X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • secotelli
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Dec 2002

thank you a lot Uncas...(what is your real name by the way?? Uncas sounds funny when i use it in sentence.. )

no i am not dealing with music dvd now... i am trying to encode Band of Brothers which is a long War movie in 10 short films.. quite good.. anyway, it is because war movie, so it may need more sound to be much realistic maybe...

since i already started bombing you with my questions, you wont mind one more, will you??

does ogg supports surround speaker systems?? can we have sound from 6 speakers by ogg? (if dvd's audio track supports so of course) or it is just for 2 speakers??

Comment

• UncasMS
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2001

as i said beofre: i have 4 speakers + 1 subwoofer connected to one of my pcs and mp3 or ogg with surround signal sounds great.

i never tried ogg 5.1 though

ac3 doesnt rock, however, because of all i said before

but dont give too much on my opinion: create an mp3, an ogg and an 5.1 ogg and compare all of them to the original ac3 sound file and judge for yourself.

Comment

• secotelli
        Gold Member
        Gold Member
        • Dec 2002

ok Uncas... thanks a lot for all help...
        and by the way your guides are sooo good and helpful.. i had tried with some other guides before, but my first successful try was with your guide.. and since then, i already use your guide.. thanks for your all work... and german guide helps to my friends here too.... but are you german? if so why you always reply at midnights (for me) ?? thats why i supposed u were in america or so... strange..

Comment

• UncasMS
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2001

yes, i am german and yes i like burning midnight oil

and of course thanx for the compliments!

Comment

• secotelli
            Gold Member
            Gold Member
            • Dec 2002

Originally posted by UncasMS
            yes, i am german and yes i like burning midnight oil

and of course thanx for the compliments!
            alsooo...
            so you live in Germany.. then i have one question which i really wonder a lot.. i live in austria and my wife is austrian.. so sometimes i need german subtitles for my movies.. but there is all spanish, portuguese and scandinavian subtitles around.. german subtitles are so rare.. why is that?? do all german have perfect english that they never need it or there is another thing?? that i really asked myself a lot...

Comment

• UncasMS
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2001

to be honest, i never cared for subtitles but you might find a few of them here:

hope it helps a little

Comment

• secotelli
                Gold Member
                Gold Member
                • Dec 2002

yeeaahh...
                thats exactly what i was looking for.. actually it is not for me.. for meine ehefrau's familien..
                i just start learning german, i cant even talk yet... thats why kinos here bothers me.. i dont know how it is in germany, but here in austria all movies in movie theaters are all in german.. so i cant go cinemas anymore here.. thats why i spend most of my time on divx stuff..
                anyway thank you a lot again my friend..
                (by the way i hope you are not a fan of bayern münchen, cause i definitely hat'em..

Comment

• secotelli
                  Gold Member
                  Gold Member
                  • Dec 2002

one more thing... i heard new divx codec is exist now... so do you suggest me go for new codec or continue with 5.02 ?? u told me 5.02 was best for encoding.. so is it still better or should i go with new one now?? and also if i need to go with new one by now, has gordianknot upgraded for new codec yet?

and should i better install new codec on system?? if so, should i delete the old one or it just upgrades itself when we install?
                  Last edited by secotelli; 29 Jan 2003, 10:40 AM.

Comment

• Batman
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Jan 2002

Divx 5.03 is not compatible with GKNOT. There may also be other bugs. Many people who have tested the divx 5.03 pro codec have not seen any improvement in quality.

Comment

• secotelli
                      Gold Member
                      Gold Member
                      • Dec 2002

oh thank you Batman...
                      so if i understood right, i better wait some more time for the bugs get fixed...

Comment

• UncasMS
                        Super Moderator
                        • Nov 2001

- sometimes german cinemas do show movies in english (seldom that is however)

- yes, too bad i AM a fan of FCB (and thus i might have to delete any further indecent remarks on this topic )

- divx 5.0.3 is not worth using IMHO; c.f. the dixv503 thread

- gordianknot has not yet been updated, though i have heard from two other authors of converting tools, that it only took them some minutes to do so.
                        DVX is capable of using divbx 5.0.3 already and it has been my number transcoding tool for quite some time now.

- 5.0.3 de-installs the previous version thus no ned to manually uninstall 502 - i'd not recommend using it though!!
                        Last edited by UncasMS; 29 Jan 2003, 01:09 PM.

Comment

• Batman
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          • Jan 2002

According to a posting by TheWef (author of GKNOT) on the doom9 forums, it could take some time before GKNOT is complaint with the divx 5.03 codec.

Comment

• UncasMS
                            Super Moderator
                            • Nov 2001

maybe he is planing something bigger

Dolemite (author of DVX) implemented it directly after divx503 hit the ground.

Comment

• Batman
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              • Jan 2002

Hopefully TheWef intends to "shake up" the digital encoding world again

Dolemite seems to work very fast

Comment

• secotelli
                                Gold Member
                                Gold Member
                                • Dec 2002

ok then i continue encoding my movies with the way i know already.. since i hear from you anything better than 5.02, i wont change the things on my side Uncas...

Comment

Working...