X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

Originally Posted by jpculver
    LT, not too sure about your solution, especially with DVDs.
    i am. it's up to you
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• johndoh453
      Gold Member
      Gold Member
      • May 2006

Originally Posted by LT. Columbo
      all the label does it make the disc go out of balance and makes it hard for the laser to read. (when problems occur). it doesn't harm the data. i use envelope labels.
      I've been using envelope labels as well. I've had no problems with them at all.

Comment

• toomanycats
        Digital Video Expert
        Digital Video Expert
        • Apr 2005

The glu in envelope labels will deteriorate. Hope it doesn't happen in you Dvd drive!! Just like the same labels on cassettes, (What are those?) that ate up so many tape decks.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
          Demigod of Digital Video
          • Nov 2004

no these are a special NASA grade kind. once they are stuck, they don't come off. not like those old vhs and casssette crap.
          "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
          Columbo moments...
          "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
          "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
          (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• toomanycats
            Digital Video Expert
            Digital Video Expert
            • Apr 2005

Oh.

Comment

• PurpleDemon
              Digital Video Expert
              Digital Video Expert
              • Mar 2006

Originally Posted by Chewy
              sharpie 1 $
              Look's like Chewy found MY universal labeler.
              Alcohol is a great remover too!!
              Cheers

Comment

• BlueMoon
                • May 2008

Hi there,

Yes i have tried alcohol for it...it works great!
                Last edited by blutach; 23 May 2008, 01:22 AM. Reason: spam sig removed

Comment

• gonwk
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Dec 2005

Hi folks,

This Q was near & dear to my heart when I first with cd's and dvd's ... and I have to agree with Anonymez and Taelon and go with "Sharpie" ... especially the newer ones that are made for CD/DVD marking ... deals with the scratching the surface or the ink eating thru the plastic and getting to your data.

Using a Sharpie marker you have your title on it ... does not bleed, does not throw your media off-balance and believe is Quicker & Cheaper.

BTW, I searched and searched and compared the Markers and Sharpie does A-OK. I wanted the TDK ... which has more stable ink ... but the felt on them stinks (Too Soft and Mushy ... so the writing is very difficult). So the new Sharpie wins hands down.

G!
                  Last edited by gonwk; 27 Sep 2008, 01:34 AM.

Comment

• Jayrock
                    • Sep 2008

DVD Read Errors caused by sticky labels

I have worked on this problem for a few months now and have found that some, if not all sticky labels cause the disc to warp slightly when applied.

I have proved this theory by "flattening" the disc with overnight weight. Subsequent to this solution I have cut/scored the labels with two scores at 90 degree angles The later solution allows the label to "shrink" and not warp the disc.

All read errors caused by disc warpage are corrected with this solution. Give it a try.http://forum.digital-digest.com/imag...lies/smile.gif

Comment

• bruno71
                      • Nov 2009

So...now what? It's been over a year since the last post on this "debate". And this topic is the whole reason I signed up for this forum. I just recently, for the first time in my life, have run into a lot of trouble burning a successful DVD...and I've been doing this for a while.

I video weddings as a side hobby/business. So a nice professional looking finished product is a must (sorry, no sharpies I've always used CD Stomper paper labels with never a problem. I just recenlty got some Memorex printable DVD-Rs (that's all that Sam's club had). I put a label on them and started having trouble. I should have known not to put a label on a printable DVD. So I got some regular Memorex 16x DVD-Rs. After much testing, I found the label to be the culprit. I burnt with Adobe Encore at 4x and used about 3.5G on the disc. I put a freshly burnt DVD in my set-top DVD player and it works beautifully. Take it out, put a label on it (properly aligned with the CD Stomper), and put it right back in the DVD player...and it starts skipping/freezing after about 15 minutes.

I plan on picking up some of the aforementioned Avery #8962 labels to see if they make a difference with these DVDs. I've also read that Taiyo Yuden is the best brand of recordable media and will probably order some to try with both kinds of label.

But now the question is...do I need to dive into the world of disc printing? Are there any drawbacks to using printable media & a disc printer? What is the best disc printer out there now (preferably under $100)?

In other words, what is the ultimate configuration that is reasonably priced to avoid any playback issues? Burner? Disc? Label? Ink? I hate telling a client "Sorry...I can't burn a decent DVD!"

Thanks for the help and all the great info so far.

Comment

• rosariorose9
                        Just trying to learn...
                        • Jan 2007

I love it when an old thread rises from the ashes like the phoenix...

Anyway, Bruno71, I have used for years the inkjet printable TY discs ( I prefer the +R because I choose to booktype them). They're a bit more expensive, but worth it.

You do not need a special disc printer unless you plan on printing a LOT of discs. Most current printers (I use an Epson R380) ship with the software and hardware which will allow you to print text and pictures on printable discs...

Comment

• Rajacharya
                          • Apr 2010

Raj

I had the same problems with over 15 DVDs I made at the end of 2003. When I tried to play them in 2010, I got a message DVD not found or some other problem.

The DVD reader/player was constantly hunting and finally quit. It does not sound normal. I placed the DVD on a flat surface and I saw that the DVD was distorted. As many have said before, the paper shrinks and attempts to lift up the edges of the DVD.

I removed the label by carefully pealing it off leaving no residue on the disk. I had to use water in some cases. Once the label was pealed off, the DVD returned to its flat aspect and now I have no problem with reading or playing it. The DVD reader/player does not hunt anymore and souds normal. Do not force the DVD to become flat.

Comment

Working...