X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bautabauta
    • Feb 2007

time slip when capturing DV possible?

Hello,

In many hardware HD or dvd-ram recorders, it´s possible to watch (and pause, rewind, etc) a video while it is recorded = time slip.

Is there a way to do time slip viewing while capturing miniDV on a pc?

I guess you wonder, why dont use my hardware recorder? Well I need the same function but highly portable for use at sport and training events.
  • src2206
    • Jan 2007

Did you check your camcorder's User Manual?
    Theoretically there should be no problem provided same resources are not used for both the functions- but if it is possible it will be clearly mentioned in your manual.

Comment

• anonymez
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2004

i assume you mean time shifting?

use something like winDV or DV Capture Live to start the capture, and try VLC or zoom player for playback
      "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• bautabauta
        • Feb 2007

Thankyou for you replies,
        yes, time shifting is what I want. winDV was an excellent little capture program. I tried combinations of the programs but they didn´t solve my problem. The player program can´t read the *.avi being captured. I guess the paradox is that the player program tries to read a file while the capture program is writing to it.
        Is there any player that can read/load the *.avi "dynamically", while it is being written to?

Comment

• anonymez
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2004

Is there any player that can read/load the *.avi "dynamically", while it is being written to?
          the two suggested above-- try VLC first. Zoom player should handle it as long as "play incomplete avi files" and "reload & resume playback if file size changes" are enabled via advanced options-->playback
          "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• bautabauta
            • Feb 2007

I must be doing something wrong... None of the players I´ve tried can open the file. VLC looks like it´s playing for a short while but without showing any video, Zoomplayer pro shows this error message:
            Unable to play [tyrytr.~07-02-12_09-03.00.avi]
            This may be due to a corrupt file, missing filters, filter conflicts, or hardware related issues.

I´m using winDV to capture, also tried ms moviemaker and DV capture live.
            //Janne

Comment

• olyteddy
              • Nov 2006

I have a Hauppauge PVR USB2 and tried VLC. It had no problem opening the MPEG stream I was recording. Perhaps you don't have enough CPU power to pull it off? try it with Task Manager open and see if that might be the case.

Comment

• bautabauta
                • Feb 2007

winDV uses 25-30% cpu. I´m using an external usb2 hd (but same result when recording to local hd). I capture from a canon mvx4i miniDV through a firewire cardbus interface. my computer is a dell inspiron laptop.

file info from Gspot:
                CONT_BASETYPE AVI(.AVI)
                CONT_SUBTYPE OpenDML (AVI v2.0),
                VIDEO_ASPECT_TYPE_PAL PAL
                VIDEO_BITRATE 29286
                VIDEO_CODEC_NAME DVC/DV Video
                VIDEO_CODEC_TYPE dvsd

Comment

• bautabauta
                  • Feb 2007

I had some progress with vlc alone:
                  File -> capture device, chose my device (ms DV camera), check stream/save box, settings, chose file, enter filename, codecs as default.
                  Open another vlc, open the file.

Comment

• olyteddy
                    • Nov 2006

Yeah, that's what I was talking about. VLC can open a file while it is still being written. I capture in MPEG because I have a hardware encoder. Glad you got it started.

Comment

Working...