Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

These rips, I'm very positive, won't be any different from the DVD rips we have all done for ourselves. I don't see anything, judging by those provided values, that distinguishes their rips from any that we can make ourselves. Heck! I can probably gather a few of my friends who know how to encode and make a, what-you-call-it, rip group.

Rome hasn't been build overnight too
    But this movie will be watched in a few hours time. And Rome is still standing and 'in use' too, you know.

Comment

• MovieRipper
      • Mar 2002

Originally posted by andreaskorth

Disagree. DivX is superior to MPEG-2, thus you'll never come even close to the size of the VOB files even if you don't limit the bitrate. Besides, the VOB files usually contain additional audio tracks and subtitles which are not included in your final movie.

Could somebody kindly provide me with one of those Dominion or Vite Rips (Episode I or Shrek preferably)? I've never seen one of them and since they're praised so much, I'm eager to take a look.

You're so right but there's somthing to it I think. The quality of the movie for example. I could be wrong but isn't se7en a rather dark movie. Dark scenes don't usually take up much bitrate so that would explain it I think.

I can provide you with the Dominion- and Vite rips, just tell me how you wanne do this. Mailing the CDs is gonna be hard since I'm not from the US. If you have an FTP server or if you want to trade another way. Just let me know

Comment

• MovieRipper
        • Mar 2002

Originally posted by Enchanter
        These rips, I'm very positive, won't be any different from the DVD rips we have all done for ourselves. I don't see anything, judging by those provided values, that distinguishes their rips from any that we can make ourselves. Heck! I can probably gather a few of my friends who know how to encode and make a, what-you-call-it, rip group.
        Wouldn't be sure about that one. Lets look at this quality-wise. Some dark scenes in a movie (mostly the older ones) of a bad contrest. even if the scene is dark, there still is a white fog. What if we could remove the fog from that certain scene. Wouldn't this automatically lower the bitrate since that fog has not to be encoded?

Comment

• Enchanter
          Old member
          • Feb 2002

In the case of an old movie, I would be considering the use of a smoother filter or the like.

Comment

• MovieRipper
            • Mar 2002

In the case of an old movie, I would be considering the use of a smoother filter or the like.
            Now we're talking. Just filter it scene by scene. You'll see

Comment

• Enchanter
              Old member
              • Feb 2002

Huh? Don't really get what you meant, but this smoother will definitely slow down your encoding speed. Worth it if you can get the desired results though.

Comment

• UncasMS
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2001

se7en does indeed not need much space even with max. bitrate.

try, however, charly's angels!
                with a bitrate of 6000-10000 you wont get away with less than 2000mb!

and btw: no other tool except for NANDUB is capable of 2 pass encoding with divx3
                Last edited by UncasMS; 27 Mar 2002, 09:53 PM.

Comment

• Enchanter
                  Old member
                  • Feb 2002

and btw: no other tool except for NANDUB is capable of 2 pass encoding with divx3
                  Thanks, Uncas. That clears some of the suspicions in my mind.

Comment

• MovieRipper
                    • Mar 2002

Huh? Don't really get what you meant, but this smoother will definitely slow down your encoding speed. Worth it if you can get the desired results though.
                    OK. Here we go. Normally when you encode a movie, you set a desired avarage bitrate that will be used for the whole movie and every scene. However, some scenes can even look good if you go below that bitrate but because you encode the movie in full, those scenes take up more bitrate then they actually need.

If you encode them seperatally, you can change the desired bitrate scene by scene, making it possible for the codec not to use more bitrate then needed for that certain scene and getting the same quality results.

I'm testing this right now as we speek with an 82 frame scene (going from black screen into a logo). When I encoded it with an avarage 200, the filsize was 45KB. If I did it with 910, it was 65 KB and the same quality.

Imagine doing this the whole movie. Wouldn't that reach our goal. Highest quality at lowest bitrate?

Comment

• Enchanter
                      Old member
                      • Feb 2002

Got what you mean there, but still it is a waste of time. Any VBR encoding methods would do more or less the same thing. Nandub even allows you to manipulate the curve compression so that it more or less achieves the same thing.

I know it is not exactly as accurate as your method, but not many are willing to spend so much time to so painstakingly encode individual scenes. There are many complications, including unpredictable filesize (not to mention making sure that all of the separately encoded scenes will fit nicely into the target size), and disorganisation from having so many separate video files scatterred here and there. The former will easily scare off many, including me.

Comment

• andreaskorth
                        • Mar 2002

I read an article on a big Dutch VCD encoder company that encoded the movie scene by scene to obtain the best quality. I know what you're gonna say: "this guy is nuts!". [/B]
                        The question is if it is really worth the effort. You can turn ripping into a science of its own but if I really love a certain movie, I don't bother buying the DVD, particularily special editions with lots of extras which are really worth the money.

I only rip movies that I don't want to buy since they are nice yet not extraordinary. I don't want to spend too much time trying to achieve the best possible quality. I'm satisfied to end up with a reasonable 1-CD rip.

After all, you can't achieve a higher quality than that of the movie on the DVD. If the transfer from film is not well done (which is the case with many movies such as Titanic) there's nothing you can do about it.

Comment

• MovieRipper
                          • Mar 2002

Totally agree. Hell I even just did this as a test. Never plan (or maybe just once to see what happends) on doing this myself. With just the right motion detection settings and bitrate curve altering, you could do pretty much the same. This brings us back to the original question on how Domminion does their famous high-quality rips. I think that specification of the bitrate for a certain part of the movie (using nandub or my cruel suggested method) is what they are doing instead of some global SBC encoding. After all, things like Nandub SBC are a DVD-ripper DIVX-encoder's dream. But nevertheless it's sometimes so complicated to set up the right combination for your movie, that people don't understand what they're doing (heell, even I don't sometimes). Luchally there are a couple of things out there (like Gordian Knot) who help more or less automize this with pretty good accurassy so SBC isn't totally unreachable.

Comment

• techno
                            Digital Video Master
                            Digital Video Master
                            • Nov 2001

Hi there.

The new vidomi can do a 2pass.

But, I prefere NANDUB!

Techno

Comment

• MovieRipper
                              • Mar 2002

Told you guys there was a belgian guy who could compress like we never compressed before. Just read this

The company MILLENNIUM GATE N.V. is proud to present a new strong technological performance of the Belgian electronic wizard Guillaume Defossé: a standard NOKIA 9210 adapted with his DGS-Operating System able to play a full feature movie @ 25 frames per second. The test movie is 108 minutes. The movie is stored on only one flash memory card of 16 MB (from which 11 MB is used for the OS and other software!). Guillaume optimized also the power consumption to 15 hours. Also great for PDA's

Don't say I didn't tell ya.

Comment

• Enchanter
                                Old member
                                • Feb 2002

The problem with this is that you need a special hardware for this and we, the humble peasants, simply cannot all afford it.

Nandub is great and once you have understood its capabilities well, it's only a matter of curve manipulation.

Comment

Working...