Moving to __?___ city for TV / film production. Need advice!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shawn.W
    • Sep 2009

Moving to __?___ city for TV / film production. Need advice!

Hey everyone,

First let me say thanks for taking the time to help me out.

I recently graduated from Ithaca College with a degree in Cinema and Photography, and after completing some projects in my home town I'm now planning to head out to a larger market in hopes of finding work on a professional set / production.
    First let me give you an idea of the type of work I'm interested in doing. I would classify it as work that strives to hit on universal themes or deliver a message. Some of my favorite fiction films are: "the brothers bloom", "the fall", "the lord of the rings", "i heart huckabees", "the truman show", "one flew over the cuckoos nest".

And for documentaries: "no end in sight", "roger & me", "the fog of war"

Just wanted to give you guys an idea of the type of work I would prefer in case some cities are better known for one type of work over another. Of course I have no problem developing my skills by working on music videos or other projects with less of a lifetime, but ideally I would like to find a place where I could work on both.

Since LA and NYC are the obvious choices, I would love to hear someone elaborate on the difference in the film scenes of each, or how each is looking right now in terms of gaining a job or internship. or the difference in atmosphere, or pro / con for each.

aside from that any recommendations on other cities I could look into along with any useful information on their film / TV scene would be great. let me just say that so far I've had people recommend: Toronto, Boston, and even Wellington, NZ and Sydney, AU. International recommendations welcome.

PS. I'm also very interested in adventure or nature films. Work at national geographic or discovery would be a dream.

Thanks so much! look forward to seeing what you guys / gals have to say.

- Shawn
  • Shawn.W
    • Sep 2009

anybody? don't be afraid to just bring up places you've heard of or heard others talk about.

Comment

• dr_ml422
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • May 2007

Hi Shaun. Welcome. NYC's pretty big now w/movie sets and there's even a small studio here now. I'm pretty sure w/what you've acquired as of late you'll be able to land something. Be advised though it isn't cheap to live in NYC. So better have some funds allocated for your initial stay.
      SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

Working...