Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • x000748
    • Jul 2003

COnvert DivX AVI with a52 Audio to MPEG-2

I am fairly new to this stuff. I have successfully converted a number of DivX encoded AVIs and burned them as SVCD no problem. I use VirtualDub to extract audio, TMPGEnc to encode it to MPEG-2 and NERO to burn it. Now I got some AVIs where the sound is encoded using the a52 codec (I believe!). VirtualDub nor VirtualDub_AC3 do not recognize them - report an unknown codec. I can play them in Windows Media Player OK (with sound). VideoLan plays them OK as well and tells me the codec is a52. I tried converting directly using TMPGEnc (without extracting the audio first) but that didn't work. The questions I have are:

- what is the relation of a52 to ac3?
    - how can I extract the audio from this file?

Thanks for your patience.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Sounds like you'll have to download and install the audio codec. Do a Googlesearch for "a52 codec"...

(Just so you understand - Some players, by use of playback filters, can playback audio or video despite the fact that you don't have a specific codec installed. However, conversion/editing programs such as TMPGEnc or VirtualDub require that you have the actual codec installed)

Comment

• x000748
      • Jul 2003

Ok, it makes sense but...

Google search for a52 code will return no compiled codecs. The only item making sense is the liba52 codec cource code which you have to compile yourself. I tried it but the resulting files do not make sense and I don't know what to do with them. Any other possibility? Any other sources for the codec?

Comment

• toastem
        • Apr 2003

a52 sound eh?

if i remeber correctly, a52 is the open-source LINUX project to bring AC3 compatiblity to those sytems.

Comment

• toastem
          • Apr 2003

Its a linux codec for sure!

just checked up on it, and it is the Linux AC3 codec. My best advice (which may not be the best answer) would to burn it to SVCD from a linux box, as I haven't had any success as of yet in finding a binary of the codec for windows.

Bright side is that linux is dual-bootable with windows in the NTFS and a free OS, but i understand that it might be a hassle to do...so i'll continue to look for the codec in a windows binary.

Comment

• x000748
            • Jul 2003

Here are my observations so far:

a) it seems like liba52 can be compiled on win32 but I would need more info than the cryptic files included with the package
            b) burning SVCD on linux - that's an even bigger Pandora's box...no thank you...
            c) if a52 and ac3 seem to be the same (ac3 being the dolby codec and a52 being the open source implementation of it), why can't I run VirtualDub with an ac3 codec

Maybe rather than trying to run TMPGEnc with an a52 codec, I could extract the a52 encoded audio and then run TMPGEnc with that audio file. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Comment

• toastem
              • Apr 2003

Stumped

at the moment i am stumped. I do concur that a52 CAN be complied for windows, have yet to find a prepackaged binary, or even windows source code! yout TMPGenc option might work, so go for it!

Comment

• x000748
                • Jul 2003

I would if I new of a package that would extract this freakin' a52 encoded audio. Do you know of any win32 based packages that could do that?

Comment

• toastem
                  • Apr 2003

I sadly do not know of any win32 programs that can handle the a52. However, i'm sure you don't want to hear it, but it is a linux code, and i have had much success with such on my RedHat 9 box. i'm seeing if GZIP or some of those proggies can take the a52 linux codec and recomplie it into a win32 binary! (hope that it can!) if all else fails, buring an SCVD under linux, contrary to your earlier statement, is rather easy. i've made many (S)VCD / Divx disc of my linux box, and i checked on them, some had a52... so i'm looking through my prgrams to see if there are win builds of them. (hope for that too)

Comment

• Sargeslaughter
                    • Oct 2003

10-1-03

Hello

I ran into the same problems with a divx file that had the a52 codec for its sound. My solution was to use a program called "goldwave" (audio editor). This program has the ability to open up an avi file and just save the audio(wav) file.

In the settings under options, control properties,device, make sure there is a checkmark by "High latency playback for emulated devices". save wav file, then use TMPG for the separate audio and video files to be muxed together. The sync was perfect on the resulting Mpeg file.

Have fun!

Comment

Working...