X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ranc1d
    • Oct 2006

question about dvd-9 to dvd-5

Hi,

I used DVDshrink to convert a dvd-9 to dvd-5 to HD and subsequently used ImgBurn to copy the dvd. While the process was successful, the quality of the resulting dvd wasn't good.

I was advised to use DVD Rebuild as the quality may improve. I need to rip the original to HD first before I can use DVD Rebuild to encode.

My question is : if I'm using DVDShrink, should I rip it to dvd-5 first to HD? Doing that will make the quality poor, right?

If ripped to dvd-9 format, how will DVD Rebuild shrink it to dvd-5 format? By the way, I also need to make the backup region free as well as retain the menu for episode selection.

Thanks in advance !

• Abuilder
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    • Oct 2006

ranc1d
    Yes rip it to the hard disk first. if the quality is bad rip only the main movie and in the File menu in shrink choose the Deep Analysis option.
    They tried to Assimilate me and failed!

Comment

• ranc1d
      • Oct 2006

hi Abuilder,

thanks for the reply...

so i'll go ahead and rip it to dvd-5 using DVDShrink? as the original dvd contains several episodes of shows, will ripping only the main movie lose the ability to use menus to select the episodes?

sorry i'm really new to this...

Comment

• Abuilder
        Digital Video Enthusiast
        Digital Video Enthusiast
        • Oct 2006

ranc1d
        Yes you will lose the menu but gain quality because Shrink will not have to crunch the movie near as much.
        They tried to Assimilate me and failed!

Comment

• BR7
          He is coming to your little town!
          • Aug 2005

You should use DVD Rebuilder IMHO it's just as easy to use as DVD Shrink and you will get quality back ups .If you choose to use it I suggest using the HC Encoder that comes with it.I promise it wont take you long at all to get familiar with DVD Rebuilder. Here is a link to download DVD Rebuilder 0.96

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• techreactor
            Banned
            • Jul 2005

@ranc, you need to rip the whole dvd using ripit4me or DVD decrypter. There is nothing called ripiing to DVD5 (from DVD9). Thats either transcoding or re-authoring (DVD9->DVD5).

Now if the compression ratios shown in DVD Shrink and more than 80% then I would suggest going for shrink itself but if its lesser then DVD-RB would definitely help maintaining good quality.

Comment

• 9mmruger1
              • Oct 2005

@Abuilder

You can get the latest free version here at this link. .98 I think.

I am new at it and love it. I have the pro version though so have not used the free edition.

Cheers.

Comment

• techreactor
                Banned
                • Jul 2005

Originally Posted by 9mmruger1
                @Abuilder

You can get the latest free version here at this link. .98 I think.

I am new at it and love it. I have the pro version though so have not used the free edition.

Cheers.
                If you are willing to use other external tools then you can achieve what the PRO version provides for, except you cant have multiple instances of encoder running in the free version (which is a good feature, reduces encode time).

I find using VOBblanker more suitable before running it through DVD-RB.

Comment

Working...