• Show
Clear All
  • katzdvd
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Feb 2006

burner or media prob?

kind of wondering about the flash and the burner also
    Oh, I don't like where you R going here... This is my brand spankin' new quality BenQ 1655. I have updated to the latest firmware (in safe mode) & all went well. I believe it is identical to yours. **Correction - Not Identical, my mistake!**

watch out for qsuite, easier to screw up a burner,
    seen several hose their burns playing with those tweaks, I leave everything on default,
    Might B a good idea, I think I will set all that stuff back to default!

As far as other media, I don't have any other good stuff at this time. I have almost a full 100 spindle of HP (purple & white) but I understand that these are poor quality disks

HP Disks - (Disc ID: CMC MAG-E01-00) These would also "freeze" during playback sometimes...
    Last edited by katzdvd; 5 Jun 2006, 10:50 PM.

Comment

• Chewy
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2003

forgive my "stabs" in the dark,
      please take one of those HP disks and do the works with it and cdspeed

let's see a data disk graph, might show something
      my method or geno's
      post in that thread, geno might have some ideas

Comment

• geno888
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Dec 2005

Sorry if I missed it, but at what speed did you burn these media?

Check on the box: do these are made in India? In my personal experience made in India media have a lower quality than made in Taiwan ones.

The deeps in the reading curve are caused by a still not solved issue with newest firmwares and cd-dvd speed. These are present also in benq 1640, but only in firmwares beyond to BSOB; with BSLB these are not present. Maybe a next version of cd-dvd speed will solve this issue.

Comment

• katzdvd
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Feb 2006

Verbatim media results...

Sorry if I missed it, but at what speed did you burn these media
          They were burned at 8x. They are Made in Taiwan; a 50 spindle of 16x DVD+R media.

The first *25 burned fairly good; It seems like now I am getting into the "bottom" of the stack & they are going bad...

The deeps in the reading curve are caused by a still not solved issue with newest firmwares and cd-dvd speed.
          Thanks for the info. Makes sense.

I have come across another interesting thing; It may have been covered in the forums before - have you scanned for "Disk Quality" on the same disk more than once?

I have, & I get different results each time! I don't know what to make of that - any thoughts?

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

I have come across another interesting thing; It may have been covered in the forums before - have you scanned for "Disk Quality" on the same disk more than once?

I have, & I get different results each time! I don't know what to make of that - any thoughts?
            you will see this more with bad burns than good burns

another thing to watch out for, is a little dust or a fingerprint will scan terribly

As an example of consistency, I took 2 scans of a near perfect burn of TY media, one scan in my benq 1620, the other my then new nec 3550. With editing software I cut the 2 pif graphs and tiled one over the other. Almost a perfect match.
            Last edited by Chewy; 6 Jun 2006, 09:36 PM.

Comment

• geno888
              Digital Video Master
              Digital Video Master
              • Dec 2005

As said Chewy, this is related on media quality. Anyway the same media scanned two times will always give different results. Differences can be minimal, but it's impossible to have identical results on two different scans.

A single grain of dust or a fingerprint not present in the first scan can create a huge spike of errors.

Comment

• katzdvd
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Feb 2006

A single grain of dust or a fingerprint not present in the first scan can create a huge spike of errors.
                Hmmm...

If that is the case, I would guess that one would need to be "extra careful" when handling disks during this process. If a fingerprint of small spot of floating dust from the air give lots of errors, I guess you could consider that test a "false positive".

in other words, how can one be sure they are getting an accurate test result at all, as there are always small particles of dust in the air, inside the drive, present on the tray, etc.

Comment

• geno888
                  Digital Video Master
                  Digital Video Master
                  • Dec 2005

A fingerptint on a disc have the same effect of a curtain on a window.

If you scan a clean disc, then put a fingerprint on the same disc and scan it again, you'll obtain more errors, not because disc is ruined or damaged, but because it's dirty. When curtains are closed, less light can pass through the window. It's the same for the laser light of the drive.

DVD tracks are microscopic, and also a fingerprint can leave particles that can make the disc more difficult to read.

Comment

• katzdvd
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Feb 2006

I didn't realize it was that critical, but it does make sense, esp. since we're dealing w/ microscopic data tracks. I was also wondering about something else...

When a disc gets "warm" from being iside the pc or player, would you feel that it could physically expand enough to create a read problem?

It doesn't seem that it would take very much to throw the reading of the laser off if the disc were to physically change dimensions. I know we're talking about a miniscule change here, but I am "thinking out of the box", & thought I would bounce the idea off you guys!

Comment

• geno888
                      Digital Video Master
                      Digital Video Master
                      • Dec 2005

Theorically heat dilatation could be an issue. But I don't know how much it can influence disc readability.

I suppose that being writable, discs should be able to manage a some amount of heat without risk. Burning process generate some heat because laser light actually must be enough strong to chemically modify the disc dye.

Comment

• katzdvd
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • Feb 2006

Factory produced DVD Scandisc test result

Thought I would run a NERO DVD Speed Scandisc test on one of my "factory produced" DVDs, just to see what the cond. of it would be. It is about 6 yrs. old, & I store them in the original cases, take good care of them.

I thought I would get a higher score on a factory DVD. Still, good, but most of my backup burns look this good now, with my new BenQ1655!
                        Attached Files

Comment

• geno888
                          Digital Video Master
                          Digital Video Master
                          • Dec 2005

Is this a scan of a pressed DVD?

Comment

• katzdvd
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            • Feb 2006

Yes -pressed. Store bought about 6 yrs. ago. Been watched several times. I am in the process of backing up all my movies now that I got a good burner to use!

Trying to save them from any more damage from handling!

Comment

• geno888
                              Digital Video Master
                              Digital Video Master
                              • Dec 2005

Doing scans of pressed discs have not much sense. Scans are more significative on burned media

Comment

• katzdvd
                                Lord of Digital Video
                                Lord of Digital Video
                                • Feb 2006

I thought maybe that might be the case - can you tell me why?

Comment

Working...