Digital Video Explorer
                      • Dec 2003

"- these were -RW discs. How do you know what you're buying when this information is not clearly labeled on the box itself. Is it hit or miss??"

There is a handy little utility called "DVD Identifier" which will tell you. Visit the link below:

Comment

• ormonde
                        Digital Video Explorer
                        • Dec 2003

Of course, this will only help you when you put a disk in your drive.

Comment

• windtrader
                          Platinum Member
                          Platinum Member
                          • Feb 2002

pcapa,

The safer and more reliable method of obtaining the same media is to order the OEM media from the same retailer, once you are happy.

For example, I buy many Ritek G04 discs from Rima. Good prices, reliable service and product quality.

Recently, I bought a pack of Ritek orange discs from PCClub, a new store for me, but still known media: Ritek G04.

Most of the OEM media is available from online store, although you can find some in brick and mortar; however, the bulk is branded.

Comment

• chrisfunk2000
                            • Dec 2004

Hi Guys!

Sorry to butt in on your thread but I really think it is your media, in fact I would put a lot of money on it, so you can stop wasting your time!

I have Nero 6 Pro and DVD Shrink 3.2.
                            Both pieces of softwrae are 100% reliable, I have been using them for ages and never had a single error, jitter or failed burn.

I always use DVD shrink to compress DVD9 (standard for 'real' DVD's you buy in the shops, or rent out etc) to fit onto a 4.7gb DVD-R. It doesn't matter how much you compress stuff (within reason). Take everything out apart from the movie and you will get a perfect copy, sqeeze it all in and things get a bit fuzzy but it does not cause errors, just a bit of 'blockyness'. I tend to turn the compression up for the extras, down for the main movie but that's just me. (you only watch the extras once really don't you?)

I have always used Maxell 1-4x DVD-R. They are expensive (£1.00 each) but will never let you down, ever!
                            Recently I decided to get some cheaper ones, I think they were from BigPockets.com or something like that. I got 100 of them and they worked out at about 20p each. They are 8x full white printable face discs, because I got a nice new printer that will print straight in discs, no more crappy labels!

I have burned about 5 movies and put them straight on my DVD shelf (without watching them as I had watched the original discs). After making a backup of a recent film I rented out I watched the copy which of course stuttered about 3/4 way through then locked up. I couldn't skip through or change chapters. This had never happened before so I checked the original which looked a bit scratched so I cheekily asked for a nother from the rental place. I deleted the old copied files and started again but the copied disc still stuttered at almost the same part of the film! When you watch the video file in DVD shrink itself it plays fine, this software is great and definately has no problems like this.

I went back and tried some of my other movies and wouldn't you know, they all have problems from about 3/4 way through.
                            Lucky I still have all the files on my hard disk. I wasted a bit of money on the discs but you only really learn the hard way!

Oh yeah, just a thought. Look closely on the writable side of you faulty discs, on one that said 'successful' but then stutters.
                            You may see a ring, lighter in colour than the rest of the burned surface. Mine were about 3/4 of the way towaqrds the outside. (they play from the middle out) If your discs stutter 1/2 way then I would bet the ring appears 1/2 way on the disc! The annoying thing is that these rings only seem to be revealed once you have burned the disc, so there is no way of checking the disc before you try!!!!!!!!!

Hope this helps, even if just to know other people have the same problem and your not just going mad.

If I'm wrong please email chrisfunk2000@msn.com and you'll save me chucking about 75 perfectly good discs!

Comment

Working...