i wanna make my movies with AC3...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Maynard
    • Jan 2003

I have seen a picture quality improvement with the 5.03 version but it's very buggy. Any time there's suddenly alot of action the bitrate bottoms out and it looks like crap for 20 minutes into the movie. But when it's working good the quality, I think, is a little better. I'm making some test clips now to see if it would be worth just uninstalling 5.03 and using 5.02 or if I should just re-encode the bad sections using 5.03.

Comment

• The Maynard
      • Jan 2003

I retract that statement. I have seen no improvement in quality between the two. So I have uninstalled 5.03 and reinstalled 5.02.

Comment

• MrSnail
        • Jun 2002

Originally posted by UncasMS
        i guess i do.

did you ever noticed it took ages for release groups to realise that sbc/divx3 was outperformed by modern codecs (using bframes in particular) like divx5 or xvid?

those guys stick/stuck to sbc only to realize that many other people made equal better *backups* using different routines.

and OGG as audio codec is rather new and i can only laugh my ass off seeing vite-releases which make use of xvid on the one hand and poor/outdated mp3 on the other.

if you ask me, those groups seem to take themselves and their way of transcoding a little tooooo important and dont realize what real quality/performance may look like.
        Yeah but you have to remember that the release groups (like vite, dcn, epic etc) have to encode thier movies using the TDX rules.

So while the vite encoder may think that divx5 and ogg audio would make a superior rip if done correctly, if they released it like that, it would be nuked (a bad release with something wrong with it. up to the topsite admin whether to nuke it. if nuked, it wont be very widely distributed) off the topsites for not following the rules (as in the codec is not allowed).

The resolution has to be correct, codecs, file size, aspect ration etc or the release will be nuked.

Therefore they can't afford to release nuke worthy rips or the other release groups will beat them and they'll get a bad repurtation.

You can find the full rules here: http://tdx2002.tk/
        If at first you don't succeed, give up.

Comment

• Batman
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Jan 2002

Wow release groups are tougher than organized religion

Yes rip groups have rules. What they use isn't always the best. You should do your own tests and from your experience determine which encoding method suits you best.

Comment

• UncasMS
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2001

Wow release groups are tougher than organized religion
            and ignorant to improvements

crappy rules if you ask me.

why do they change from 3.11 to xvid but still stick to mp3 128?

rotflmao when reading such bloody pathetic rules

on the other hand i dont care for releases groups or releases anyway
            Last edited by UncasMS; 30 Jan 2003, 11:53 AM.

Comment

• Batman
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Jan 2002

Well not entirely ignorant, after all they did just start using xvid
              However, I doubt they will use any codec from DXN, no matter how good, due to their belief that DXN "souled out". For these groups piracy seems to be a pseudo-religious quest

Comment

• UncasMS
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2001

after all they did just start using xvid
                c.f. my editing

using xvid and mp3 is simply ridiculious

ogg vorbis should be the one and only choice when trading 3.11 for xvid.

call me sarcastic, but it seems to be a bunch of lamers form my p-o-v as long as i have to read stupid rules like those mentioned above.

they contradict themselves

Comment

• Batman
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Jan 2002

The internet is a place where people in dead end jobs and 6 inch think glasses, can take control These groups are to some degree insane

XVID+AC3 is a popular choice for these groups. It's a good choice for 2 cd rips in my opinion. Depending on the movie and size constraints mp3 may not be much of a bad choice (for a 2cd rip of LOTR mp3 audio should be fine). I think ogg as a container (*.ogm) files would be a great idea. However, about ogg vorbis I haven't heard overwhelmingly good comments or heard any convincing samples.

Comment

• UncasMS
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2001

heard overwhelmingly good comments or heard any convincing samples.
                    well, i neither care too much for other peoples opinion nor did i hear anything but good comments about ogg vorbis.

but most important: i testet ogg vorbis very much and i can definitely say: it is more than worth a try/time to change!

ogm is a better container formart (i doubt anyone being familiar with the different types would claim the opposite - but most people havent even used/tried it and cant judge this format at all!)

dont get me wrong guys - lets agree to:
                    to each his own

but i dont want to hear stupid rules or arguing that mp3 should be used for this or that reason.
                    i have quite a good deal of experience comparing these formats and my impression is: those people setting up those crap-rules hardly ever test new routines/formats and thus dont seem to have a clue what they claim as the ultimate rule/way of transcoding.
                    Last edited by UncasMS; 30 Jan 2003, 12:37 PM.

Comment

• Batman
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • Jan 2002

dont get me wrong guys - lets agree to:
                      to each his own

but i dont want to hear stupid rules or arguing that mp3 should be used for this or that reason.
                      That's music to my ears! What tools/routines/formats are used should be used solely on their technical superiority. I agree that these tdk rules are mostly nonsense as they take away the flexiblity to experiment with new formats and create better encodes.

Comment

• MrSnail
                        • Jun 2002

why do they change from 3.11 to xvid but still stick to mp3 128?
                        TDX says: "MUST BE VBR! NO CBR MP3!"

And in my opinion variable bitrate is better than constant bitrates.

Comment

• UncasMS
                          Super Moderator
                          • Nov 2001

And in my opinion variable bitrate is better than constant bitrates.
                          and most people who are very familiar with audio and container formats (especially avi in this case) will tell you the complete OPPOSITE!

vbr and avi is said to be inferior, because the header information that vbr has to send.
                          (c.f. the ongoing discussion on doom9 forum)

ogg vorbis is my first choice for vbr audio and the ogm container is much more powerful than avi!

i havent used anything else lately and i'm sure i will not change back to avi or mp3 ever again

Comment

• MrSnail
                            • Jun 2002

Each to thier own

Comment

• Batman
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              • Jan 2002

VBR mp3 in an *avi container causes problems....that's why ogm was invented

Comment

• MrSnail
                                • Jun 2002

What kind of problems ?

And what's OGM ?

Comment

Working...