Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • D_Sanada
    • Aug 2005

The dreaded Pink Screen!!! EEK!!!

Okay though, seriously, this is so frustrating and I don't understand what I could be doing wrong.

I have AviPreview on my pc and I like to (and most times rather prefer to) use it to view my .dat files since it loads and plays them so nice and swiftly, whereas if I use VirtualDub (love it to death) I end up waiting so long for it to load.

Well, everything was fine and dandy until just the other day (after several months of not using my p2p to download any videos) I started to download a couple of video's again and when I went to check them out using AviPreview, I got a nasty and rather unwelcomed surprise.

I got a pink screen (with a few white, black, or transparent diagonal stipes across the top) and clear as a bell sound.

I've tried removing all of my codecs and reinstalling them.

I've tried uninstalling each avipreview I have (I have 3 but only use one) but to no avail.

I even got rid of the Divx and XviD files and codecs and STILL I am stuck with this dreaded pink screen!! @_@

Now, what really gets me is that my VirtualDub will load and play the .dat files just as well as it ever has. (Don't get me wrong, its my fav player for .avi's, but for .dat's I SO prefer Avipreview.)

So now I'm sitting here, confused like crazy, and hoping someone here will be able to help me out.

So, um, any help here would be greatly, deeply appreciated. Thanks a ton here in advance for any help you guys give me! And here's hoping I'll be rid of my nasty little pink screen dilemma soon!
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

if your OS is xp the easiest thing to start with is a system restore.

this pink screen only affects the xvid's>? not the .dats on avipreview?
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• D_Sanada
      • Aug 2005

>if your OS is xp the easiest thing to start with is a system restore.
      Nope, actually Windows 98.

>this pink screen only affects the xvid's>? not the .dats on avipreview?
      Nuh-uh. The pink screen only shows up when I try to preview a .dat on avipreview.
      When I preview the same .dat file on VirtualDub, it plays as clearly for me as it ever has. Not a single problem (well, besides there not being any key frames and it taking SO god awful long to load).

You think I'll just end up having to do a system restore anyway on my computer just to get this little mess straightened out? It makes me think of knocking down an entire wall just because there's a single little smudge of ink on it.

Well, if nothing else this problem definately has my mind working.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

as a test, download and install media player classic(free) it can play just about everything. including dvd's on your pc, and dat files happily. it's what i use for all my files. see how they play.

when i spoke of a system restore, i didn't mean to erase and re-format the pc....
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• D_Sanada
          • Aug 2005

OOoohhh. I guess I was thinking of my quick restore CD since that's what it does. What does a system restore do?

And, as we speak...er... or rather as I'm typing this, I'm downloading the media player classic to try it out and see what happens. ~*crosses my fingers and hopes for the best*~

Comment

• tigerman8u
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Aug 2003

"What does a system restore do?"

you can restore windows to a previous date when everything was working properly

Comment

• LT. Columbo
              Demigod of Digital Video
              • Nov 2004

yes tig is right,

"I guess I was thinking of my quick restore CD since that's what it does"

NO! lol, don't use that. That is a RECOVERY disc. it is an image of your entire system. if you use that it will format everything.

start, all programs, accessories, system tools, system restore. it's very simple and self explanatory when you get in there, only takes a moment to do.
              Columbo moments...

Comment

• D_Sanada
                • Aug 2005

~*takes a deep breath*~ Okay, I guess I might as well give that a shot. Oh, and I tried the media player classic and STILL I'm plagued by that nasty pink screen!!! @__@ >__< GRR!!

edit - Um... I don't have that on my list. Lookie.

Though now I'm wondering, can codecs get crossed, or if I have one can it screw up another one? If that happens, is there anyway to find out what codecs got screwed up and how to fix it/them?
                Last edited by D_Sanada; 14 Aug 2005, 08:19 AM.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                  Demigod of Digital Video
                  • Nov 2004

you have win98, system restore isn't possible.

"Though now I'm wondering, can codecs get crossed, or if I have one can it screw up another one? If that happens, is there anyway to find out what codecs got screwed up and how to fix "

absolutely. too many codecs are famous for causing problems like you are having. i've been there too a long time ago. the best thing is delete EVERY codec you have. look at each file and it;s codec (use gspot for this) and install only what you need.
                  Columbo moments...

Comment

• D_Sanada
                    • Aug 2005

~*squeals happily and runs around in circles*~ ITS FIXED!!!! ITS FIXED!!! YEEEHAAAA!!!! YES!!!
                    Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!! ^__^ This bit of good news has just made my entire weekend!! WHOOOHOOO!!!!
                    Thank you SOO much for all of your help LT. Columbo!!! WHOOHOOO!!! ITS FIXED!!! YYYYEEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!
                    ~*is in SUCH a TOTALLY joyous mood now*~ ^___^

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                      Demigod of Digital Video
                      • Nov 2004

i get the impression you are happy now...

so what did you, get rid of some codec packs?
                      Columbo moments...

Comment

• D_Sanada
                        • Aug 2005

lol Oh I'm just a LIIIITTTLLLLEEE bit happy.
                        Well, I went through and just deleted the codecs I could easily find as well as the Divx from my pc, then went back, installed DivX and some other codec that slips my mind at the moment then, just because I felt I was out of options, tried to view one of the .dat files on Divx and OH MY GOD!! Lo and behold! IT WORKED!! the sound is a bit crackly, but with the big picture THAT clear with NO jerky sound or picture, lol I'm SO not about to complain one single bit! Usually my pc can't or won't handle 640x whatever honking big size video some of these avi's are. Either the sound is jerky, the picture is jerky, or both because its so ****!!! big.
                        But anywho, this is so cool!!! ^_^
                        (The only reason I never really used DivX in the past is because I utterly detest the skin and layout for it. I like something plain, simple, straight forward like what VirtualDub has. I'm an old fashioned girl, what can I say? *^_^*)

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                          Demigod of Digital Video
                          • Nov 2004

glad you got it workin
                          Columbo moments...

Comment

• D_Sanada
                            • Aug 2005

Me too. ^_^
                            Well, mucho, mondo thanks again so much for all of your help and time with this. I appreciate it so much!

Have fun, be well, and thanks again! Byyyyyyeee!!!!!!!

~*bookmarks this website just in case I need to come back here again*~

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                              Demigod of Digital Video
                              • Nov 2004

"Have fun, be well, and thanks again! Byyyyyyeee!!!!!!!"

yw

bye
                              Columbo moments...

Comment

Working...