• Feb 2009

Can't make Disk using DVD Flick

System info:

DVD Flick 1.3.0.5 built 732

Windows XP pro SP2

Pentium 4, 2.8 GHZ, 1 GHZ Ram

DVD RW drive – ASUS DRW-22B1S

Hard drive – 39 GB available

I don’t know a lot about computer mechanics so a lot of the terminology that I’ve read in other posts is meaningless to me. I’ve checked the FAQs and perused the posts and have not seen any that describe my particular problem.

Problem: I have four 5 minute videos that I want to put on 1 CD disk to play in a DVD/CD player. Previously I have used Nero 8 essentials to build a disk with those videos but it would only run if I program the player to play individual tracks which is a pain. I wanted something to make a disk that would play without programming the player and I found that DVD Flick appeared to have the solution so I downloaded it and tried using it to burn the CD. I have now tried to burn it w/DVD Flick 8 different times with no success.

My attempts: I go through the project creation process, select "CD 700 MB" and the program encodes the files to 698 MB. It takes 26 minutes to encode, etc and Imgburn comes up. The Imgburn appears to run and it shows the buffers at 100% and the green lines in the authoring box progress to 100 % over a period of 3 minutes. It then indicates “finalize” and the very bottom message line briefly flashes “device Not Ready” and after another couple minutes or so the drive opens and the burn screen shows that the process is complete with checks next to all the stages including finalize. I get no error messages at any stage of the process other than the small brief flash of “device Not Ready” at the bottom of the page.

When I check the disk, it is clean with nothing written to it.

I’ve tried this with verify on and off.

I’ve also used both Nero and AVS4YOU to burn the files created by DVD Flick to disk, verified that the files were on the disk and tried using it in 2 different players. Both players indicate that it is “not a playable disk”.

I have also unchecked the “BURN DISK” box and created a DVD Flick ISO file. I copied the ISO file to disk using Nero and get the same “not a playable disk” message when I tried to play it.

Using Verbatim 700 MB CD-Rs.

Any thoughts on what I’m doing wrong or what the problem is would be appreciated.

Rog
  • MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

What's the input format? Can your stand-alone play divx or is it DVD/VCD only?

Comment

• captf71
      Rog
      • Feb 2009

Mr. Milesahead,

I had to find the manuals to check.

Panasonic DVD-S25: Will NOT play DIVX discs

Pioneer DVR-640H-S: WILL play DIVX disks

The original video files are .mpeg

Thank You
      Rog

Comment

• MilesAhead
        Eclectician
        • Nov 2006

If you need to burn to CD you'll get more bang per buck if you convert to divx. You can try AviDemux or AutoGK. Both are free. I'm not a stickler for super quality so I use both in 1-pass mode but they both have 2-pass modes if you want high quality output.

Both are very easy to use.

I would also suggest you get VLC media player to test your output. Chances are if the iso is good you can just use Sent To to send it to VLC player and it should play it. It also plays VIDEO_TS folders. Another freebie.

Google or videohelp.com should find all the download sites.

Comment

• captf71
          Rog
          • Feb 2009

Mr. Milesahead,

Thank you Sir for the information. I have VLC and it will play the disks I copied directly but both my players indicated that they could not play the disks. I'm actually trying to copy these videos (1936 Chevrolet manufacturing) for a friend to watch on his TV.

Do you have any idea why DVD Flick does not copy anything to disk even though it gives no errors?

Thanks again,
          Rog
          Last edited by captf71; 21 Feb 2009, 07:22 AM.

Comment

• MilesAhead
            Eclectician
            • Nov 2006

It might be a good idea to post screen shots of the MediaInfo information for the source files. There are people on this board with much more video experience than I have. If they see the specs something might jump out at them.

Comment

• captf71
              Rog
              • Feb 2009

Mr Milesahead,

Thank you Sir

Rog

Comment

• gonwk
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Dec 2005

Hi folks,

I am NOT sure if ImgBurn can burn VIDEO to a CD!?!? Audio yes ... but Video I am not sure.

So, that might be the reason for DVD Flick choking at the ImgBurn stage.

@ CaptF ... why not just make the Video in DVD Flick and Stop at that ... then open the ImgBurn (stand-alone) and see if it allows you to burn the Video Data to a CD!!!

Also, you can try burning your .ISO image using NERO ... that might allow you to do "Video image" on a CD!

G!

Comment

• captf71
                  Rog
                  • Feb 2009

Mr. G,

Thanks for the info Sir. I copied the ISO file with Nero (see my post) and was able to watch the movie on the computer but both my players gave me the “not a playable disk” error.

I'll try a DVD and see if that will work.

I appreciate your help!

Rog

Comment

• Chewy
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2003

Are we talking about the master hands collection?

Classic capitalist realist drama showing the manufacture of Chevrolets from foundry to finished vehicles. Though ostensibly a tribute to the master hands...
                    Attached Files

Comment

• captf71
                      Rog
                      • Feb 2009

Mr. Chewy,

It is Master Hands.

Rog

Comment

• Chewy
                        Super Moderator
                        • Nov 2003

The avi's seem to be a good starting point, their downloads are slow

mediainfo would show what file format you have now

It's going to be a short dvd

Comment

• PurpleDemon
                          Digital Video Expert
                          Digital Video Expert
                          • Mar 2006

Hi Rog,

Nice choice on a project. I download all 4 parts in the mp4 format. My Dad love's this kind of stuff.

I encoded 700 mb for CD and I also encoded for DVD. Turn out to be about 1.5GB.

When I burned a CD with Imgburn it did seem to choke on verify.

Maybe that is why I always have used CD for audio and DVD for Video.

It did burn for both. The picture quality seemed way better on DVD, so if you can go that way and re-encode that would be an option.

I am trying to figure out why your burn isn't taking, or if you are just seeing Imgburn creating your image for burning without touching your disk.

Are your disks closed, or are they still usable?

Can you post your log that is titled dvdflick that in the folder dvdflick created for this project. Just upload as an attachment.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• captf71
                            Rog
                            • Feb 2009

Mr. Burrell,

Thanks for the great info. I spent a lot of time last night searching the web trying to figure out what a media file log was with no success and you answered it in one sentence. I've now attached the file after running the project again. It appeared to go through the whole process fine but the disk is untouched.

I even copied some files to the disk afterwards to see if it was clean and they copied and it read the files fine.

My next attempt will be try it on DVD but it frustrates me that I can't figure out the CD thing.

I really appreciate you assistance Sir. Thank you.
                            Rog
                            Attached Files

Comment

• PurpleDemon
                              Digital Video Expert
                              Digital Video Expert
                              • Mar 2006

Hi Rog,

I'll need to wait until a forum moderator approves your log so we can read it.

Until then, Do you have Imgburn installed separtely on your PC?

If not, I would recommend it. It is also free.

Comment

Working...