X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ShenaCat
    • Jul 2005

Video too tall for TV viewing?

Hello,

I'm new to making video cds, and I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem I'm having while creating a test cd. I have some video files of recorded tv shows that I'm trying to burn onto a video cd or super video cd and then playback in my dvd player. I can get them onto the cd and then they will play in my dvd player, but the top and bottom of the screen appears to be a little cut off. Meaning, the video itself seems to be a little too big for the TV screen?

Any ideas what I could do to make this NOT happen? When I play the video back on the computer it shows up properly of course. It's a 4x3 aspect ratio which I've made sure my dvd player is set to- so it should theoretically display on the tv properly too??

Any ideas?

ETA: I'm using Nero (latest version) if that helps. I just read something about a "safety zone" margin on TVs... is this my problem? How do I get nero to fix it? Thanks...
    Last edited by ShenaCat; 18 Jul 2005, 11:37 PM. Reason: including further information
  • reboot
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Apr 2004

TV's have "overscan...that is, part of the picture is cut off on all sides by the TV. Some brands have less, some more. This is the "safety zone" you're referring to.
    To get the whole picture onto the screen, you can encode the files with about a 10% black border all the way around.
    I don't know if Nero has this option, most good standalone encoders do.
    My DVDLab (and other) Guides

Comment

• ShenaCat
      • Jul 2005

Thank you. I googled overscan and nero and found some links telling people to use a convertor named <!--StartFragment -->TMPGENC on the files first to resize it for TV. So I downloaded the program and tried it, but it won't open any of my AVI files.

I've downloaded a trial version of Ulead DVD Moviefactory which has an option to adjust for overscan, but am finding it converts the video very slowly. Nero converts and burns a 70min cd in about 1 hour while the Ulead program has been working for 4 hours and is only half done. Do you have any suggestions for better tools?

ETA: Got <!--StartFragment -->TMPGENC to work! I needed to put one of the VFAPI plugins to a higher priority than it was. Darn DivX files..
      Last edited by ShenaCat; 19 Jul 2005, 05:05 AM.

Comment

Working...