• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SpikeSpiegel
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Apr 2003

Dr. DivX

Have u already tried the beta version of this program?

Is it faster than other programs?
    what about quality?
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

i did a testrun on a dolby digital trailer some days ago and did not notice any better speed but i noticed a severe lack of sharpness and details using the standard routine of dr. divx.

moreover the automatic cropping was not working properly.

judge for yourself.

both encodings were done with 1000kbps and identical audio bitrate (128 cbr):

DR. DIVX with its blurry and wrongly cropped picture:

DVX with my standard settings:
    Last edited by UncasMS; 15 Oct 2003, 11:30 PM.

Comment

• SKD_Tech
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Jan 2003

Looks like Dr. DivX has some work to do on their program.

Comment

• SpikeSpiegel
        Gold Member
        Gold Member
        • Apr 2003

Understood, maybe this program increases the classic "smoother" effect of DivX (or the pre-processing filter is enable even if u uncheck it), anyway the difference between the 2 frames is too much (and not only because are really different...

p.s. now i'm downloading DVX 4the 1st time!
        is the 3.039 beta version stable?
        4DVD i usually use FlaskMpeg7.39 or DVD2AVI 1.86, but with the first i noticed a little loss of definition and with the 2nd i had some desync problems (Mux with Avi can't interleave audio/video and extracting the audio track to wav some seconds disappear...)
        Thanks 4your help!

Comment

• UncasMS
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2001

of course one must keep in mind that i did use dr. divx with standard settings.

later on i did look for optional settings since the result was simply disappointing.

but even with *better* settings dr. divx produced poor results on this interlaced trailer.

the question is: who would use a software like this?

those of us who have a little experience will hardly ever use it (a second time) - first timers might like it for its simplicity but i'm sure as soon as they see better results or even worse face problems that dr. divx cannot solve (maybe audio delay, or corpping problems or de-interlacing etc) they will try more reliable solutions!

Comment

• SpikeSpiegel
            Gold Member
            Gold Member
            • Apr 2003

True, I just hoped it to be a little faster, but there's even no way to use ALL advanced parameters (like deinterlace, the codec's one is not very good....and what about resize? maybe somebody forgot the real meaning of "sharp"

Comment

• Fluffbutt
              • May 2003

Ha this thing won't even RUN - keeps coming back with a error in prof.dll, even after many reinstalls - I'll stick with dvd decrypt and a second encoder proggie...
              |
              Meeeow!

Comment

Working...