Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lord_Anselhelm
    • Dec 2003

Good Alternative To FlaskMPEG?

I've been using FlaskMPEG for a while, since it's a great program for converting dvds to avi files. In order to use it, I always rip the DVD to my hard drive first, then read the ifo files in the program to encode the specific part of the dvd I want, such as the different episodes on a Futurama DVD.

However, for reasons unknown, FlaskMPEG now refuses to load because of some stupid errors.

So, I need to know a good program which allows you to pick the parts of a ripped dvd you want to encode from the ifo files, which can output to avi, and which allows dual pass encoding without having to go back and do it again manually each time.

Any thoughts/ideas?
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Those errors indicate a corrupted support file. Have you tried simply uninstalling (then rebooting) and then reinstalling Flask?

As an alternative, MPEGMediator Special Edition can read from .IFOs in a manner very similar to Flask...

Comment

• Lord_Anselhelm
      • Dec 2003

The files come in a zip, so there's nothing to install or uninstall. I'll see if I can grab the file from a mirror and see whether the file within the zip was corrupt, but it's the same version that used to work fine before.

I'll give MPEGMediator Special Edition a try though, so thanks.

Comment

• infiniter
        • Dec 2003

Well, I've tried FlaskMPEG once, but I have to say it's absolute crap compared to DVD2AVI, DVD2SVCD or GordianKnot, yes even DVDx.
        Please, at least try to use one of the above mentioned ones.

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

1) "The files come in a zip, so there's nothing to install or uninstall."

The fact that you initially downloaded a zip file and unzipped it does not mean there is NOW "nothing to install or uninstall."

2) "I'll see if I can grab the file from a mirror and see whether the file within the zip was corrupt, but it's the same version that used to work fine before."

I did not say that a file was ORIGINALLY corrupt (Especially not when you said you'd previously been using it successfully) - I'm suggesting that, as happens MANY times, a file BECOMES corrupted.

3) "I'll give MPEGMediator Special Edition a try though, so thanks."

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

• ormonde
            Digital Video Explorer
            • Dec 2003

Also, I would add, if you are getting any type of "Runtime" errors, this could be the result of your having spyware residing on your computer. Try downloading a free spyware utility and run it to check.

Comment

• Enchanter
              Old member
              • Feb 2002

I would personally ditch Flask and move on to GordianKnot or DVX.

Comment

• Lord_Anselhelm
                • Dec 2003

Originally posted by infiniter
                Well, I've tried FlaskMPEG once, but I have to say it's absolute crap compared to DVD2AVI, DVD2SVCD or GordianKnot, yes even DVDx.
                Please, at least try to use one of the above mentioned ones.
                *sigh*

Please try and be objective about these things. Keep in mind that I need the ifo reading functionality to distinguish between different titles on an already ripped dvd. I also need dual pass batch encoding with divx, and flaskmpeg has never done me wrong before. DVD2AVI doesn't do what I need, and it doesn't do audio in the same go - I have to do that afterwards manually.

Also, I would add, if you are getting any type of "Runtime" errors, this could be the result of your having spyware residing on your computer. Try downloading a free spyware utility and run it to check.
                As for spyware, I'll run adaware again and check to make sure, but I don't think there's anything. Can't hurt to try though.

I would personally ditch Flask and move on to GordianKnot or DVX.
                I'll give them a try. I've got to say that MPEGMediator Special Edition was a big let down in terms of functionality and ease of use, so hopefully one of those will work better.

Comment

• Enchanter
                  Old member
                  • Feb 2002

"I'll give them a try. I've got to say that MPEGMediator Special Edition was a big let down in terms of functionality and ease of use, so hopefully one of those will work better."

Check out UncasMS's guide on GK or DVX. That will greatly help smooth the learning curve.

Regards.

Comment

• Lord_Anselhelm
                    • Dec 2003

Learning curve? I'm not a n00b when it comes to video editting, I just want to be able to use my software once more

I think you guys are missing the point. I know there's other software out there that does encoding a different way to FlaskMPEG, but I need a program that does it in a similar way, at least until I can get the blasted thing working.

Comment

• Enchanter
                      Old member
                      • Feb 2002

I did not mean to insult your intelligence, Lord_Anselhelm. As good GK or DVX is (esp. compared to Flask), one still needs to learn on how to use their GUIs regardless of "amount of experience". Reading guides on them will make life easier.

You might want to try out XMPEG (a derivative of Flask) if you insist on having Flask-like GUI though.

Regards.

Comment

• Lord_Anselhelm
                        • Dec 2003

I still am unable to resolve the problem with FlaskMPEG.

Does anyone have a clue why it would have worked fine before I reinstalled Windows XP???

Could it be missing some sort of visual basic runtimes or something that used to make it work?

Comment

• JackT
                          • Jun 2002

I got *exactly* the same error when i upgraded to XP and tryed to use Flask the same way I did for 2 years on WinMe.

UncasMS told me to try GK which I did and i'll tell you, you dont know what you have been missing by still using Flask...

IMHO, of course

Comment

• Lord_Anselhelm
                            • Dec 2003

Yeah, but does it let you easily convert single episodes (listed in the ifo file) from an already ripped DVD? I always rip the entire contents of the dvd to my hard drive first, so would I have to extract the items indivudually to use it? And will it still give me dual pass encoding with divx???

Comment

• JackT
                              • Jun 2002

Yes, it does dual pass encode

For the single episodes I dont know because I use SmartRip and only select the title I want.

Comment

Working...