X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

User rating for VirtualDub

Please rate this tool (out of 5), and post any comments under this thread.
    5 out of 5
    0%
    4 out of 5
    0%
    3 out of 5
    0%
    2 out of 5
    0%
    1 out of 5
    0%
    0 out of 5
    0%
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • johnbmx4christ
    • Nov 2001

i noticed that as of this post..there are more 4 out of 5 than 5 out of 5..maybe cause most of you rip..but as a video maker..vdub has been essential in assisting the other programs.
    john boy

http://brightideasdigitalmedia.com

Comment

• mrbingley
      • Feb 2002

I use VirualDub for my capturing needs from my TV card, works great, as long as I remember to turn off the TV tuner first or all hell breaks loose with my PC.
      Chris.

Comment

• yiokarinis
        • Apr 2002

The best editing program

This is the best video editing program I've tried.
        I have used many programs for converting to DivX and Xvid DVD's and this is the best program to use...
        Lets all say a very big thank you to Avery Lee

Comment

• LaFouine
          Platinum Member
          Platinum Member
          • Dec 2001

I completely agree with Yiokarinis.
          I coudn't imagine my editing's life without it !
          Rip In Peace
          LaFouine

Comment

• Kevin AMD
            Gold Member
            Gold Member
            • Dec 2002

I miss a few options like changing the framerate for example.
            Last edited by Kevin AMD; 2 Jun 2003, 02:09 AM.
            Let's all try to help each other

Comment

• cd090580
              • Jul 2003

It's simply the best software for video. I did all my captures with this great tool.

Comment

• FlipNautix
                • Sep 2003

VirtualDub may not used for everything, but as many people have said, it is one of the most commonly used programs for video editing, splitting, merging, and many others. For subtitling for example, even though you make the subtitles using a program such as SubStation Alpha, you will probably use VirtualDub to merge it permanently onto the video file. This importance goes the same for audio/video merging.. (heh, although I don't use VirtualDub for audio/video syncing since vdub only takes *.wav, *.mp3 is so much better and more efficient to use.

Comment

• Fook Yu
                  Shoe-shinner
                  • Jan 2004

Excellent programm, i still like it better the VDMOD, but you need them both
                  -------------------------
                  Not active user anymore

Comment

• DrinkOrDie
                    It Was The Dog, I Swear!
                    • Nov 2003

I agree with 'Fook Yu' except for one thing.

When I fully mastered the use of VdubMOD I found plain 'ol vdub rather ruduntant.

VdubMOD is fantastic. tmpgenc (most versions) is a great program as well. Both programs are a must-have for video buffs!

If vdubMOD would just let me do some few things that tmpegnc does so well, I'd be set with only one program
                    My toy:

Custom Build PC Born on 03-08-08AMD Athlon64 X2 6400+ (3.21Ghz) (Black Edition) on overclock ready Asus M2R32-MVP Crossfire AMD chipset Mobo, 8-Channel HD Audio, Windows XP MCE, 2GB 800Mhz DDR2, 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, 500GB SATA-II HardDisks X 4 in RAID 4 mode,(1.5 TB storage capacity + 500GB eSata external) Sony MultiRec DVD-RW, PCI-HDTV Tuner, SOYO Topaz S 24" Wide LCD 1920X1200

Comment

• reboot
                      Digital Video Expert
                      Digital Video Expert
                      • Apr 2004

I use vdub (including mod-mp3-mpeg versions) at least 10 times a day, often more.

Kevin AMD, vdub DOES do framerate conversion.

DrinkOrDie, please don't put tmpgenc in the same league with vdub. Vdub does it's job VERY well, tmpgenc barely get's a passing grade. Just because it's popular, doesn't mean it's any good. If you're satisfied with it's blockiness and slowness, that's fine. I am not. I do however, really like the built in tools for mux/demux/cut etc, but never use it to encode anything.
                      My DVDLab (and other) Guides

Comment

• DrinkOrDie
                        It Was The Dog, I Swear!
                        • Nov 2003

Really? That's interesting. I have had no such problems with tmpgenc. Also, I was not aware that vdub can encode mpeg. Until now, I have heard of no version that can. My vdub only decodes mpeg for outputting to other formats.

