DivX to DVD mpeg conversion?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • juicer
    • Dec 2004

I am trying VSA video converter and once it parsed the file, it will now take about 3 hours... the good news being that it is now over 15% complete and hasn't spit it back in disgust... yet. I'll post back with the results and thanks again for the road map.

Comment

• juicer
      • Dec 2004

Get the popcorn ready. VSA DVD converter did the trick.
      I realized after the conversion was nearly complete that it was to MPEG-1 format not MPEG-2 since I selected CVD instead of DVD compatible. Anyway, I just tried the DVD version for giggles and it reported that the procedure would take about 10 hours. Yikes! The CVD conversion was just shy of 3 hours.
      I may run it overnight and see what will ultimately be the difference.
      Meanwhile, I am using Divx to DVD (hopefully to burn via Nero) and it has gone beyond the glitch point that I had been running into. Hope is running rampant.

Comment

• ormonde
        Digital Video Explorer
        • Dec 2003

"VSA DVD converter did the trick."

Do you mean "AVS" video converter? It sounds as if you may be on the road to a resolution of your problem - good luck!

Comment

• juicer
          • Dec 2004

With the exception of sleep deprivation induced dyslexia...the problem may be solved.

Comment

• juicer
            • Dec 2004

Not so OK yet. I used AVS Video Converter 3.1 and was able to convert non DVD compliant MPEG to MPEG-2 DVD compliant but results in audio out of synch. Any thoughts?

Comment

• ormonde
              Digital Video Explorer
              • Dec 2003

"Any thoughts?"

Try this:

In TMPGEnc (the regular encoding program NOT DVD Author), after you have loaded the mpeg file, click the "Setting" button at the bottom of the main dialog. Click on the "Advanced" tab and double-click on "Source Range". In that dialog at the bottom, there is an "Audio Gap Correct" window that will allow you to correct the audio by using a plus or minus value. Click OK to exit both the "Source Range" and "Mpeg Setting" dialogs. Then go to "File" > "Output to File" and select "Mpeg File".

Comment

• juicer
                • Dec 2004

I was able to convert using AVS so that I could burn this new file if I wanted to using Nero. Odd though, just as with the original mpeg file, the new file converted by AVS Video Converter is also rejected (unsupported) when I try to insert it into TMPGEnc (yes the regular one not author... I was listening). So where do I go from here?

Comment

• ormonde
                  Digital Video Explorer
                  • Dec 2003

"the new file converted by AVS Video Converter is also rejected (unsupported) when I try to insert it into TMPGEnc"

The only other thing I can suggest is try and open it (Add File) in "DVD Author" (NOT TMPGEnc) and output the mpeg to a DVD file structure to see if that does not somehow "Fix" the synch problem. If DVD Author rejects the file, then I'm afraid I will be unable to suggest anything else.

Comment

• juicer
                    • Dec 2004

Author accepted it so (you're not off the hook) the next step would be... do I check the first screen where it offers re-encode the audio using the output format of the track??
                    RSVP

Comment

• ormonde
                      Digital Video Explorer
                      • Dec 2003

"do I check the first screen where it offers re-encode the audio using the output format of the track??"

If the file is already mpeg-2, I would leave that unchecked, but if the output ends up still out of sync, run it again with "re-encode the audio using the output format of the track" checked.
                      Last edited by ormonde; 7 Jan 2005, 04:19 PM.

Comment

• juicer
                        • Dec 2004

Didn't fix it unchecked so I'm running it now with the re-encoding option checked.
                        It's going to take another 1/2 hour and it's EST here so I may just check it as I sleepwalk later.

Comment

• juicer
                          • Dec 2004

Not fixed when "audioi re-encoding" checked either. Drats!

Comment

• ormonde
                            Digital Video Explorer
                            • Dec 2003

"Drats!"

Sorry...

Comment

• juicer
                              • Dec 2004

Thanks for all your help.

Comment

• juicer
                                • Dec 2004

I'm back!
                                Just when I was about to give up, I copied the file from the other computer where I had been accessing the file via network and pasted on this desktop... this time VSO Divx to DVD accepted the file?? It may be causally or only temporaly related, much like the outcome of a rain dance... it generally has a lot to do with timing!
                                Anyway, while it did transfer, I still have a gradually increasing loss of synchronicity between the audio and video. Is this hopeless as described above ad nauseum.
                                Regards from one with the tenacity of a pit bull!
                                PS...Stumbling through this process I feel like someone trying to understand dentistry by staring intently at a toothbrush.

Comment

Working...