X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 15ace
    • Apr 2003

tmpgenc and mpg2 problems

Hi all

I have successfully created vcd's from avi's I have downloaded, but would love to create an svcd for the better quality.

I use tmpgenc to convert the avi file to mpeg2, but after encoding and I need to split the file to fit on cd, tmpgenc won't recognise the file it's just encoded! Also it will not play in media player or any other player I have. Can anyone tell me what's going on?

Cheers, Dave
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Use VirtualDub to split the .AVI

Use TMPGEnc to encode each of the .AVIs as "MPEG2-SuperVideoCD" (NOT simply "MPEG-2")

Comment

• 15ace
      • Apr 2003

Learned how to use Virtualdub to split an avi, encoded the result in tmpgenc only to find it isn't readable in windows media player, nor is it readable by tmpgenc! It brings up an error that says could not open this file with DirectShow, as it did before. So that's not the answer. I assume if I can encode something, then I must have the codec and can therefore decode the thing. What's going on?

Comment

• SKD_Tech
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Jan 2003

Hmm it won't render with Direct Show? Did you download this paticular file or make it yourself

It may be corrupt
        Last edited by SKD_Tech; 11 Apr 2003, 10:46 PM.

Comment

• The Edge
          Digital Video Expert
          Digital Video Expert
          • Jan 2003

Hmm it won't render with Direct Show? Did you download this paticular file or make it yourself
          I think he is referring to the MPEG-2 he created in TMPGEnc.

With ANY MPEG-2 file, your gonna need MPEG-2 filters installed to play it back. Install a DVD player, any dvd player and then media player will play the file fine. So will TMPGEnc, as it uses directshow too unlike VDub which uses VFW (goona change in VDub 2 )

Edge
          "…I know the industry is formally opposed to that kind of thing [bootlegging] but I'm not. I don't have a problem with it at all." -- Paul McGuiness"

Comment

• 15ace
            • Apr 2003

Indeed I am referring to the rendered mpeg-2 file in tmpgenc.

I have installed nvdvd already, so as you say there shouldn't be a problem with it. But there is!

Any other suggestions? I'm very grateful for the help already received.

Dave

Comment

• Sharpy
              • Apr 2003

I have this same problem using win2k, powerXP DVD, tmpgenc plus 2.510 with direct x 9.0 only having problems when editing files. I have formatted the system to no avail, I have increased Directshow priority same problem when trying to edit mpeg2 files i have tried this with 2 recent mpeg2 files, i have made it with tmpgenc and an old file that wasn't and they all give the same error about directshow not able to open the file i LOCK all my options at CBR res 720 * 480 SVCD / DVD 2400 kbps 384 sound this is the same results on a second PC with the same files also recently formatted ... I am open to suggestions !!!

i am about to try another format and try old direct x version ... but other than that i am thinking about registering and unregistering some windows files .....

mpeg 2 is my life ... plz sink some time into this one guys

TMPGenC RULES!!!

Comment

• Sharpy
                • Apr 2003

i updated my External audio tools

if you go to environmental settings and select layer 2 and download the latest version of toolame.exe and put it in this area it fixed our problem with directshow errors when going to cut or edit.

tmpgenc is my life thank god for this fix i have been down now for about 10 days ....

Comment

• 15ace
                  • Apr 2003

I tried installing a new dvd player, but that didn't work. Strangely, I've just reinstalled divx 5 and tmpgenc is currently splitting an mpeg2 file it created. I don't know how that fixed it, but it seems to have!

Comment

• Sharpy
                    • Apr 2003

Sweet , damm winders lol

Comment

Working...