Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bchansen
    • Jan 2006

Quick Question

Can you over work a burner? I had a Sony DW-D56A burner before and I was using it a lot. Then all of a sudden it quit reading DVD+-R discs. Luckily I have a full warranty on my laptop and Dell sent me a replacement drive. Now I'm not sure if it quit reading discs because it was burnt out or not so with my new one I don't want that to happen.

I'm trying to back up my whole DVD collection right now and I have close to 100 movies. Right now I am constantly putting another movie in to rip and burn so I was just wondering if I should give it a break every once and a while and for how long? Thanks.
  • photo_angel2004
    Queen of Digital Video
    Queen of Digital Video
    • Jan 2004

Hello,
    Giving the pc a break once in a while sure cant hurt. If you are burning all the time you may want to make sure it is not over heating.

Burner should not be going out after 100 dvd's. Are you using the Same blank DVD's as you were before the burner stopped reading the disc's?

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **

Comment

• Experi-Mentor
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Nov 2004

do keep in mind that most (if not all) laptops/notebooks lack proper air ventilation.
      by the old thumb rule, there should be at least 1 hour break between burns & long reads. perhaps pointing a fan on your laptop may help.
      also, to prolong the life of your burner, always burn at least half the max burning speed rating

Comment

Working...