Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jbtn9
    • Jan 2004

BEST Encoding and Authoring s/w

I have been in this for a little while and have been using TMPGENC to do both the encoding and authoring process for my home movies. Now my 30 day trial is up and I must buy something. I have been satisfied thus far but have read about some other programs that may be even better for about the same cost. What do you all use? What is the best encoder? What is the best authoring s/w?

Thanks,
  • ormonde
    Digital Video Explorer
    • Dec 2003

"What do you all use? What is the best encoder? What is the best authoring s/w?"

That really depends on the individual. You already have a solid program in "TMPGENc" (do you have DVD Author as well?). If you have been satisfied, you should stick with it (purchase the bundle package for a discount)–seeing is how you have probably gained a good deal of user experience with it already. There is always some degree of a learning curve with new applications that you have not discovered yet.

Comment

• jbtn9
      • Jan 2004

Thanks for the input. I agree that it will be much easier for me to just purchase TMPGENC because I have already used both the encoder and the author program. However, I want to make sure I am getting the best program for my dollar. It does not bother me to learn a new software package if it is better in the end. TMPGENC Author seems a little limited with its menu options. I have read some people say that Cinemaster is a lot better and maybe even DVDLab. Is TMPGENC the best encoder?

Comment

• ormonde
        Digital Video Explorer
        • Dec 2003

"Is TMPGENC the best encoder?"

This is really a subjective issue. Some of the programs you mention have similarities among them, while also having different features. You have to ask yourself what is the most important thing(s) that you want to accomplish with the program that you choose, and does TMPGENc provide you with those features already. If you want to explore, I would suggest that you experiment with the programs that you mentioned (I'm not sure which ones offer free trial periods). Quality wise, I don't think that you will notice that much of a difference in the final output among the encoders you have mentioned previously, unless you really critique them very carefully then you might notice some differences in quality. Again, it's subjective as far as which one is the best.

Comment

• megamachine
          Video Fiddler
          • Mar 2003

I agree, TMPGEnc Plus and TMPGEnc DVD Author are great programs, and they are not expensive. You can do a lot with them, though the menu options in DVD Author are somewhat limited. So, if you plan on building more complex menus on your DVD, I would recommend trying DVDLab instead of DVD Author.

Comment

Working...