Editing .avi problem...? Among other questions...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PSidbury
    • Jan 2008

Editing .avi problem...? Among other questions...

Couple questions about camera and software, so I decided to post here:

Background:

Years ago I used Sony Screenblast Movie Studio 3.0b and would download video from my Canon Powershot S50, which transferred as an .avi file.
    However, it was a MVI_1234.avi type format, which could NOT be edited in Screenblast (it only recognized the audio).

When I tried to find a solution to this problem back then, the popular answer was that Screenblast did not have a "CF reader" or "CF card reader" (whatever that means) and could not recognize the Canon MVI.avi files. And despite updating every codec and kitchen appliance the Sony site had to offer, no joy for editing MVI files in Screenblast 3.0b.

As a work-around, I would have to import the MVI_1234.avi file to Windows Movie Maker, which could recognize the video and audio (as could Windows Media Player), and then save as movie setting DV-AVI, which is now transfered to my computer's hard drive in "standard" 12345.avi format (no MVI prefix), and could be edited in Screenblast.

So... finally to my question(s) and trepidation:

I am planning to buy a Panasonic PV-GS500 miniDV camcorder, which I understand transfers to the computer as an .avi file. I also plan on buying Sony Vegas Movie Studio 8.

1) Will the Panasonic PV-GS500 miniDV transfer be easily managed by Vegas 8? Or will I have MVI problems as before...?

and,

2) How would I know by looking at the box/specifications if an editing program can recognize the MVI prefix versus "standard" .avi, if there is such a description as "standard"? (granted, this may be a Video For Dummies question concerning basic video formats, but if I had known something about it back then I would not have purchased either the Canon S50 or Screenblast...)

and,

3) Granted, Screenblast is obsolete, however does anyone know how to get Screenblast to recognize an MVI file?

Thanks for your patience in reading and responding to this post.

Paul
    <!-- / message --><!-- controls -->
  • paglamon
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Aug 2005

MiniDV tapes store video as DV-AVI. Transferring via firewire to PC will give you that exact DV-AVI file, which is pretty "standard". You should have no problem editing this in any NLE, Vegas 8 included.
    sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• Chewy
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2003

I'll take an hv20
      tripod and studio lights add in a quad core with a couple of gigs of ram

sony premium encoding software

Comment

• PSidbury
        • Jan 2008

Originally Posted by Chewy
        http://www.camcorderinfo.com/ratings.php

I'll take an hv20
        tripod and studio lights add in a quad core with a couple of gigs of ram

sony premium encoding software
        Canon HV20 looks good and has everything I would need, however I keep hearing that 3CCD optical sensor is a better video capture than the CMOS...?

Also, I have an Intel Pentium4, 3.00GHz, 2 GB RAM, Windows XP(SP2).

Will Sony Vegas 8 handle the capture from an HV20 with my system requirements...?

I appreciate the "for a few bucks more" suggestions, however I cannot have the tail wagging the dog on this camera purchase... meaning, I don't want to get a camcorder that will require me to get a new computer and $200+ software.

I need the best camera for my current computer and Sony Vegas 8.

Thanks !

Comment

Working...