Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • auxilio
    • Sep 2003

playback

hello there, i have written once about some issues that i have with my mpeg video playblack...it only looks good in 320:240 resolution on my computer and also on my tv,it's just as blocky and pixelated as it is on my computer in fullscreen or 200% playback mode.
    i use a sony digital 8 to record my video and i have a dell inspiron 2650 laptop that plays dvd movies 100% so i don't kow what the problem is wiht my homemade vcd,svcd&dvd maybe someone could shine some light in this for me.

thank you very much

auxilio
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

1) Proper resolution for a MPEG1-VideoCD (VCD) is 352x240 (NTSC) and 352x288 (PAL)

2) What software and procedures are you using to create the VCDs?

3) Properly created, compliant VCDs will look far better on your television (MUCH lower resolution) than on your PC's monitor (MUCH higher resolution)

Comment

• auxilio
      • Sep 2003

yhe resolution i,m using is the standard for each format i.e. 352x240 vcd ntsc and 480x480 for svcd ntsc.
      i was expecting that the tv resolution would have been better but it was just as nasty...i've tried all types of encoders and burning programs to no avail (nero,ulead,tmpgenc,mainconcept etc.etc) but the end results were basically the same;garbage image.....it only looks decent in 352x240

thankx

Comment

• auxilio
        • Sep 2003

does it make a difference in the capture quality if my camcorder connection is by USB and not FIREWIRE? i was just wondering just in case...to disregard that idea from my mind.

Comment

• auxilio
          • Sep 2003

could i get some response from somebody...... anybody that has any experience with this matter, please,

thank you in advance

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

Once again, what software and procedures are you using to create the VCDs?

Comment

• auxilio
              • Sep 2003

ok... well first i upload whatever video i have recorded on my digital8 camcorder;sometimes i capture live in my laptop using ulead workshop,virtualdub or Dr. Divx,using usb connection.
              then i try encoding the AVI (or in the case of Ulead i sometimes capture live mpeg1&mpeg2) file to mpeg1 0r mpeg 2 VCD/SVCD compliant standard format, depending on if i'm making vcd or svcd (NTSC) I try encoding mainly with TMPGenc because i realized that ulead and nero's encoders are not as good as this.....to make this short i then burn to cd-rw first to check the result: which by the way is never good ..using anyone of these software mentioned earlier,i've even tried making DVDs i recently bought a TDK INDI EXT.DVD-RW DUAL FORMAT DRIVE but the result is the same with the DVDs....it only looks ok in 352x240 resolution.
              basically this is what i do rouhgly

thank you

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

(I'm assuming you have ample free space on your hard drive)

1) Use VirtualDub, with the HuffyUV lossless video codec, to capture video at the same resolution as that created by your sony digital 8

2) Capture audio as Uncompressed PCM (.WAV)

To create an SVCD:

1) Load .AVI file into TMPGEnc
                2) Set to "System Video and Audio" (lower right side)
                3) Click on "Setting" radio button
                4) Click on "System" tab, change mode to "MPEG2-SuperVideoCD (VBR)" (from default of "MPEG1")
                5) Click on "Advanced" tab, change "Video arrange method" to "Center (Custom Size"), change dimensions to 480x480, 352x288 or 352x240.
                6) Change "Source aspect ratio" to either "4:3 525 line (NTSC 704x480)", "4:3 525 line (NTSC)", or "16:9 525 line (NTSC)" - If you're in the PAL world choose either of the two similar PAL settings instead
                7) Under the "Video" tab, change the dimensions to 480x480, 352x288 or 352x240(Note: "Video" tab mode of "MPEG2" is okay) - set "Motion Search Precision" to "Normal Quality".
                8) Change "Rate Control Mode" to "Automatic VBR (CQ_VBR)" - Set bitrate to 2,520Kbps
                9) Press "Start"

(Or, instead of the steps 1)-9) above, you could attempt to use TMPGEnc's SVCD "wizard"/template)

Note that if your video runs longer than approximately 40 minutes, you'll have to subsequently split your MPEG2-SuperVideo CD file into two or three (or more) parts. This too can be easily and precisely accomplished using TMPGEnc. Under the "Files" dropdown menu, click on "MPEG Tools" and select the "Merge & Cut" tab. Once again, make sure to change the mode to "MPEG2-Super VideoCD (VBR)". Load your file and enter a new (.MPG) name in the "Output file" box. Then doubleclick on the ORIGINAL file's name in the window, which will bring you to the cutting area. Select your desired start and end points for the first portion, click on "Okay" which will bring you back to the first window and generate (in a sequence of three automated steps) the first new file. To create the second (and third, if necessary) new file, repeat the steps starting with "Then doubleclick on the ORIGINAL..." (be extra patient with the second half, as the program has to do more seeking to establish the beginning of the new file).

Comment

• auxilio
                  • Sep 2003

ok i'm going to try all of this and let you know what's my result...

thank you very much.

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

"thank you very much"

My pleasure ;>}

If you continue to have the same problem, you might try downloading, installing, and using a DV codec, such as MainConcept or Canopus, instead of HuffyUV...
                    Last edited by setarip; 14 Oct 2003, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Working...