Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • attomixt
    • Nov 2003

What burning prog to use?

I just converted a dvd to 2 cd parts, they're both divx avi's 699mb cd 67some cd 2. I cannot get them to play on my dvd player though...I've been using nero express which i heard is not the best for it, and trying to convert it, it crashes. WHat do I need to do to get my AVI's into a playable dvd format? Is my DVD player just crappy?
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

To create a VCD:

1) Load .AVI file into TMPGEnc
    2) Set to "System Video and Audio" (lower right side)
    3) Click on "Setting" radio button
    4) Click on "System" tab, change mode to "MPEG1-VideoCD" (from default of "MPEG1")
    5) Click on "Advanced" tab, change "Video arrange method" to "Center (Custom Size"), change dimensions to 352x288 or 352x240
    6) Change "Source aspect ratio" to either "4:3 525 line (NTSC 704x480)", "4:3 525 line (NTSC)", or "16:9 525 line (NTSC)" - If you're in the PAL world choose either of the two similar PAL settings instead
    7) Under the "Video" tab, change the dimensions to 352x288 or 352x240 (Note: "Video" tab mode of "MPEG1" is okay) - set "Motion Search Precision" to "Normal Quality". Change the "Aspect Ratio" to match, as closely as possible, the "Source Aspect Ratio" you set under the "Advanced" tab.
    8) Change "Rate Control Mode" to "Automatic VBR (CQ_VBR)" and "Bitrate" to "1,150"
    9) Under the "Audio" tab, set to "MPEG-1 Layer II", 44,100 224Kbps
    10) Press "Start"

(Or, instead of the steps 1)-10) above, you could attempt to use TMPGEnc's VCD "wizard"/template)

Note that if your video runs longer than 70-80 minutes, you'll have to subsequently split your VCD-MPG file in two. This too can be easily and precisely accomplished using TMPGEnc. Under the "Files" dropdown menu, click on "MPEG Tools" and select the "Merge & Cut" tab. Once again, make sure to change the mode to "MPEG1-Video CD". Load your file and enter a new (.MPG) name in the "Output file" box. Then doubleclick on the ORIGINAL file's name in the window, which will bring you to the cutting area. Select your desired start and end points for the first half, click on "Okay" which will bring you back to the first window and generate (in a sequence of three automated steps) the first new file. To create the second new file, repeat the steps starting with "Then doubleclick on the ORIGINAL..." (be extra patient with the second half, as the program has to do more seeking to establish the beginning of the new file).

Use a burning program, such as NERO to burn your CD-R or R/W CD as a VCD (DON'T ask NERO to format the file as a VCD, since you've already accomplished this!)

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• attomixt
      • Nov 2003

Hey thanks a lot, I really appreciate the help. Do you have any idea why my avi's would stop working though? Both Parts worked Perfectly, and I was messing around trying to burn them to a cd and converting them, and now either one of them work, even the burned one crashes my windows media player. I tried it on my sisters laptop, and its plays, but there's no audio. I'm heading out to work now, but I'm trying a whole new movie to see what happens. I've been using Gordian Knot to rip them and encode them.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"Hey thanks a lot, I really appreciate the help."

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

• attomixt
          • Nov 2003

Still crashing, I'm pretty sure it's something with the audio, because it works if I don't add the audio file. I've added mp3 and tried ac3's on two different movies. Any ideas/experience?

Comment

• attomixt
            • Nov 2003

Any ideas? It works in virtual dub with sound and video, but not in anything else.

Comment

• pieroxy
              Platinum Member
              Platinum Member
              • Nov 2003

Can you try to give us some more info? What is crashing? MPlayer? TMPGEnc? VirtualDub? What's the error message? Can you load the AVI in GSpot and describe us what you see (even post a screenshot)?

With some infos on what is going on, we might be able to help
              "on the north side of 'wild-cat peak' the 'snow squaws' shake their winter blankets and bring forth a chill which rides the wind with goad and spur, hurling with an icy hand rime, and frost upon a dreamy land musing in the lap of Spring"

Comment

• aNU_MUNNY
                • Jan 2004

convertion from *ifo/*vob to mpeg

Hi,
                I am new to burning vcds. i have some dvds and want to convert them to vcds. when ilaunched tmpgencd it s shown that it supports only *avi files..But the files ihave is of *IFO, *VOB only..Please help me on how to gwet this backed up dvd files into vcd?

i bleive first we have to convert them somehow from *ifo/*vob to mpeg is'nt it?
                please point me to the right software to burn vcds from dvds.

