Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lahteb
    • Jan 2004

Converting DIVX Files

I've downloaded some video files and would like to convert them so that I may (burn them and) play them on my DVD player.

How do I go about doing this? I am kinda clueless...
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

One set of procedures (other posters may/probably will suggest alternative methods) would be:

1) Use "TMPGEnc" (or "TMPGEncPlus") to convert the .AVI (DivX-compressed or otherwise) to compliant MPEG2-for-DVD format - Use "TMPGEnc's" DVD wizard/template to accomplish this

2) Use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (a different program than "TMPGEnc") to easily create the required additional DVD files and structure (and chapters and a menu, if you wish)

**If the combined filesize of the DVD "package" written to your hard drive is greater than 4.37Gb, use DVD Shrink (or similar) to compress

If your O/S is either Win2000 or WinXP, TMPGEnc DVD Author can also burn your DVD. Otherwise, use NERO to burn in "DVD-Video" mode
    (As an alternative to "TMPGEnc DVD Author", you could use "DVDLab")

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• flyingcat
      Suspended
      • Mar 2005

perfect converter

hello, months ago i purchase ImTOO DVD Ripper, it can converter many video formats such as VCD, SVCD, DivX...... i also like its quick speed. i recommend you to try it. download it from here
      http://www.imtoo.com/downloads/dvd-ripper.exe. Or visite their website, i think there are many good software. i hope otherwise there is one can by liked by you. Good luck!

Comment

• admin
        Administrator
        • Nov 2001

@flyingcat: all your posts are there to promote ImToo and Xilisoft software title (Xilisoft is also an ImToo reseller, or at least sells badged ImToo software, if I'm not mistaken). This can be considered SPAM/advertising, and you can get banned for it (as well as ImToo software being removed from Digital Digest).
        Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• sfheath
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Sep 2003

Flyingcat doesn't seem to read threads he's posted to .. five so far?
          This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• admin
            Administrator
            • Nov 2001

flyingcat has been banned. All of flyingcat's other posts have been deleted.

If flyingcat ever signs up again as a different user and posts the same kind of crap, all imtoo software will be filtered out of this forum, and the software removed from Digital Digest.
            Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• dwflo
              • Apr 2005

I have 3 Divx movies that are Widescreen 16:9 and AC3 audio. The video is exellent, but I do not have a divx capable dvd player.

Have tried several of the conversion programs, but all seem unable to put out what is put in. The video is allways 4:3, either letterboxed or full screen. The audio is always PCM stereo.

Some have claimed to keep the DVD complient output, the same as the original. Even checking the settings, according to the Help, does not give the correct results. I have spent many waisted hours, testing these conversion applications, and still have not been able to get what I want.

Any suggestions? I am sure there is something I have overlooked somewhere, just haven't figured it out.

Comment

• reboot
                Digital Video Expert
                Digital Video Expert
                • Apr 2004

What apps have you tried?
                My DVDLab (and other) Guides

Comment

• dwflo
                  • Apr 2005

@reboot
                  Jeez, just about every program I could download and install.
                  Lets see...
                  Ace Video Workshop
                  Allok AVI to DVD, SVCD, VCD Converter
                  AVI, Divx, Mpeg to DVD Converter and Burner
                  Blaze Media Pro
                  ImToo AVI Mpeg Converter
                  WinAVI Video Converter
                  Xilisoft AVI Mpeg Converter (same as ImToo)
                  Zealot AVI to VCD, SVCD, DVD Converter

That's Just a partial list. Can't remember all the names, but there were quite a few.

WinAVI seems to do better than most, but still get crappy video. HDTV's show up everything, just like something watchable, with 5.1 audio.

I know converting a DVD to Divx back to a DVD is going to have some loss in video quality. Would like to think it can be accomplished with some reasonable results. Maybe not, I dunno!!!

Comment

• reboot
                    Digital Video Expert
                    Digital Video Expert
                    • Apr 2004

Of all those, the only one I even would remotely attempt, is WinAVI, and it's near the bottom of a very long list of crappy software.
                    If you want to keep DD5.1, then invest in a GOOD encoder.
                    You'll also need to have a good audio extractor, this is providing your downloads actually contain DD5.1 audio (not bloody likely).
                    Try VSO Divx To DVD. At least you should get someting watchable.
                    Then start reading about Canopus Procoder Express, Mainconcept mpeg encoder, CCE, and even the lowly (and extremely slow, but high quality) tmpgenc.
                    Learn how to do audio separately. Learn how to use virtualdub. Learn how to frameserve.
                    Then once you have it completely mastered, go out and buy the DVD, and save yourself some grey hair
                    My DVDLab (and other) Guides

Comment

• dwflo
                      • Apr 2005

@reboot
                      Your advise will be taken. As a former user of DVDtoSVCD, I am aware of the challenge. I do not work anymore, so I have plenty of time to do whatever.

It is much easier to buy or rent the movie than going through all the hassle, which I do. This is just a way of keeping my brain from getting stale.

As for the grey hair...already got that.

Comment

Working...