• Show
Clear All
  • rock_king_my
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Jul 2006

AVI to VCD & DVD MPEGS - Which is the best encoder

Hi

I've been using TMPGENC 2.5 & TMPGENC XPRESS 3.0 for quite a while to convert AVIs I capture from my WINTV THEATER capture card.

Unfortunately due to my PC's configuration or specs, I can only use the MPEG-4 codecs v1 & V2 to capture AVIs. If I try to do it with other codecs (I think I've tried most of them!) or do it UNCOMPRESS, I drop a LOT of frames!

My specs are:
    PENTIUM III
    128MB SDRAM
    NVIDIA RIVA TNT64 32MB GRAPHICS CARD

I like the TMPGENC software because:
    - you can choose where to start & finish the encoding, i.e. not encoding the beginning/ending bits of the AVI file
    - you can increase the volume level, i.e. I always like to double the original level (200%)
    - it has demux/remux tools (not to sure if video quality will go down if you use them)

I'm considering changing to a different mpeg encoder but most of them don't offer the above benefits. If there are any encoders that can do the above PLUS give better video quality output than TMPGENC, which ones are they?

Should I go for video editing software like ULEAD [Video or Media Studio] or CYBERLINK or INTERVIDEO?

Also, is it true you need a DECENT graphics/video card to make high video quality MPEGs?

CHEERS!
  • gonwk
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Dec 2005

I wonder if "Cyberlink" would have all that!?!?

Comment

• Chewy
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2003

you don't really have enough ram to do video conversion, even running windows 98, there's not enough left for processing well.
      the graphics card doesn't really do any work
      the PIII was a good cpu

Comment

• gmieroxx
        • Oct 2006

Originally Posted by Chewy
        you don't really have enough ram to do video conversion, even running windows 98, there's not enough left for processing well.
        the graphics card doesn't really do any work
        the PIII was a good cpu
        is that mean he might wanna add a ram sticks??

Comment

• julio50
          • Oct 2006

thanks

Comment

Working...