Also, perhaps you haven't learned how to use tmpgenc properly.
                        It performs best if you use uncompressed audio. I save the wav using vdub and use the wav for input to tmpegnc. That shaves hours off encoding time since vdub can decompress the audio in a fraction of the time that tmpegnc does during encoding.

When using tmpegnc, the default settings for encoding mpeg files from AVI's simply won't do. Changing a few key settings produces crisp, bright mpegs. Sometimes my output mpeg's actually look better than the original AVI input file.

There is a guide for tmpegnc online that explains the settings and how to use them. After that, you just experiment a little to find the settings that produce the best output. The best settings will depend on your source file.

BTW, I do use a VdubMOD version. Can you tell me where to get your (mp3, mpeg) version? If it's as good as you say, I'd like to give it a try.
                        Last edited by DrinkOrDie; 7 Jun 2004, 06:40 AM.
                        My toy:

Custom Build PC Born on 03-08-08AMD Athlon64 X2 6400+ (3.21Ghz) (Black Edition) on overclock ready Asus M2R32-MVP Crossfire AMD chipset Mobo, 8-Channel HD Audio, Windows XP MCE, 2GB 800Mhz DDR2, 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, 500GB SATA-II HardDisks X 4 in RAID 4 mode,(1.5 TB storage capacity + 500GB eSata external) Sony MultiRec DVD-RW, PCI-HDTV Tuner, SOYO Topaz S 24" Wide LCD 1920X1200

Comment

• ziadost
                          Super Moderator
                          • Mar 2004

absolutely amazing tool, but if only it could output mpeg-1 and 2...
                          "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• reboot
                            Digital Video Expert
                            Digital Video Expert
                            • Apr 2004

I know tmpgenc's default settings suck. Really. I don't use tmpgenc to encode audio at all. I separate in vdub (unless it's AC3) then remux during authoring. Not a noob
                            I never said vdub encoded mpegs, however it (vdub-mpeg) does decode nicely. http://sourceforge.net/projects/virtualdubmpg2/
                            I can get "crisp, bright" mpegs from tmpgenc as well, If I'm willing to wait 3-4 hours. I can get the same crisp, bright mpegs from Mainconcept in an hour. Yes, mainconcept's default settings also suck
                            My DVDLab (and other) Guides

Comment

• DrinkOrDie
                              It Was The Dog, I Swear!
                              • Nov 2003

Mainconcept? Less time? tell me more, please. As far as the link you provided goes, I found nothing useful (to me) there. I wasn't aware that we were even talking about mpeg 2. That's a whole different thing than what I was talking about.

The method I described about uncompressing the audio to a wav(using vdub) and using the source file for the video stream input is, well, pretty much the same as demux. (in result) I mean, I get the same results. I COULD demux but through experience I have yet to see demuxing as an advantage over using the whole AVI for the video input, and using the seperate (vdubmod outputted) wav as input into tmpegnc. I still need to encode the audio (using tmpegnc) from that AVI. simply remuxing will not work when I need to create a VCD compliant mpeg from an AVI audio source that doesn't comply with VCD standards.

My version of VdubMod has such a limited selection for encoding audio. So much so, that I usually only use it to extract a wav from the AVI, especially if it's VBR audio. But I still use the WHOLE AVI as the video source file. VdubMod demuxes just fine, but I still need to re-encode the audio in most cases. In those cases, tmpegnc handles the wav better than a compressed audio source.

Oh well, I guess we could go on forever about advantages and disadvantages. All I was saying is that my most useful tool right after VdubMod is Tmpegnc. Even you admit you still use it. I'm also saying if they came up with a Vdub version that made tmpegnc reduntant, I would ditch tmpgenc., but I haven't seen that happen yet. I still find tmpegnc a valued and necessary tool for completing my projects.

Oh, and BTW whoever it concerns, tmpegnc will encode mpeg-2, or SVCD mpegs. That capabibility is limited to the registered (pay for it) version. I'm not into SVCD, DVD encoding just yet, although I have done it. Not willing to pay for it at this point. I have LSX mpeg encoder for that, but I rarely use it.

If vdub (or a variant thereof) would put out decent MPEG-1 VCD at the very least, I would have my "ALL-IN-ONE" video solution.
                              Last edited by DrinkOrDie; 8 Jun 2004, 04:25 PM.
                              My toy:

Comment

Working...