Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davesakiller
    • Jan 2008

Upconvert VHS to DVD?

Is there a recorder (VHS/DVD Combo or seperate) that will enhance or upconvert VHS to DVD. I know there are VHS DVD Recorder Combo Decks, but do any of them actually enhance/upconvert/upsample the signal coming from the VHS side?

If not, is there a VHS player that will enhance the video to go into a DVD player that will record at an upsampled rate?

I hope that made sense.

Thanks!
  • Brian Fisher
    Banned
    • Oct 2007

Hi Dave,
    I am not sure what you mean by upsampling, do you mean will the quality of the video get better once it gets to DVD?

From my understanding, there is little you can do to enhance the quality of VHS. There are some filters and softwares that may refine some of the video, but I have not heard of anyone who has truly been successful and happy with those programs.

I hope this answers your question.

Comment

• dr_ml422
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • May 2007

hi dave. there r no short cuts when it comes to transferring vhs 2 dvd. i have personal experience w/this, and i can tell you that there will be a slight, but very lil enhancement when you upconvert to dvd. the better your vhs the better the transfer.

i have a TOSHIBA D-RW2SU dvd recorder/player that i used to upconvert my vhs collection of about 60 videos, or so to dvd, and got very good results. remember this is real time we're talking here also. no way to get around that either. use good blank media also. there's a thread here on the recommended ones as far as quality. i use maxell dvd-r 16x, and sony dvd-r 16x, and they've been good to me.
      SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• rago88
        Digital Video Expert
        Digital Video Expert
        • Aug 2005

A little but of video sharprening'brightning is prob the best that you will be able to achieve.

garbage in/garbage out they claim.

Comment

• dr_ml422
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • May 2007

your right on the $$$ w/that rago. that's about it. a lil enhancement w/the sharpening/brightning. if dave decides 2 go forth he'd b fine. it's worth it, and he might even b able 2 sqeeze 2,or even 3 vhs on 1 dvd depending on size, as the recorder also gives you the options of xp 2 slp when transferring over.
          SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• ed klein
            Banned
            • Mar 2004

I have two methods I use when converting VHS to DVD, depending on what is on the VHS tapes. Personal video or actual VHS movies. These two methods either keep the quality as is or close to as is or actually upgrade the quality.

Tools used:
            standard VHS recorder
            Ilo DVDRHD04 DVD recorder with a 80gb hard drive, user friendly software for editing out commercials, a DVD-5 optical burner drive with DVD+R media, and will play DVD-5 or DVD-9.

If the VHS tapes have personal video then I connect output composite leads yellow, red, white from the VHS recorder to the DVD recorder input composite leads. Record either to the hard drive and edit as needed or if no editing is needed burn directly to a blank DVD-5 disk (4.7gb)

If you VHS tape is a commercial movie and you still want to keep the movie, I would purchase the movie on DVD-5 or DVD-9 and back-up the DVD copy you own. It is far better to start out as the source is a DVD then the source is a VHS tape.

Comment

Working...