Converting FLV to a format ready to author DVD?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alternate2007
    Fairly Informed Newb, still learning!
    • Apr 2008

Converting FLV to a format ready to author DVD?

Hello all,

I am clearly a newby to working with digital video. I am learning quite a bit through trial and error and using bits and pieces of advice in the many guides available online from very generous people who have more experience. One of my concerns is that many of the guides written--were written anywhere from a year or so ago, to 2001 or even before that (from what I am seeing). That, or no real coverage of flv to DVD conversion. this makes several software (version and title) references and techniques obsolete for current day digital video enthusiasts.

My intention is to take captured flv clips, convert them to a format that is ready to transfer to DVD for casual tv viewing. (I have not found a program that will take the clips from flv straight to DVD format, so you have to convert it to a "useable format" first.) I am not talking about clips with much (content) that is hugely important. It's just for home viewing. I am doing this "on a budget", meaning with "as much freeware as humanly possible", while not expecting retail-quality DVD. It's not a cheapskate issue, it's a budget issue.

I have the factory installed Nero 7 Home Essentials package, as well as Roxio 9 (and all that crap) and also had the Magix video editing software. There was always something that would make each of these programs ultimately ones that I would not--or for various reasons--could not use.

I have read many guides in many places and few address specific conversion of flv (which is admittedly an inferior format for DVD/TV, but convenient and common online). What I am mostly reading about is whether or not to go with Dvix, Xvid or MPEG-4 recoding--on the way to DVD "suitable" for television viewing.

These are the tools I am working with now:
    -AVI ReComp
    -VirtualDubMod
    -Pazera Free FLV to AVI Converter
    -KoyoteSoft Free FLV Converter
    -MediaJoin
    -AVI Tricks Classic
    -DVD Flick

All freeware; none are crippled/limited in function. As you can see, I sort of have an alternative program for each one that I am using, while I get used to what each can and cannot do. I like using Pazera, and it is a pretty user-friendly GUI.

Anyway, I was wondering if some experienced people could share how they are (or would) go about this same flv to DVD process, and what codec choices and settings are of the best practical quality in that recoding and encoding process.

Thank you for your time and patience!
  • dnluce
    dnluce
    • Jun 2009

media conversion

One of the most useful programs (free) I have found for converting audio and video media is SUPER, which is a graphic user interface (GUI) for a number of existing programs. It is available from Eright software.

I use Magix MEP 11, so I usually convert to mpg2. Given that FLV files, particularly from the internet, are of such poor quality, I don't think the level of reproduction is a concern.
    Last edited by dnluce; 26 Jun 2009, 02:13 AM.

Comment

• MilesAhead
      Eclectician
      • Nov 2006

You could try QuEnc. It wants an AviSynth script. This can be one line such as
      DirectShowSource("MyFile.flv")

Try one clip. In QuEnc Advanced settings set the profile for DVD compliant.
      It should spit out an .mpg file with navpacks ready to be authored. If you have erasable discs or your DVD player can play from USB I'd try that first instead of making a coaster.

Comment

• paglamon
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Aug 2005

I would suggest AVIDemux.
        sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• matthew67
          • Jul 2009

Try DVD Flick

You can use DVD Flick. With only this software, you can directly burn your FLV files to your DVD which is playable on your DVD player. There are many guides which show how to burn videos to DVD with DVD Flick. You can search on the internet.

Comment

Working...