Thyanks in advance

Comment

• pieroxy
                  Platinum Member
                  Platinum Member
                  • Nov 2003

In order to compress a DVD with TMPGEnc, you need to use DVD2AVI. Open DVD2AVI, open your first VOB (VTS_01_1.VOB, not VTS_01_0.VOB, the former contains the menu), DVD2AVI will propose to open all following VOBs. From there, click Save Project As and Choose a filename. TMPGEnc knows how to open such a file with the vfapi plugin.

For the sound, make sure you have selected the right soundtrack in DVD2AVI before clicking Save Project. DVD2AVI will generate an AC3 file that you can convert to WAV with ac3dec for example. Feed this file as the audio input to TMPGEnc...

But the best way is probably to read the excellent guides on this very website
                  "on the north side of 'wild-cat peak' the 'snow squaws' shake their winter blankets and bring forth a chill which rides the wind with goad and spur, hurling with an icy hand rime, and frost upon a dreamy land musing in the lap of Spring"

Comment

• aNU_MUNNY
                    • Jan 2004

problem in getting audio for the same vcd

Hi,
                    Thanks for the reply I used dvd2avi to convert vob files to avi but not sure whether you said me TO convert twice using dvd2avi
                    once for video aND ONCE FOR AUDIO?

YAou mentioned befroe saving the project howmany projects i have? i mena one separate for video of the movie and one seaprate for the audio of the movie?

Please clarify this i sued mpeg and created a file but when the vcd came there is noly video in it no audio

These are the softwares iam using

dvd shrink
                    dvd2avi
                    vfapi
                    tmpgenc

i VE DONE WITYH NICKS TUTORIAL THERE IS NO MENTION OF AUDIO THERE

Thanks in advance

Comment

• pieroxy
                      Platinum Member
                      Platinum Member
                      • Nov 2003

Well, several points:

First, I never talked about saving as AVI file. You whould avoid it as it is going to introduce an important loss in quality.
                      Second, Here is what you should do with DVD2AVI:
                      1. Open your VOBS,
                      2. Select the audio track,
                      3. Click Save Project. This last step will generate two files:
                      a. an AC3 file with your audio
                      b. a .d2v file, your video.
                      From there you should transform your AC3 to WAV (with ac3dec for example) and then you can open your WAV and your .d2v with TMPGEnc. You will have audio and video.

Comment

• aNU_MUNNY
                        • Jan 2004

vcd size problem..

Thankyou..I got it worked now..One and one last problem.
                        Is there a way to shrink/compress a mpeg file as my movie is going out of size from 2 vcds to 3 vcds..while only small protion of the movie left..

(i used tmpeg inc to mix the audio and video files from dvd2avi)
                        When i i go to mpeg tools it gives an opportunity to merge or cut files but not to shrink/compress the vcd file.my cds are 700 mb capctiy. mym ovie is 14.5 mb..

Please help me...

Comment

• pieroxy
                          Platinum Member
                          Platinum Member
                          • Nov 2003

When you encode your movie with TMPGEnc, you can set the bitrate for audio and video accordingly to the final filesize you want. Formula is simple: bitrate*seconds*8*1024 = filesize, where:
                          * bitrate is the sum of your audio and video bitrate
                          * seconds is the number of seconds your movie is
                          * filesize is the final filesize you want (800MB for 1 CD, 1600MB for 2 CDs...)

Keep in ming thet in VCD/SVCD modes, a 700MB cd will hold a 800MB MPEG file!

Comment

• aNU_MUNNY
                            • Jan 2004

encoding/shrinking

Thanks..so is there no way to compress once our encoding is done?

I gues while encoding only my movie became more then 14 mb into mpeg format..if i have to encode it again it will take again the total lengh of the movie right?

My curiosity was is there a way if we can shrink that final mpeg file that I have now? sorry if imisinterpeted what you said

Comment

• pieroxy
                              Platinum Member
                              Platinum Member
                              • Nov 2003

Well, once you have an MP3, can you shrink it? Yes, but with a huge quality loss compared to re-encoding the original WAV file.

So, in short, yes, you can do it. Go to see a ReMPEG2 product that trim down your MPEG2 file to a smaller size. But you will loose much more quality in this process than if you did re encode the original file.

I would reencode, but of course, that's my personal preference

Keep in mind that "encoding" is also sometimes called "compression", so when you ask "so is there no way to compress once our encoding is done?", you really ask: "Is there a way to compress a compressed file". Sure, there is, but as each of the steps is lossy, you end up factoring the losses.

Comment

Working...