X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Worf19
    • Jun 2002

Mpeg's Video Skip

Hi,
    A few of my Mpeg video's recently started acting abnormally. Not all, just a select few. The total play times became far less than they were and at certain points in the video would skip ahead to near the end of the clip, sometimes looking like it's fast-forwarding for a second or two. I know I had this problem before, but forgot how I fixed it. It's gotta be some kinda codec problem, although I tried having it skip between using the standard MPEG Video and Audio Decoders to the latest AC3 Filter and FFDShow video filters, yet it made no difference at all. Any idea what this problem is and how to fix it so these few video's play normally again?

Thanks
  • Worf19
    • Jun 2002

Annyone help??? :\

Comment

• LT. Columbo
      Demigod of Digital Video
      • Nov 2004

if your OS is xp, try a system restore to before this happened.
      "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
      Columbo moments...
      "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
      "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
      (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• Worf19
        • Jun 2002

I'd rather figure out what's causing it than screw with a restore. I'm more of a figure out the problem than the cheap, let me restore always person. Besides, I've installed and uninstalled a few games in the past 2 weeks. If I go back like 3 weeks or so, wouldn't that uninstall those games or screw with their operation after a restore? I really would like to figure this out if at all possible.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
          Demigod of Digital Video
          • Nov 2004

in that case, try and remember what you did the first time this happened....

you can always create a restore point NOW, and come back to it anytime....
          "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
          Columbo moments...
          "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• tigerman8u
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Aug 2003

"It's gotta be some kinda codec problem,"

try the excellent free player VLC (videolan). it uses it's own codec and plays most anything. this should eliminate the possibility of a codec problem/conflict

Comment

• Worf19
              • Jun 2002

Ok, I downloaded and tried the VLC Player and it worked. My video's play fine thru that, with the correct time and no skipping ahead or anything. So, this shows it is definitely a codec conflict. Therefore there must be some way to locate it and fix it. Isn't there any program that can kinda list all my audio and video codecs out, so people could analyze them and see what could be conflicting? Ya know, kinda like hyjackthis for codecs.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                Demigod of Digital Video
                • Nov 2004

i'd delete all codecs and start new with only the ones you need. someone else did that the other day and everything turned out great.
                Columbo moments...

Comment

• Worf19
                  • Jun 2002

How would you go about deleting codecs, since not many actually come with uninstall programs or even show in add/remove?

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                    Demigod of Digital Video
                    • Nov 2004

look in c:/ (if that's where you saved them) delete everything you see regarding codecs, folders etc.
                    Columbo moments...

Comment

• tigerman8u
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • Aug 2003

codec sniper by Tsunami will list all codecs on your pc and tell if they are ok or broken and will allow you to delete any codec/s. you can get it here

Comment

Working...