Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • arjunchopra
    • Jan 2005

avseq01.dat file movie

I have a cd which has a avseq01.dat movie on it.

I cannot seem to play it on my computer .

Can someone suggest me a way to play this vcd.

Regards.

Arjun

PS : Need urgent help
  • jmet
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2002

The only thing I can think of that plays a .dat file, is the built in KaZaA media player. Maybe someone else knows of some software that can do it.

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

"I have a cd which has a avseq01.dat movie on it.
      I cannot seem to play it on my computer ."

If that is the only file on the CD, you only have one of several files required for a playable VCD.

As a first try, copy the "avseq01.dat" file to your hard drive and simply rename it to "MOVIE.MPG" (any name you prefer, as long as it ends with .MPG). Try playing with Windows Media Player.

IF that doesn't work:
      For playback on your PC, you can convert the .DAT file to an ordinary MPEG-1 file by using TMPGEnc as follows:

TMPGEnc>>File>>MPEGTools>>Merge&Cut

Load the file.

Set "Type" to "MPEG-1 System (Automatic)

Save with a new filename - with an extender of .MPG
      Last edited by setarip; 3 Jan 2005, 01:15 PM.

Comment

• ranganm
        • Jan 2005

PLEASE HELP I HAVE SIMILAR PROBLEM

Dear Sir,

I have windows media player 9.0, MP2 and also Intervideo Win dvd4 in my computer. I can play all VCDs by clicking on the AVSEQ.DAT file.

Suddenly i have come accross a set of VCDs which are not playing... and giving an error called " Cannot Playback the file, format is not supported"; Error:80040265... when trying to open in WMP.. and "The File No. 1 has invalid format" in Win DVD4.

When I try to copy the file in the Hardisk... it says "Cannot copy AVSEQ01. Invalid MS-DOS function".

These VCDs play easily in the VCD player and has no disturbances at all. The origin of these VCDs is China.

I use Windows 2000 Prof.. and do not have permission to upgrade.

Please help... if you need more details please let me know.

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

"When I try to copy the file in the Hardisk... it says "Cannot copy AVSEQ01. Invalid MS-DOS function"."

Are you trying to copy while in DOS or in Windows?

To copy while in Windows, simply "drag and drop" the file onto your desktop or into a folder...

Comment

• ranganm
            • Jan 2005

Boss, Thanks for your reply. However I am working only on Windows... and I know how to copy a file. Even when I drag and drop the Avseq01.dat file in to a folder.... it says the same thing "Cannot copy AVSEQ01. Invalid MS-DOS function". This as I mentioned earlier is happenning to a bunch of movie CDs which have been imported from China.

There are CDs which sometimes do not copy from middle of copying... and it says "27 minutes remaining..." and then suddenly it will abort copying (may be due to some dirt or scratch on the CD)..... however this one does not copy even a single dot.

One thing is... that if I do a CD copy.... by Nero or Drag'n Drop CD+ DVD - Disc Backup... then i can create a new CD... however this new CD also behaves in the same way as the original CD.

I feel there may be some patch file etc.. mssing in my computer due to which the computer is not able to read this particular set of AVSEQ01.dat file

Please help SIR!!!

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

Are you able to copy ANY files, from ANY external sources, to your hard drive? If not, your statement that, "I use Windows 2000 Prof.. and do not have permission to upgrade." may be at the root of your problem.

Either that, or some DOS/Windows support file(s) has(have) been corrupted...

By the way, why would you need permission to upgrade your own computer?

Comment

• ranganm
                • Jan 2005

Dear Sir,

Thanks for your reply. Let me explain once more :

1. I can copy any file from a CD, network, Internet to my harddisk, unless the CD is scratched or corrupt. I have a Toshiba Satellite, 40GB HDD, 244MB RAM, Hitachi DK23EA-40 DVD ROM Drive with CDRW, Windows 2000.

2. A set of Movie VCDs which were imported from China which is playing very nicely on a VCD player and a Television, is not playing in my Computer... where I have WMP-9, Real player, MP2, WinDVD4, DMream. These CDs are brand new.. and have AVSEQ.dat files... like other VCDs.

3. Although from other VCDs, these files can be copied to my computer HD, the VCDs as mentioned in point no. 2 neither play nor can the AVSEQ.Dat files be copied to my hard disk... and it is not becoz of some scratch etc... becoz it does not even copy a single dot... before saying "Cannot copy AVSEQ01. Invalid MS-DOS function". Normally when a CD is scratched or corrupt... while trying to copy the same to the Harddisk.... I get that above message when some amount of copying is done.

4. Point no. 3 is my problem. I cannot view those VCDs (as mentioned in point 2) in my computer. However these CDs can be Duplicated by "CD Copy" system in my computer.... which also behave in the same way.

5. As regards to upgrading my computer... what I meant to say is that I cannot Upgrade from Windows 2000 to XP etc... as I work with some softwares which shall not work with Windows XP.

I hope I could explain.... If you can now think of some solution and help me.

Best Regards
                Last edited by ranganm; 21 Jan 2005, 06:41 PM.

Comment

• setarip
                  Retired
                  • Dec 2001

To ranganm

I'm afraid I have no further suggestions regarding your dilemma...

Comment

Working...