• secotelli
      Gold Member
      Gold Member
      • Dec 2002

Originally posted by UncasMS
      i'd go for an 192 ogg file,
      what do you mean by this Uncas??
      what is 192 ogg file??

and when we encode with Besweet, under AC3&OGG option, which quality should i choose or should i check the "Create 5.1 Ogg Vorbis" option??

with which option i can have sound from more than 2 speakers??

i am sorry if some of my questions are so stupid, but i am helpless about these staff..

Comment

• UncasMS
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2001

192 was the bitrate which would be fairly high for ogg standards but thus a VERY good quality for this audio-based stuff you intend to convert.

i have a four point surround system connected to my pc (i.e. 4 satellites and one subwoofer) and i always create surround audio, which is fine for me and sounds way better than an ac3 stream because there is no dolbydigital hardware present here.

thus a normalized mp3/ogg sounds much better (no matter if you have 2 or 4.1 speaker)

but taste is different you see.
        try my suggested settings and create another file with for example 5.1 ogg sound and compare for yourself - in particular compare thoise files to the original ac3 audio file!

Comment

• secotelli
          Gold Member
          Gold Member
          • Dec 2002

i found where to change it.. it was 384 and i made it 192 now as your order my lord..

should i check the option which says "create 5.1 AC3" just below bitrate option??

and just below that under "Ogg Vorbis", which quality do you suggest?? 100, 150, 200 or more?? and also should i check the option "Create 5.1 Ogg Vorvis" ?

i trust you so much Uncas and your experiences.. i really will do whatelse you say... so you dont need to explain or compare them.. so dont let anything to my choice.. just tell me what to do and i do... i really dont think to go for many options and compare myself.. whatelse you say, i believe the best we can do for now..

Comment

• secotelli
            Gold Member
            Gold Member
            • Dec 2002

one more problem...

i just did anything what guide tells, but at the end when i click the green button to start conversion, at the bottom it says "transcoding" and whenever i moved the mouse, it stops and says "elapsed time: xx" ...
            what is wrong with that??
            Last edited by secotelli; 16 Jan 2003, 12:04 PM.

Comment

• UncasMS
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2001

- dont trust me; trust your ears/taste => do compare and judge for yourself what you like best.

- i thought 192 (which is an extremly high setting for ogg) would provide you with superb sound

- 192kbits would be some 0.625 quality factor in besweetgui - use any value next to it or type in any such value

- the final encoding process should open some sort of a dos-window showing besweeting working - i wouldnt know what happens on your machine

in case this dos window popped up only for a split second and disappeared afterwards, the process wasnt able to run due to lacking files.

in that case try downloading besweet version 1.4x install it and copy all those files that are in 1.4 but NOT in the newer version into the directory where the new version is located!

if besweet doesnt run azid.dll might be missing or some other file.

good luck

Comment

• secotelli
                Gold Member
                Gold Member
                • Dec 2002

i put the missing parts of BeSweet from the v1.4 and it works now...

YOU ARE GENIUS!!!

Comment

• secotelli
                  Gold Member
                  Gold Member
                  • Dec 2002

oo-oo....
                  i thought i got about 192 kb, but i am afraid i was wrong.. where i changed to 192 kb is for AC3.. for ogg, VBR quality was 0.200, and beside it, it says 90 kb.. when i changed it to 0.100 (as it is shown in your guide) then it becomes 81 kb... to come close to 192 kb (which will be 196kb) i have to take quality to 0.650...

so is that what i should do to come 19x kbs, (to make vbr quality to 0.650) ? if not where it this option about making it 192 kb...??

i hardly control myself to not break the computer..! i think i will give up encoding DivX soon... it makes my life shorter...

Comment

• secotelli
                    Gold Member
                    Gold Member
                    • Dec 2002

Uncas, i made the movie by using your guide with ogg, but it comes out movie.ogm... should i open it in VirtualdubMod and save as .avi or its better stay like that???

if i make it avi, will i lose any quality??

what do you suggest me to do now?? leave .ogm, or convert to avi??

