Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DayTrader
    • Sep 2003

Audio bitrate in TMPGEnc . . .

I believe I am finally beginning to get to know a little about SVCD encoding, (very little). I have a question, if my DVD source file has an audio bitrate of 192 kbps, ( it is one of my episode DVDs) then what I usually do is set the audio to 192 kbps, the reason is to allow a higher bitrate for the video. Am I correct in my way of thinking? I am asking because whenever I unlock a setting in TMPGEnc, it always responds with the message that I will no longer have a compliant SVCD disc. I had thought that so long as my combined video and audio bitrates do not exceed 2788 kbps, that I would still be in compliance with the SVCD standard. Looking at all of the templates for SVCD, I have noticed that the audio is set for 224 kbps. I remember from my old mp3 days, that if a song was recorded at 128 kbps, it was never going to improve if someone took that song recorded at 128 kbps and then re-recorded it to 384 kbps, ( if anything it may sound worse ), the reason being the material to record at 384 kbps just wasn't there.

Any help would be appreciated.

DayTrader
  • shiny#3
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Jul 2003

Tmpeg just states this to make sure that you create an absolute
    standart complying SVCD for highest compatibility.
    but a 192kbits audio stream should not cause you problems in playback....and most standalone players will play it

some older or outdated burning tools might moan a little bit
    that the choosen mpeg file is not a standart file and they might
    suggest reencoding...just deny reencoding.......and try to burn anyway.....you might loose the SVCD high packing capability
    (830mb on a 700mb CDr) then just update your burning software.

to make absolutly sure (if your burning software denies that SVCD high packing)......you could use VCD easy (gratuit software)
    to create you SVCD image and burn afterwards or let VCD easy
    burn directly (if your burner is compatible with VCD easy)

good luck!!

Comment

• Benjamin
      • Sep 2003

Use Mainconcept.....

Why is there nothing about this program? I'ts the best out there...

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"it always responds with the message that I will no longer have a compliant SVCD disc. I had thought that so long as my combined video and audio bitrates do not exceed 2788 kbps, that I would still be in compliance with the SVCD standard"

If I remember correctly, to be totally compliant, the combined bitrate must not exceed 2,744kbps - typically 2,520kbps video and 224kbps audio...

Comment

• Benjamin
          • Sep 2003

First I don't understand the problem with this bitrate. For SVCD anything more than 2600 kbps will not, for the human eye, result in a better picture. To have better, you need the resolution of DVD. Not to mention about the source you want to encode.
          But when you select MPEGII as template instead of SVCD, there is no restriction in settings of kbps.

Mainconcept will produce in some cases a better, or equal picture quality in correspondence to TMPGenc. Not to mention that Mainconcept never creates an out of sync, what very common is for TMPGenc.
          And Mainconcept can handle every audioformat. TMPGenc only CBR.....
          Last but not least: Mainconcept is very fast!! The fastest of all.

These are the things people search for when to encode to SVCD or DVD...and still you all talk about TMPGenc. It's the least program to do the job right. Even Canopus, Xing, CCE do it better.

Seems to me that people choose to buy a Toyota for 4000 dollar, when could have a Dodge Viper half the prise....Very strange.

Maybe the lack of knowledge?

(sorry for my bad Englisch)
          Last edited by Benjamin; 28 Sep 2003, 05:59 AM.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

To Benjamin

"Seems to me that people choose to buy a Toyota for 4000 dollar, when could have a Dodge Viper half the prise....Very strange."

????

Are you suggesting tha the MainConcept MPEG Encoder, at a price of $149US, is less expensive (as well as better, in your opinion) than TMPGEnc Plus, at a price of $48US?

"The standalone MainConcept MPEG Encoder features the same fast, high-quality technology that's used in popular video editing applications. The friendly interface makes it easy to convert files quickly, and the batch encoding makes it easy to be productive without having to stay at the computer. You can even combine multiple files into a single MPEG file. The MPEG Encoder now supports multiple processors including Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology. Version 1.4 adds several new features.

Operating systems: Windows 98, 98SE, 2000, Me, XP
            (DirectX 8.1 required)
            Current version: 1.4
            Price: $149 (download version)"

Comment

• Benjamin
              • Sep 2003

Considering value for money....10 times yes.

And that Toyota-Dodge thing was "sort of speak"...

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

"And that Toyota-Dodge thing was "sort of speak"..."

Sorry, but the analogy doesn't make sense...

"Considering value for money....10 times yes."

Then you are simply saying, instead, that actual cost is irrelevant - because, in your opinion, MainConcept is a better product.

Well, if that's the case, I guess everyone should purchase CCE (Cinema Craft Encoder), that retails for approximately $2,000US - and is acknowledged as the best overall encoder of this genre.

But then again, not everyone is willing, or able, to spend that much. So where should we draw the line?

(Not to mention that, for other than 30 day limit on MPEG-2 conversion, anyone can obtain a fully functional version of TMPGEnc for FREE)

Comment

• Benjamin
                  • Sep 2003

Clearly you're a TMPGEnc favorit....

And indeed actaul cost is irrelevant when the difference is that small...the difference with CCE is much bigger.

But what are we talking about, when we both know that more than 90% of those amateur movie converters (you know, those who legally download theit movies ) never paid a dollar for any encode programm....That same percentage is also spread in all encode forums on the internet....like this one.

I know it, you know it, we all know it....It's only something not to talk about. That doesnt mean that people should kept in the dark about the other programs.
                  And when you know Mainconcept, its obviously the best there is.
                  Last edited by Benjamin; 28 Sep 2003, 08:12 AM.

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

1) "That doesnt mean that people should kept in the dark about the other programs."

Of course not

2) "And when you know Mainconcept, its obviously the best there is."

You are certainly entitled to your opinion (But don't tell that to CCE users ;>})

And, of course, all of this opinion-stating has nothing whatsoever to do with "Daytrader's" reason for starting this thread...

Have a nice day
                    Last edited by setarip; 28 Sep 2003, 08:43 AM.

Comment

• Benjamin
                      • Sep 2003

U2

Comment

• DayTrader
                        • Sep 2003

I would like to thank everyone for their replies and additional info. For what it is worth, ( and back on topic ), the max bitrate I quoted, ( 2,788 ) was from another site, I believe from DVDhelp. Also the software FitCD has a default of 2,564 video and 224 audio. It was explained that this would fill the CD-R to the very edge. I have also read on several other sites that the size of 2,744 is the size to use, as it also does not push the data to the very edge. ( I guess that this qualifies as information overload ). I would be curious as to how the commercial SVCD have their specifications set up for the video and audio. Presently I am not in a position to obtain any such discs. I guess from some of the replies above, that 32 kbps either way is not going to set the world on fire as far as video quality. Once again, I really appreciate all of the additional help I have received, and to say the least, the info has saved me countless hours of duplicating the mistakes that the pros on this board have already been through.

Take Care

DayTrader

Comment

• setarip
                          Retired
                          • Dec 2001

"Once again, I really appreciate all of the additional help I have received, and to say the least, the info has saved me countless hours of duplicating the mistakes that the pros on this board have already been through."

My (Our) pleasure ;>}

Sorry the thread "veered well off course"!

Comment

Working...