Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aragon127
    • Feb 2004

Good disks, bad playback

Ok, this is an odd error I'm having using burnt DVD-R's. I have a rip in pure video mode (video_ts.ifo, files etc.). I burnt via Nero to a Ridata disc. When I played the disc in my DVD player (Oritron 3116-plays about anything) it would play fine for a time, but at certain points it would freeze and skip ahead. When it does this I can hear the laser working like it's trying to read very loudly. I figured it was just a bad burn and re-burnt it, but the same thing happened. It skips and stutters at the same points in the movies. The points are both in the middle and the end and to a lesser to degree at the beginning. I figured then that it must be a bad rip, so I took a look at the video on my computer. No problems there. I then put the DVD that I burnt into my computer, watched it on there and it worked fine-no stutters at all! It's done this on about 5 different dvd's that I've burned recently. They are all fine on my computer but won't play on the oritron. I know the Oritron can read DVD-R's because I've played tons of them on there, both Ridata and some other DVDR's that I've used. It just seems that lately it has been having problems with any disk I burn. I ran the disks through a readability test using DVD X Rescue and they registers 10-20% soft errors and 0 hard errors, but plenty of disks I have that do play fine register higher than that. Is there something wrong with the DVD-R's, my DVD player or my burning process? Anyone have an idea on how to figure it all out? At $1 a DVD I hate making coasters.
  • BillA
    • Feb 2004

Hi aragon,

Do you hear any vibration or oscillation during play? I had similar problems with my Digitrex player. It turned out to be excessive play in the disc carriage tray allowing some discs to miss-read and eventually fail.

Cheers.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Jan 2004

You could look at the dye side and determine if there are any lighter colored (faded-looking) spots on the recording side (dye)batch of - R's you are burning.

These "spots" are similar in appearance to the un-aided eye as DVD "rot" (on store-bought dvd movie discs) appears to the "aided" eye. Such un-even "reject" dye discs, are a culprit, sometimes, in such dvd player behaviour, as also is the disc "wobble" (uneven weight, center out-of-round, layer seperation, etc.) mentioned in post by BillA.

Since, this is the first post for each of you, It seems more likely though, that the culprit is disc "wobble", which some computer dvd drives can "correct". somewhat, during playback, as BillA said.

If the "bad" burns only are of the last batch you bought, and previous burns of a different batch of same brand, still (now) play well, then "bad" media is seemingly the cause.

But, do you have any RW's which you could burn and try to play now? If so, then .......?

Do post and we will try to help you?
      Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

You might try running a DVD/CD cleaning disc on your standalone player. Maxell makes one that retails for about $10US...

Comment

Working...