Help me please

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ron
    • Nov 2001

Thanks, Wilbert. Have you ever created such a project? I'll try a short clip tonight - TMPGEnc doesn't make for quick testing...

I'm just wondering if there's any point to making higher resolution SVCD when you are cutting the bit rate, as I suspected.

I'm not concerned with squeezing feature films on to CD-r's here, if I want a movie I'll buy it. I'm looking for the best quality for documenting what no money can buy - my home movies.

Soon the "mini" will become "full" DVD projects as the media prices fall, but in the mean time - any other suggestions?

Thanks for the help,

Ron

Comment

• Wilbert
      • Nov 2001

Thanks, Wilbert. Have you ever created such a project? I'll try a short clip tonight - TMPGEnc doesn't make for quick
      No. So, tell me if it works, if the quality is good (compared to SVCD 480x480). The output filesize, etc.

I'm just wondering if there's any point to making higher resolution SVCD when you are cutting the bit rate, as I suspected.
      Depends on the bitrate I guess.

BTW, you can also store your home made movies in DivX format (say 640x(640*480/720)) - DivX4.12 2-pass, which is much better than SVCD) and to encode it later on to DVD once you bought a DVD-writer.

Comment

• ron
        • Nov 2001

"BTW, you can also store your home made movies in DivX format (say 640x(640*480/720)) - DivX4.12 2-pass, which is much better than SVCD) and to encode it later on to DVD once you bought a DVD-writer."

Now we're talking...

I'll have to read up on that DivX codec. What software is involved for home video? I'm assuming plug in the codec to my current editor and create AVI?

What makes this bettere than SVCD?

Later,

Ron

Comment

• Wilbert
          • Nov 2001

I'll have to read up on that DivX codec. What software is involved for home video? I'm assuming plug in the codec to my current editor and create AVI?
          I always use Virtual Dub, which can be downloaded from

The DivX 4.12 codec (plus DivX4 bitrate calculators) can be found on the download section of this site. Look for Divx4-guides, here, or on Dooms forum ().

What makes this bettere than SVCD?
          Several:[list=1][*]SVCD has a max. bitrate of 2520 kbps, DivX hasn't[*]SVCD uses a particular resolution, DivX doesn't[*]DivX4 compresses much better than SVCD, even using a _lower_ bitrate[*]DivX uses MP3/AC3, SVCD uses MP2[/list=1]

Of course the problem is that DVD-players can't play DivX files, at least not yet.

Comment

• ron
            • Nov 2001

Thanks for the useful info although I'll have to pass until that format is DVD viewable.

Comment

Working...