Comment

• UncasMS
                      Super Moderator
                      • Nov 2001

- using some 0.600 as quality factor should give you an highbitrate OGG audio file.
                      you dont have to go that high but you COULD!

- OGM is a container format just like avi is (or matroska might be ): it stores your auio, video, chapter, subtitle + whatever streams

ogm is much more powerfull and better than avi.

keep ogm and dont worry.
                      ogm will be played just fine as long as oggds0995 (or newer) directshow filters are installed!

Comment

• secotelli
                        Gold Member
                        Gold Member
                        • Dec 2002

so you mean avi will be history soon??

but ogm wont work with divx playa.. on the other hand, you never talk that exact before.. if you say smt is better, then it is for sure...
                        the st´range thing is, in my first attempt i had avi file with ogg audio.. i did exactly the same thing to the next part (i am trying to encode Band of Brothers.. thats what i mean by next part), but this time it came out ogm file... i really didnt get where i made the difference...
                        anyway, but why i had never seen this kind of file in the movies i downloaded from sharereactor?? so it seems it is not famous yet ha?? do you know why??

and the last and most important question of this post for me; which quality should i go? u say 0.60 is a bit much.. what would you go with?? should i go for higher quality in war movies, or what is the tip of it??

i really owe you a dinner or so at least... you dont know what you are doing to me by saving my problems..
                        thank you Uncas..

Comment

• UncasMS
                          Super Moderator
                          • Nov 2001

do you know why??
                          i guess i do.

did you ever noticed it took ages for release groups to realise that sbc/divx3 was outperformed by modern codecs (using bframes in particular) like divx5 or xvid?

those guys stick/stuck to sbc only to realize that many other people made equal better *backups* using different routines.

and OGG as audio codec is rather new and i can only laugh my ass off seeing vite-releases which make use of xvid on the one hand and poor/outdated mp3 on the other.

if you ask me, those groups seem to take themselves and their way of transcoding a little tooooo important and dont realize what real quality/performance may look like.

ogm as container format is fairly new and taking a lok at my guide you may see that that virtualdubversion i used for my guide was only realeased one day prior to my taking the screnshots.

we're dealing with an ambitious format here, which is being worked on very much and improved almost once a week.

Comment

• secotelli
                            Gold Member
                            Gold Member
                            • Dec 2002

that was really convinceble.. i think i understood... although i am just a guy who doesnt know much about these stuffs, i can even say XviD is really not so good.. first of all (correct me if i am wrong), it looks a bit dark to me.. i mean it needs some brightness i would say... or it just comes to me like that...
                            even if u just said yes without explanation, i would go on your way.. you are kind of my hero....

what about my question about quality option... which one do you use when you convert to ogg?? 0.100, 0.300, 0.600, .....???

Comment

• secotelli
                              Gold Member
                              Gold Member
                              • Dec 2002

and also, if i dont understand wrong, u say ogg is better than ac3 too, right?? it is the best audio option for us, ha??

Comment

• UncasMS
                                Super Moderator
                                • Nov 2001

for an ordinary movie i prefer my ogg set to values of some 80 -95 kbps (as stated in the guide) - more is hardly needed, since ogg produces much better quality than mp3.

since you said you're dealing with a title that has much music in it ( at least i understood you that way) i thought that a very high ogg quality setting could be a good deal.

comparing ogg/mp3 to ac3 is a little difficult:
                                ac3 sounds just great/unbeatable when put to 5.1 hardware - otherwise, however, a well done mp3/ogg is what i prefer by far.

the reason is this:
                                playing a movie with an ac3 sound on NON 5.1 hardware will make you turn your loudness up and down all through the movie, since explosion or similar effects are very loud whereas dialogues are very silent in comparison. thus you will have a hard time enjoying this movie or rather its sound.

an mp3/ogg on the other hand can have (if you convert it properly) a normalized sound level, where most parts are equally loud. of course a surround signal can be kept inside those formats and thus an mp3 or ogg may sound very good on many pc systems and the sound may be more powerful than not normalized ac3 audio.

Comment

Working...