Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stylempire
    • May 2003

Really Bad sync problem

I am hoping someone can help me with this issue.
    I am new to this area, and burnt my first VCD last night using Nero5 's method of decoding and buring (as seen on this site).

Now when I watch the vido on WMPlayer its sync is almost perfect, but once I burn it and watch on my DVD player, it goes to sh*t.
    as the movie goes on it gets worse and worse, then better, then back to worse. At parts its out more than 30seconds.. which really sucks.

Can anyone help me to know what is causing these problems.

Thanks for your time
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Don't use NERO to convert - ONLY to burn:

To create a VCD:

1) Load .AVI file into TMPGEnc
    2) Set to "System Video and Audio" (lower right side)
    3) Click on "Setting" radio button
    4) Click on "System" tab, change mode to "MPEG1-VideoCD" (from default of "MPEG1")
    5) Click on "Advanced" tab, change "Video arrange method" to "Center (Custom Size"), change dimensions to 352x288 or 352x240
    6) Change "Source aspect ratio" to either "4:3 525 line (NTSC 704x480)", "4:3 525 line (NTSC)", or "16:9 525 line (NTSC)" - If you're in the PAL world choose either of the two similar PAL settings instead
    7) Under the "Video" tab, change the dimensions to 352x288 or 352x240 (Note: "Video" tab mode of "MPEG1" is okay) - set "Motion Search Precision" to "Normal Quality". Change the "Aspect Ratio" to match, as closely as possible, the "Source Aspect Ratio" you set under the "Advanced" tab.
    8) Change "Rate Control Mode" to "Automatic VBR (CQ_VBR)" and "Bitrate" to "1,150"
    9) Under the "Audio" tab, set to 44,100 224Kbps
    10) Press "Start"

(Or, instead of the steps 1)-10) above, you could attempt to use TMPGEnc's VCD "wizard"/template)

Note that if your video runs longer than 70-80 minutes, you'll have to subsequently split your VCD-MPG file in two. This too can be easily and precisely accomplished using TMPGEnc. Under the "Files" dropdown menu, click on "MPEG Tools" and select the "Merge & Cut" tab. Once again, make sure to change the mode to "MPEG1-Video CD". Load your file and enter a new (.MPG) name in the "Output file" box. Then doubleclick on the ORIGINAL file's name in the window, which will bring you to the cutting area. Select your desired start and end points for the first half, click on "Okay" which will bring you back to the first window and generate (in a sequence of three automated steps) the first new file. To create the second new file, repeat the steps starting with "Then doubleclick on the ORIGINAL..." (be extra patient with the second half, as the program has to do more seeking to establish the beginning of the new file).

Use a burning program, such as NERO to burn your CD-R or R/W CD as a VCD (DON'T ask NERO to format the file as a VCD, since you've already accomplished this!)

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• stylempire
      • May 2003

Ok, thanks for this info btw.
      first off, I had an old version of TMPGEnc , but it did not have some of the features you told me to do.
      so i downloaded the newset version from tmpgenc.net
      (2.511)
      but when I try to open the file it says 'this .avi is not supported' , but the old version opened it fine, I jsut could'nt do any of the settings you ask me to do.

Any ideas why it is not opening?

It opens in every other encoder I have tried, bar this new version

Thanks again for your great help

Comment

• stylempire
        • May 2003

It opens for audio but not for video ...
        This is really weird. I would stick to the older version, but it does not have the 'settings' button..

Thanks Again

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

1) "It opens for audio but not for video" - What video codec was used to create file?

2) "but the old version opened it fine, I jsut could'nt do any of the settings you ask me to do." - I use a VERY old and a VERY new version. Which specific "settings" can't you find?

Comment

• stylempire
            • May 2003

Ok, I worked it out now... I am just using the old version now, as I am not sure what codec was used to record it, as a friend sent this file to me. I just though it was weird how everything but the new version of TMPGEnc would open it..

Ok, I was just following your directions too hard to have a closer look at the software myself. It has 'configure' buttons instead of 'settings' and a few other differences. But once looking closer I realised they are the same.

It is now in the process of encoding.

Thanks for all your help, and I will post back once I get it burnt and played, and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again
            Sempire

Comment

• stylempire
              • May 2003

Ok, that actually turned out worse lol.
              The sync problem is still there, but now there is 'jitters' every 10 or so seconds, where the sound cuts out and then comes back on.

This is a low quality AVI file, would this be maybe a casue for this? The thing is it works 100% an WMPlayer..

It is 14 fps , can this be the cause for this? and is there another method to fix it...

Thanks for your help

Comment

• stylempire
                • May 2003

I have been looking further into my file and the software, and this is my properties for this file:
                AUDIO

Bitrate : 56kbps
                Audio Format : MPEG Layer-3

VIDEO

Frame Rate - 12fps
                Data Rate - 44kbps

-------------------------------
                Should I make these the same with the settings. Like you say to have audio at 244kpbs Bitrate, should I put it to 64 (lowest)?
                same with the MPEG Layer, I only have option for 1 and 2, but the file is 3..

Same again for the Frames, I was setting it at 24, should I set it to 12?

I am new to this, but after looking more into it, it would make sense to follow the actual file, yeah?

and what if the encoder does not have the set value (eg. 56kbps Audio, lowest is 64)

I am too scared to try again, I have already wasted 12 discs over the past few days...I think I might wait until I can get a bit more guidance as to the set up..

Thanks in advance
                Sempire

Comment

• setarip
                  Retired
                  • Dec 2001

Based on the video and audio properties you've listed, I'd suggest you stop wasting your time (and CD-Rs) - it's a very low quality file, for which you'll never make a decent VCD conversion...

Comment

• U4r|a
                    • May 2003

I had the saem problem also and found the only way was to
                    rip the audio to 1 partition on my HDD the video to another then use tmpgenc to convert to vcd using the 2 difrent streams to mpeg on my last partition.

software used

VIRTUALDUB to extract the audio and Video to the difrent partitions
                    TMPGENC to convert poth streams to Mpeg to the last partition
                    VCDEASY to build the mpeg in to a vcd

this may be a difficult way to go about it but it works for me
                    as i have 3 HDD's and 2 partitions on each of them its easy for me but if u havnt and have no idea how to make partions on your hardrives u will need partition magic to partition your hardrives and will need to read the tutorials that come with the software

Comment

Working...